Sponsored by:

First time to the 'ring

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2010, 08:02 AM
twooo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time to the 'ring

I am going with a friend in my Spec D and his Focus ST at the end of May to the great great Nurburgring for a couple of days. My car is still under warranty for another year or so, so don't want to mod it too much until the warranty runs out, but can anyone give me any recommendations to improve it slightly that won't affect Subaru's warranty please.

I am going to ring Bob at Aztec when he opens later to get some Brake Tech brake discs and PF pads for all four corners (I think they are probably the most important first mod!) but what else should I be thinking about.

Will a strut brace help at all? As soon as the warranty runs out I plan to get better ARB's and drop links and lower the thing on maybe Eibachs (or BC coilovers if money's not too tight) and then later will come more power.

All opinions and suggestions welcome.

Thanks guys

Last edited by twooo; 04 May 2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04 May 2010, 08:20 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strut brace wont help - just make sure the car is reliable and able to run for a sustained period under load. Changing your pads and sics is a good idea as is braided lines and good fluid in there.

Enjoy but most of all be safe.
Old 04 May 2010, 08:24 AM
twooo
Scooby Regular

Brilliant, thanks. I bought some HEL braided lines and DOT 5.1 brake fluid from Ian Godney a few weeks ago, but then chickened out of fitting them myself because I've never bled brakes before!

Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how I get on. Can't wait!
Old 04 May 2010, 08:27 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are you stopping over there?
Old 04 May 2010, 08:33 AM
twooo
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I don't know. I organised the ferry, he organised the B&B. We only organised it a couple of weeks ago, so a lot of the closer places are full (There's a huge british Mazda OC meet there the same weekend who obviously got their **** together a lot earlier than us!)
Old 04 May 2010, 08:51 AM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Decent grade of fresh oil!
Old 04 May 2010, 09:27 AM
twooo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Decent grade of fresh oil!
I'm not even going to start the good ol' "which oil?" thing again!

I've probably spent more time reading rambling threads about oil grades than any other topic on here.
Old 04 May 2010, 10:41 AM
hoyleyboyley
Scooby Regular

first time to the 'ring?

my advice as follows:

go slow!

its MASSIVE and you won't learn it in a weekend, see if you can blag some pass laps with a local, or someone who knows the circuit everyones normally pretty friendly. doing a lap with someone knowledgeable of etiquette and the layout is eye opening.

importantly, let anyone past who wants to come past - it might be a 1.2 15yr old polo, but if they know the circuit they will be faster!

be sensible and you'll be fun, its a great weekend away.

just to add, be confident that the car is tip top - oil, water fluids etc etc - as stated for sustained running.

tips for on the ring - be smooth and you'll get a better lap, grabbing for gears and throwing the car about is fun till you get it wrong and see your pride and joy coming off on a flatbed.

Last edited by hoyleyboyley; 04 May 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04 May 2010, 11:41 AM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

It would be worth getting a fast road geometry set up done, you will not believe the difference it will make to the handling, it totally transforms the car, its money well spent.
Old 04 May 2010, 11:47 AM
twooo
Scooby Regular

Thanks Hoyley. Anything specific I should think about for sustained running, apart from checking all fluids, tyre pressures and unwanted noises?

I've heard you should reduce tyre pressure by a few PSI as the air will heat up and expand (causing the pressure to rise) after a little while of 'hard' driving. Is that recommended? I'm using the standard Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tyres (225/45/17). Hope it doesn't rain....... Then again, if it's wet I probably will just have a look round the museum and get drunk. As a newbie to the ring, there's little chance of me driving round it in the rain!
Old 04 May 2010, 11:47 AM
twooo
Scooby Regular

dan - even if the vehicle's suspension is completely standard and hasn't been fiddled with since leaving the factory? Can you recommend somewhere near London to get this done at? Will changing the geometry affect the warranty? Or am I being overly concerned about the warranty and just chuck it in the bin? Got until end of March 2011 on it left to run. But then I guess this is going off-topic.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm absorbing all your advice like a sponge.

