Old 21 May 2010, 04:22 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help RE my crash

Not sure how many of you saw:
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...t-so-good.html

However short of it is the insurance have offered me £2850 for the car
- 13% because my convictions where not disclosed at the point of inspection? WTF they where disclosed when I took out the policy.
- £500 policy excess, Now although myself my insures and my solictiors and probably everyone whos seen a description of the crash knows its not my fault the TPI is still trying to claim his innocence (even though the police are sending him on a driver alertness course and not myself)....I assume I will get this £500 back once the TPI accepts responsibility?

What I also know need to do is provide the issures with proof that the car was worth far more than this £2850 that the independant valuer claims.

If you have any links to adverts for a 1997 import wrx sti I would like you to post it on this here thread please.

If its on a forum then that forum needs to allow guests to view the for sale section as I will be sending my insurer everything via email as I am now living in Germany.

Also if you spot a similar car with close to 380BHP then post that too.

Cheers

Last edited by Smurf2k; 21 May 2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 21 May 2010, 04:28 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

Heres a version 3 http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1559328.htm £4200
Heres a version 5 http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1472348.htm £6495

Now since mine wsa a version 4 (pretty well modified too) I would expect the price to be somewhere inbetween those say around £4900 plus all mods where disclosed and there is a lot of them.

And here is a type r version 4 slap bang in the middle of those prices http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1614829.htm

A version 3 that has sold proving the value http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1640357.htm
A version 4 http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1716364.htm

Sorry guys as you can prob tell I am a little peeeeed off today with this offer......

Last edited by Smurf2k; 21 May 2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 21 May 2010, 05:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems you have just done a pretty good job yourself.

I don't understand this bit:- "- 13% because my convictions where not disclosed at the point of inspection? WTF they where disclosed when I took out the policy" ????

Have you received further convictions since policy inception?
Old 21 May 2010, 05:08 PM
SkydiveMacca
Scooby Regular

Surely your convictions are stated on your insurance documents, so they can't quibble this??
Old 22 May 2010, 08:50 AM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Seems you have just done a pretty good job yourself.
Thanks but that was just a quick 5 min job, I would like to provide as many links as posible to them rather than just a couple.
Originally Posted by pslewis
I don't understand this bit:- "- 13% because my convictions where not disclosed at the point of inspection? WTF they where disclosed when I took out the policy" ????

Have you received further convictions since policy inception?
Yes when i took out the policy I had 3 points for speeding which i told them about.

Then during the yr I aquired 6 points for not informing the police of who was driving my vehicle. These would have been discolsed at the time of renewal which is how I thought it worked?

Last edited by Smurf2k; 22 May 2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 22 May 2010, 09:34 AM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It you disclose the 6 points or did you just expect they would know you had 6 additional points?

Last edited by M4RKG; 22 May 2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 22 May 2010, 09:38 AM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

No I didnt disclose the 6 points, and no i didnt just expect them to know.
I would of disclosed the 6 points at renewal. Since my insurance was already paid up...
Old 22 May 2010, 09:38 AM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

oh... just got what you meant.

No, the 6 points should be disclosed when you get them, not at the next renewal
Old 22 May 2010, 09:44 AM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

With regard to the excess, if the TPI admits liability, then you can claim your excess back (plus injury, expenses, out of pocket loss') through your policies legal protection, or a solicitor.

RE: the mods to your car, get purchase receipts, prices from websites, the more proof of prices you get the better... and when getting comparables for the actual cars value, make sure the cars you prove are within 10-15miles of you, same year, similar mileage.

... i've known policyholders go back and forth 3 or 4 times to the insurer after being offered settlements and insurer has increased everytime, badger them til the very end
Old 22 May 2010, 09:50 AM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

When someone wrote my car off last year ( a tidy version 2 STi) all I got was £2800, even though I had provided all the service records for the last 3 years that I had owned it and reciepts for all mods.
The inspector looked up on autotrader.com and pistonheads and said that £2800 was a good price even though I did not!

