Sponsored by:

Anyone been on a cruise??

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2010, 12:50 PM
scooby1929
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been on a cruise??

Was thinking of going on a cruise on the Thomson dream. Basically fly to Palma then sail to Naples, Sorento, Barcelona etc.

What were you thoughts etc?
Old 15 April 2010, 01:00 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Did Vancouver up to Alaska (inside passage) with Holland & America as part of a month rummage around W Canada. One of the best holidays we've had. Personally, after a week on board (even with shore trips) I like something different + there is a limit to how much weight you want to gain !!

Would do it again, but maybe not in a hot climate as we don't like too much sun/heat.
Sure you will love it.

Enjoy !!!!!
Old 15 April 2010, 01:25 PM
scooby1929
Scooby Regular

Dont really want to end up with the blue rinse brigade tho!! ha ha
Old 15 April 2010, 02:10 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Thats what we were afraid of - its surprising how many younger people go. Av age probably in 40's though. You do your own thing - disco, cinema, theatre, bars, restaurants, pools, gym, beauty treatments (!!), activities, shore visits, sitting and eating, sitting and drinking, sitting and dozing etc etc.
We didn't notice the 70+ brigade !
Not many drunk 18-30 year olds either thank goodness ! They probably end up in the Med areas
Old 15 April 2010, 02:42 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went on a cruise from Florida to the Bahamas a few years ago
It was for 4 days, went via Carnival cruise lines from Florida to Nassau Bahamas and then to Freeport Bahamas and back to Florida.

I didn't see many old folk at all.
Infact when I went it was spring break which we'd forgotten about but it was fine and the young yanks were pretty well behaved on the ship
As far as I know on shore they were not so we'll behaved and you could tell by the looks of them the following day - demon drink!
A few were also left behind as they failed to return to the ship by the designated time.

It was OK once you got used to it

Wife has been on a 10 day cruise before, but this was my first time and 4 days was plenty for me.
Old 15 April 2010, 04:06 PM
14N-FR
Scooby Regular

I work on P&O's Arcadia as an engineer. Don't go on any child free ship as this means the average age on board is 60+.

Cruises are excellent holidays nowadays. The 'only old folk go on cruises' stigma has been well and truely left behind. I have just finished the 2nd half of a world cruise and I am now heading to the Caribbean with a couple of stops inbetween.

You wake up in a new place everyday and the facilities on board cruise ships now is as good as any onshore holiday you will have if not better. I wouldn't go on a Thomsons cruise though as the average age of their ships is around 10-15 yrs old and all are ex Royal Caribbean or Princess cruise lines ships.

Pay a little extra and get on P&O's Ventura or Azura, both of which have all UK passengers and nearly all UK officers like myself. Also ask for table 66 when you first get on board as this is nearly always the Chief engineers table and it will be hosted by an engineering officer each night which means free wine/drinks hence why I host tables when I can haha.

Last edited by 14N-FR; 15 April 2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 15 April 2010, 05:49 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been on two cruises to the carribian with celebrety cruises. they were very good, some of the best food ive ever eaten but you have to pay for your booze on some ships dependanton the company. the trips were also some of the bets experiences i ever had. swimming with dolphnins, turtles, speed boating, jeep driving etc etc. go for it.
Old 15 April 2010, 06:11 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

Ive been on one from florida to the cayman islands.
Really enjoyed it , food was fantastic, plus you can eat as much as you like, room service was free and loads of entertainment.
The cayman islands were really nice but didnt have much time there.
It was for 4 days with about 80% of it at sea. After the 4 days I was definatly pleased to be back on dry land. After a while even with all the entertainment on board it can get a bit boring.
Id definatly go on a short one again but I think a long cruise would do my head in unless it stopped off fairly often.
Old 15 April 2010, 06:35 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Been on quite a few cruises and will only ever recommend royal carabien sailing from the states, loads of people in their thirties and the ships are amazing. If your a first timer why not try the rc cruise from southampton to cork, cheap as chips and will give you a taster without costing you too much, went a few years ago on their newest ship at the times maiden cruise and was excellent.

Sailed with rc 3 times now, twice from the states and the whole experience is amazing, they do have the best ships in each class though and the facilities and ship can make all the difference.

Sailed on QE2 on one of her final voyges and tbh was a let down, was way to stuffy and average age was retired!

You generally have to pay for drinks but do not get ripped off, all are charged to yousea pass card and they debit your card at the end, we always tie it in with a city break or similar, 3 days in NY then acruise for a week or a few days in miami and then a cruise.

Highly recommened paying the extra if you can afford it for a balcony.

Oh and we are 34.

Enjoy
A
Old 15 April 2010, 09:02 PM
scooby1929
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys