Advice on Smartnav in Spec D - new owner

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2010, 05:42 PM
bluesntwos1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Smartnav in Spec D - new owner

Hi everyone,

I have just got my Spec D and was under the impression that the Smartnav in it was removable, however, this does not seem to be the case! Just briefly;

1) Do I have to subscribe to Smartnav to get the satellite navigation function working? Im not too bothered about the tracker and speed cameras.

2) How do I remove the Smartnav? Im worried the car will get broken into and it stolen.

Thanks in advance. Loving the car by the way
Old 10 April 2010, 06:32 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

The satellite nav function only works when you enter a location, either postcode, through your pre-registered favorites or through the rout being downloaded by one of the SmartNav operators.

Check the system is active, just touch the screen, select new route, select postcode and enter a valid postcode - the system should dial Smartnav and download the route. Alternatively press the SnartNav button, down on the left hand side of the steering colomn and speak to one of the SmartNav operators.

The Smartnav system does not work as a Tomtom does by displaying a map - just voice commands and graphics as you approach junctions/roundabouts etc.

You can remove the SmartNav display (some have and can give instructions) if need be, or you can replace the unit with one of the newer removeable units if your car still has the original.

Do you need the Tracker system as part of your insurance arrangements ? - if so I believe you can just request Tracking

This all depends on whether the previous owner has cancelled the subscription when they sold the car, I'd ring SmartNav and give the reg number and find out what services are active (or not) on the car. They should be able to talk you through your options from there.

Hope that helps

Gareth

Last edited by GarethE; 10 April 2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10 April 2010, 06:35 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trafficmaster offer Smartnav as a 3 part package - navigation, safespeed and tracker.
You can pay for each part of the package, so if its just tracker needed then the renewal is £121 per year.
The display is only for navigation and calls so it can be removed and tracker still works.

The display is removable but a bit tricky to do and leaves a hole where the cable goes through the dash trim.
There is a removable display option, but costs about £100 extra.
Ring up Trafficmaster 0845 604 5433 and see if the unit is still live and any subs are left.
Old 10 April 2010, 06:35 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Trafficmaster offer Smartnav as a 3 part package - navigation, safespeed and tracker.
You can pay for each part of the package, so if its just tracker needed then the renewal is £121 per year.
The display is only for navigation and calls so it can be removed and tracker still works.

The display is removable but a bit tricky to do and leaves a hole where the cable goes through the dash trim.
There is a removable display option, but costs about £100 extra.
Ring up Trafficmaster 0845 604 5433 and see if the unit is still live and any subs are left.
Old 10 April 2010, 06:36 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Doh - the double post bug strikes again
Old 10 April 2010, 06:51 PM
bluesntwos1
Scooby Regular

Do you know if there is a step by step guide? Also, would it leave permanent holes or are replacement trim bits available?
Old 10 April 2010, 07:02 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

There isn't a guide. It leaves a permanent 1cm hole and little slot in the double vent & emergency flasher trim.
Its a while since I did it, but I seem to remember levering the radio console trim off and having to unscrew the trim above it.
The display is held on with a bolt that has to be undone from the trim back.
The cable just unclips from the control box.

The trim can be bought from a dealer or scrappy. Also you could try Dynamix as he is selling trim parts from his 06 STi.

nick
Old 10 April 2010, 08:06 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I was after the same info, pick my spec d up tomorrow.
Old 10 April 2010, 08:28 PM
Sti spec d
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem, i moved mine so it is in the box below the headunit. The new panel is £114 from subaru. It is a bit tricky to do as you have to re route the cable so it can reach the box. You have to take most of the centre console out and the panle below the steering wheel as well. It is a bit of a stupid design how you cant remove it.

When i got my car i got 12 months free for the satnav and tracker i dont know how i managed it but it worth asking if they are doing any free trials.
Old 12 April 2010, 03:54 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

There is a Pay As You Go option on SmartNav which, don't forget, also includes traffic watch.

From memory, I think the minimum payment is £25 with each route costing 89p and each re-route 20p. In an effort to save company money, I took the PAYG route just over a year ago and with careful use was making a relatively minor saving but, in the end, bit the bullet and went for the year's subscription as it allows practically unlimited use.

I was finding it frustrating keeping usage to a minimum combined with penny watching when it was trying to re-route me, especially if it was ultimately unecessary. On one occasion last year heading down from Scotland it rerouted me through Carlisle owing to "traffic" on the M6 only to find on getting back to the M6 I was overtaking all the same vehicles previously overtaken!

As an aside, I normally find the route instructions on SmartNav better than my Garmin which I also use occasionally.