Last edited by twooo; 04 May 2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04 May 2010, 12:00 PM
hoyleyboyley
Scooby Regular

as long as you're happy the car is going to be reliable, i'd say that's it really.

i'm pretty much an amateur when it comes to the ring TBH, i've been 5 times or so, but have always had a blast, one of the guys i have been with has been going for 10 yrs so we picked up quite a bit quickly. just enjoy it and DONT worry about lap times etc.

my priority is coming home in one piece (along with the car), the car not breaking and just enjoying it. its pretty eye opening the first time you stand in the car park and see 60ks worth of ferrari/porsche coming off as scrap metal.

oil change / new brake fluid isnt going to hurt, but i'm wary of making massive changes to car setup in terms of handling as you can be unsure of how the car will behave.
Old 04 May 2010, 12:50 PM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

I'm sure I read if you track your car it invalidates the warranty?
Old 04 May 2010, 12:58 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Not on touristfahren. All road traiifc law applies. Keep right, only ever overtake on the left,, get your passenger to adjust their door mirror for their use so that they can spot for you. Dont turn in too early and dont try to time yourself.
Old 04 May 2010, 02:24 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by twooo
dan - even if the vehicle's suspension is completely standard and hasn't been fiddled with since leaving the factory? Can you recommend somewhere near London to get this done at? Will changing the geometry affect the warranty? Or am I being overly concerned about the warranty and just chuck it in the bin? Got until end of March 2011 on it left to run. But then I guess this is going off-topic.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm absorbing all your advice like a sponge.
Give James at GRD a call he will give you all the info, hes a top bloke and knows everything there is to know about Subaru's. www.greenwoodracing.co.uk
Old 04 May 2010, 05:32 PM
malpas1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoyleyboyley
first time to the 'ring?

my advice as follows:

go slow!

its MASSIVE and you won't learn it in a weekend, see if you can blag some pass laps with a local, or someone who knows the circuit everyones normally pretty friendly. doing a lap with someone knowledgeable of etiquette and the layout is eye opening.

importantly, let anyone past who wants to come past - it might be a 1.2 15yr old polo, but if they know the circuit they will be faster!

be sensible and you'll be fun, its a great weekend away.

just to add, be confident that the car is tip top - oil, water fluids etc etc - as stated for sustained running.

tips for on the ring - be smooth and you'll get a better lap, grabbing for gears and throwing the car about is fun till you get it wrong and see your pride and joy coming off on a flatbed.
+1 trying to go fast around the ring without knowing the lines is a waste of time and expensive if you get it wrong.what people dont tell you is if you do have an accident and hit the barrier then you have to pay for that to be repaired as well, i think it worked out over a £1000 per section with the cost of tow truck on my 1st lap i think i got lost i was passed by every thing from LUPO GTI's to talbots i did manage to get some laps following a swedish guy in a red m3 1st lap(3rd time ever around the ring) 10+ mins 2nd lap 9.42 he said we can go faster and to follow him again i declined his offer when i saw my eagle F1's had turned grey due to the heat GOOD LUCK AND ALL THE BEST ITS WELL WORTH THE DRIVE
Old 04 May 2010, 07:28 PM
PaulM964
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What days are you going over? Me and a few mate are going on May 21st till the 23rd, heading for the chunnel early hours on the 21st
My prep is going as far as changing brake pads, engine/gearbox oils and a boot full of Mars bars and red bull! typicaly my clutch has started to judder a little this weekend
Ive been doing a few laps a night on Forza 3 using the 22b (cant be much different to a standard Terzo) if only to learn the corners, just knowing weather its a left or a right hander next.
Old 04 May 2010, 08:50 PM
monkeyboy173
Scooby Regular

A good service and health check for the car are essential!

