Sponsored by:

brands hatch track day advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2010, 08:28 AM
noblechris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brands hatch track day advice?

I have never been to a track day and have been invited by a friend to take my scoob.

it's only for an am novice go, but i was wondering about the tyres.... are there track tyres or do people mean part worn? whats the best to use for little money?

thanks
Old 01 May 2010, 09:07 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

apparently, if you're not going to be hammering it around, decent road tyres should last for a while at least. Be warned, though, that if you hammer it around road tyres will only last 5-6 laps before going soft and mushy and then you'll have to come in and let them cool down (not to mention the extra tyre wear).

There are proper track day tyres, such as the Toyo R888, but they're really quite expensive (as in 180'ish a corner) although there are cheaper alternatives such as the hankook rs2 (~100 per corner).

IMO, if it's your first track day and it's only a novice AM session - go on your road tyres and see how you get on. No point in spending 7-800 on tyres only to find out you don't like track driving...

Chances are, however, that you'll have an absolute blast and be back for more soon

Since I went on a track day in the impreza, I haven't bothered taking it out for a drive on the road, because it's just so boring in comparison!

I'm going to brands on the 8th of June (evening) - can't wait.
Old 01 May 2010, 09:23 AM
stiler83
Scooby Regular

As it is your first time, as long as your current tyres are in good order stick with them. If you wear them out replace them as that way you don't have to go to the expense of having a set of dedicated tyres just for your trackday. By sticking with your standard use tyres you will also learn how your car handles on the limit as it is now ie. as a daily driver.

Before commencing with any track time, check ALL fluid levels eg. oil, brake fluid and replace as required. Check your brake pads and tyre pressures and the torque of all the wheel bolts . (It's never a bad idea to carry a small bottle of oil with you to a trackday, just leave it with the organisers ready for use).

When at the track, you may want to fine tune the tyre pressures. As you abuse the tyres on the track they will get hot and the pressures will rise so you may want to reduce the pressure slightly to compensate. The simple procedure for this is to do one track session and get the tyres nice and warm, then look carefully at the scuffing on the tread of the tyres. If the scuffing does not extend up to the edge of the tread then you need to lower the pressure by a couple of psi and if the scuffing extends onto the sidewalls then the tyre pressures are too low and require more air.

At the end of the day remember to reset the tyre pressures once the tyres have cooled down and carry out a check to make sure you have enough tread to get home and that the tyres are not beginning to fall apart.

A good quality tyre pressure gauge is worth it's weight in gold. Something like Intercomp 4" Ultra Deluxe 60PSI Air Pressure Gauge or Longacre Digital. The OMP NC/072 Digital Tyre Pressure Gauge sold be Demon Tweeks would be a good buy as I believe they are a re-branded Accutire MS 5510B.

Last edited by stiler83; 01 May 2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01 May 2010, 09:35 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep a pretty full fuel tank also, after you reach 1/2 a tank you may suffer "fuel starvation", which is common on classics

Tony
Old 01 May 2010, 09:54 AM
noblechris
Scooby Regular

cheers guys.
are these actual track tyres? CLICK HERE
Old 01 May 2010, 10:52 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Check the state of your brake pads....

A trackday could finish these off too.

Use brakes as little as possible, road car brakes can be easily fried on a circuit.

I keep out of the way of the "big boys"

HTH

dunx

P.S. If you like this one then consider buying a 2nd set of wheels/tyres. IMHO
Old 01 May 2010, 01:01 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Ref the track itself....... be VERY careful on the exit of Druids (they'll warn you in the driver briefing).

Lots of people (including at least 2 Scoobynet members) have crashed their cars on that exit.

Great track IMO. Best advise is to get an instructor in the car with you for the first session.