I claimed my excess back but it took about 4 months!
Old 22 May 2010, 10:04 AM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

My insurance company have most of the reciepts for the vehicle already. As the crash happend a week before I moved out to Germany I just tried to rush sending them all the docs so never got copies
Old 22 May 2010, 10:48 AM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

None the less they have the receipts so should be okay... just get as many comparables as possible
Old 22 May 2010, 01:08 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Have you given the insurance company the V5? If not, then hold on to it. Put it in writing that they are not to dispose of the car until you have agreed a valuation in case you need to have an independent valuer look at it. That will start to cost them money so they may be more inclined to negotiate. If they dispose of it against your instructions you have them over a barrel.
Old 23 May 2010, 11:55 AM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

They claim the valutaion was done by an indepdent valuer, but if i contact them they wont disclose the details as the insurance company have a confidentiality agreement with them.

My insurance claim this company has valued my car at £2850. However they will not of been aware of ALL the mods on the vehicle.

Gonna try and put an email together later today (unless I get a call to go wake boarding) will post it on here first to see what you guys think of it.
Old 23 May 2010, 12:32 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

If they've offered £2850 & it's worth more why don't you just use the £2850 & buy it off em

TX.
Old 23 May 2010, 12:41 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

Before the crash it was worth more, Plus what am I gonna do with a wrecked car in England whe I now live in Germany for the next few months?
Old 23 May 2010, 12:54 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I see. Well nothing to lose in pursuing a higher valuation. Just keep refusing to accept what they say until they up it to a reasonable value. You should eventually recover the £500 too albeit may take some time ... keep on the lawyers case to pursue though.

TX.
Old 24 May 2010, 04:46 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

Ok Here is what I have drafted together to send the insurance company.

Originally Posted by Letter To QBE

Regarding the letter sent by QBE dated 18th May 2010 to myself I wish to reject the valuation of £2850 for my vehicle.
Please find below some links to cars of a similar age to mine.
Also as QBE now should have all the receipts for the modifications made to my vehicle totalling around £7000 I thinks its fair to say that the valuation for my vehicle should be above market value.

Also please note that the mileage may show somewhere around 115000 miles but around 70000 of these where actually kilometres and not miles therefore reducing the actual mileage of the vehicle.
The number of kilometres the vehicle had covered prior to import is within all the paperwork I sent to QBE.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1559328.htm This is a version 3 model mine was a version 4 and this one has nowhere near the modifications that my vehicle had.
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1472348.htm This is a version 5 model and again has nowhere near the modification my vehicle had.
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1640357.htm This is another version 3 with a modification list similar but not as good as my vehicle had.
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1716364.htm This is a version 4 same as my vehicle yet this one doesn’t nowhere near the modifications that mine had
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1472348.htm This is a standard version 5
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1689588.htm this is a version 4 with a few modifications but nowhere near the spec mine had.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1501?logcode=p A fairly standard version 3.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/4?logcode=p Another standard version 3

I think that should be enough for your engineers to reassess the vehicles value along with all the receipts for the modifications done to the vehicle.
Also as I \ we have not agreed on a price yet I would like to state that I don’t want the vehicle disposing of yet as I may wish to get another independent company to value the vehicle.

At the bottom I was going to put that even though I had sent the V5 to them I hadnt signed it and therefore the car is still legally mine but I thought that if they are paying storage charges they may try to charge me for them, Howver as I 100% certain that fault wil lie with the TPI I would be able to also claim these back wouldnt I?

Also I know someone has said to get as many cars of same age mileage spec as my and as close to my address as possible but thats not very easy, There isnt many V4 out there on piston heads or auto trader yet alone the same spec as mine or close to my address

Cheers
Old 25 May 2010, 12:16 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

got a typical response of,
Thanks we have passed it on to the engineers to comment and will be in touch once we have heard from them.....
Old 25 May 2010, 03:58 PM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

The only way you will get anywhere is by appointing your own independent engineer to do a valuation. Sorry but sending adverts of cars at higher prices is meaningless; a car is worth what it sells for not what it is advertised at.
Old 25 May 2010, 04:32 PM
shawn r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by badgersport
The only way you will get anywhere is by appointing your own independent engineer to do a valuation. Sorry but sending adverts of cars at higher prices is meaningless; a car is worth what it sells for not what it is advertised at.
not all the time, when my sti was stolen last year the insurance offered me a price that was way under what i saw others going for, after finding a few other ads that were roughly the same milage/spec as mine on auto trader/piston heads/ebay they upped the offer by another £1500 to match them.
just my experience though.
cheers, shawn.
Old 25 May 2010, 06:32 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