One of the best bits I learnt when I went the first time was to look out for the little white spots painted on the track. These are marked out for the ideal turn in, apex and exit for every corner. At first they feel like they are in the wrong place and making you turn in too late but with time and plenty of laps you realise they are a an excellent guide and you can really start to enjoy it Also don't try to do back to back laps as both you and the car will be knackered!!!!

If it rains don't follow the "conventional" line as its treacherous, the rubber that builds up from 1000's of cars on the same line turns like ice when it has water on it!!

There is an Arai petrol station just down the road that sells 100 octane fuel which is handy especially when i went in my Focus ST (modded) that only did 3½ laps to a whole tank!!!!

Make sure you eat at Piston Klaus which is Sabine Schmitts restaurant as its amazing, just make sure you book in advance as it gets booked up really quickly.

Any questions PM me
Old 04 May 2010, 08:51 PM
monkeyboy173
Scooby Regular

One of the best bits I learnt when I went the first time was to look out for the little white spots painted on the track. These are marked out for the ideal turn in, apex and exit for every corner. At first they feel like they are in the wrong place and making you turn in too late but with time and plenty of laps you realise they are a an excellent guide and you can really start to enjoy it Also don't try to do back to back laps as both you and the car will be knackered!!!!

If it rains don't follow the "conventional" line as its treacherous, the rubber that builds up from 1000's of cars on the same line turns like ice when it has water on it!!

There is an Arai petrol station just down the road that sells 100 octane fuel which is handy especially when i went in my Focus ST (modded) that only did 3½ laps to a whole tank!!!!

Make sure you eat at Piston Klaus which is Sabine Schmitts restaurant as its amazing, just make sure you book in advance as it gets booked up really quickly.

Any questions PM me
Old 04 May 2010, 09:28 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

im going out there with a few mates from 20th to the 25th, as said just give it a service and a decent set of pads, check tyres are fine and just relax and enjoy it THEN the next time get the bug for times ect

i go every year and tbh its the only reason i still have the scooby but im a slow **** driver if im honest
Old 05 May 2010, 09:00 AM
twooo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by malpas1977
what people dont tell you is if you do have an accident and hit the barrier then you have to pay for that to be repaired as well, i think it worked out over a £1000 per section with the cost of tow truck
Yeah, I've been reading this which is really helpful - the best bit of advice I gleaned from it was where it says "I thus strongly recommend that you consider your vehicle uninsured on the Ring, and drive/ride accordingly."

Originally Posted by malpas1977
i did manage to get some laps following a swedish guy in a red m3 1st lap(3rd time ever around the ring) 10+ mins 2nd lap 9.42 he said we can go faster and to follow him again i declined his offer when i saw my eagle F1's had turned grey due to the heat GOOD LUCK AND ALL THE BEST ITS WELL WORTH THE DRIVE
Sounds like a brilliant way of learning the track. Hope there's some obliging blokes there to trail.

Originally Posted by PaulM964
What days are you going over? Me and a few mate are going on May 21st till the 23rd, heading for the chunnel early hours on the 21st
Going on the 28th and coming back on the 31st mate, making use of the Bank Holiday.

Originally Posted by PaulM964
Ive been doing a few laps a night on Forza 3 using the 22b (cant be much different to a standard Terzo) if only to learn the corners, just knowing weather its a left or a right hander next.
My mate's doing this with GT on his PSP Go at the moment.

Originally Posted by monkeyboy173

One of the best bits I learnt when I went the first time was to look out for the little white spots painted on the track. These are marked out for the ideal turn in, apex and exit for every corner. At first they feel like they are in the wrong place and making you turn in too late but with time and plenty of laps you realise they are a an excellent guide and you can really start to enjoy it
Also don't try to do back to back laps as both you and the car will be knackered!!!!
Brilliant advice for someone that's never seen the track. Thanks. HAHA! No, we realised that after watching a couple of people's laps on YouTube. We were both tired after just watching and concentrating on someone's lap!

I ain't going out in no rain! Rain = possible death for a newbie!

Any questions PM me
Wait til I tell my mate. He's papping it about fuel consumption I think.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Bought my new brake discs and pads from Bob yesterday so will be fitting them, alongside braided brake lines and DOT 5.1 brake fluid, over the weekend. Then give the girl's engine a good going over the weekend before I go. Quick brush-up on me German and I'm set

Last edited by twooo; 05 May 2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05 May 2010, 11:27 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't reduce the tyre pressures - put them up a few psi all around but check them when you come back in as you have to do after each lap unless you're on an RMA day and adjust so equal. Too soft a tyre will make it over heat quicker

Last edited by Fat Boy; 05 May 2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05 May 2010, 02:04 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

get a service new oil uprated brake fluid pads and discs check tyres have plenty of tread and go slow at first-will take 50-100 laps to know your way,remember you want to drive home in the car!
martin
ps join northloop.co.uk
Old 05 May 2010, 03:20 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Exactly what he said^^^^^^^^^ is great advice...

Ive done about 80 laps now in 3 years still learning every time i go over been back 4 weeks now.
Old 05 May 2010, 04:16 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The latest Project Gotham Racing 4 (Xbox 360) has the ring on there as well. The realism is not as good as good Forza 3 (handling wise), but then its not ment to be. I think its easier to learn which corner is coming and what line to take using the PGR as its an easier game to play. Obviously it doesnt simulate the conditions as well, and its over simplifies the track (you can get round in 6.30 minutes using a Noble), but just for learning the basics, it seems quite good. You can also change the weather conditions to wet, which would probably give a time closer to a real life warm dry day.
Old 05 May 2010, 06:47 PM
YXD
Scooby Regular

I ain't going out in no rain! Rain = possible death for a newbie!
I went for the first time last October and it rained all weekend. Managed a passenger lap in a mates 911 beforehand which made me realise how dangerous it is in the wet. Got to the first big right-hander up near the f1 track and got it sideways (on purpose of course ) . Massive brown patch left on the circuit and didn't much over 50/60 mph for the rest of the way round.

It is crazy slippy in the wet so be warned. The best part for me about the trip was the journey itself. We had a few cars go over all with walky-talkies proper top gear-style. Oh and theres an autobhan not too far away from the ring that runs up towards Cologne, I'll never forget the sight of my mate in his cruise-liner of a merc estate steaming past at 150+ after taking about an hour to catch us up

Going back in the summer...cant wait!
Old 05 May 2010, 06:57 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Going on the 28th and coming back on the 31st mate, making use of the Bank Holiday.
There's a whole group of us from SouthEastScoobies going out on those dates - pop by and take a look if you like!

Most are on the 8am ferry (Dover-Dunkirk) on the Friday then the 8pm back on the Monday - I'm in the tunnel out at 7pm-ish (can't get the day off).
Old 06 May 2010, 03:16 AM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

Myself and a mate are going over on the 20th of May and returning (hopefully still in the same cars) on the 23rd, I've driven it once before and most, if not all, of the horror stories are true for newbies, slow and steady is definately the way forward for the first few visits!!

Bit anxious, but bl00dy excited at the moment
Old 07 May 2010, 12:27 AM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kin quick
Myself and a mate are going over on the 20th of May and returning (hopefully still in the same cars) on the 23rd, I've driven it once before and most, if not all, of the horror stories are true for newbies, slow and steady is definately the way forward for the first few visits!!

Bit anxious, but bl00dy excited at the moment
if you see my scooby there,,,,, trust me you will notice it pmsl come and say hi
Old 07 May 2010, 12:31 AM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

Will keep an eye out for you

I'll be in a black 06 hawkeye and Lee is taking his blue R34 (Datsun)

Quick Reply: First time to the 'ring