Guess I will just have to wait another 2 months as thats how long its taken for this offer to come through.
Old 25 May 2010, 06:41 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Insurance companies will have paid out millions due to the severe weather conditions this winter causing countless accidents. I'm not surprised they're dragging their feet.
Old 25 May 2010, 07:44 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by badgersport
I had exactly the same thing happen to me when i wrote mine off, and all i did was badger the hell out of them, refuse 3 offers and threaten to take it up with ombudsman and to court.
I had over £7000 of reciepts as with the op, and all mods declared. I was first offered £3800 and ended up with £8000
Hold out for a figure that your happy with. What's the point in declaring all the mods and paying a higher premium if the insurance company disregard(sp?) this when paying out.
It took me 4.5 months to get my money but it was worth the wait.
Old 25 May 2010, 09:43 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I had a similar experience in 2004 when my STI v5 was stolen and written off. Original offer was £9K, I held out for, and eventually got, £12K but I did have to threaten them with court when they disposed of car against my written instructions, lying to the DVLA in the process.
Old 25 May 2010, 10:59 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Default Insurance Ombudsman

I wrote a car off last year and I was initially offered £4000 which I rejected.
I went through the procedure of sending in loads of evidence, service history, copies of receits, photo's and similar examples of vehicles and then I recieved a final offer of £4085
I then contacted the insurance Ombudsman and asked them to look into the case for me [which is a really simple procedure] and after the insurance co recieved the Ombudsmans initial letter, I got an offer of £5600 and I was offered the car back for £600 which I broke and made a further £2500.
Old 26 May 2010, 01:14 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

Nice going Bob r.

I certainly wont be accepting anything under 5k from them. Plus there is the personal injury claim I have going for both myself and my daughter.

I will just email the insurance everyday for an update then after a week or two threaten them that unless I get a response I will goto the insurance ombudsman (Bob r do you have details on this i cant exactly pop down my local CAB office been out here in Germany)
Old 26 May 2010, 01:25 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wanted
I had exactly the same thing happen to me when i wrote mine off, and all i did was badger the hell out of them, refuse 3 offers and threaten to take it up with ombudsman and to court.
I had over £7000 of reciepts as with the op, and all mods declared. I was first offered £3800 and ended up with £8000
Thats bloody good going buddy well done hope I can get some where close to that.

Hold out for a figure that your happy with. What's the point in declaring all the mods and paying a higher premium if the insurance company disregard(sp?) this when paying out.
It took me 4.5 months to get my money but it was worth the wait.
Guarantee if we didnt declare them and we end up in these predicaments they would just say our insurance is void.
Old 26 May 2010, 06:26 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smurf2k
Thats bloody good going buddy well done hope I can get some where close to that.

Guarantee if we didnt declare them and we end up in these predicaments they would just say our insurance is void.
Which was one of my points when the underwriters eventually contacted me directly. It was a strange one, some kind of manager rang me and asked how much i wanted to settle. I told him how much the car owed me, and that i could prove it. I told him i thought 8.5k was fair, he offered me 8k and i accepted. I think i did very well to get that and i think the fact i wasn't in rush for the money so wasn't too bothered about it dragging on helped me, as they must have been incuring more and more costs the longer it went on.
Old 26 May 2010, 07:34 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

Which was one of my points when the underwriters eventually contacted me directly. It was a strange one, some kind of manager rang me and asked how much i wanted to settle. I told him how much the car owed me, and that i could prove it. I told him i thought 8.5k was fair, he offered me 8k and i accepted. I think i did very well to get that and i think the fact i wasn't in rush for the money so wasn't too bothered about it dragging on helped me, as they must have been incuring more and more costs the longer it went on.
I dont mind holding out if it means I get a decent settlement. Plus once the TPI finally admits blame my insurance should be able to recover all costs from them anyway.

As I am now living in Germany and have a hire to get about for work and pleasure I am in no rush.

Plus the yacht I am working on is due to leave the yard in approx 6 weeks so I will be living onboard then and wont be able to use a car yet alone need one lol.

Quick Reply: Need some RE my crash