ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is your 'de-cat' stinky ?

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2010, 09:07 AM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is your 'de-cat' stinky ?

Hey folks, I had a wrapped decat downpipe fitted to PPP exhaust on MY08Sti - so now no cats... Also had engine rebuilt at same time so running in nice an' slow.

It's been 600 miles now, and when starting up I get a big niff of nasty fumes, and also when turning off ??? I did think that maybe it's oily residue on the engine from the workshop which is burning off... And I have been informed that is probably so... But now it's more like an exhaust type niff - something associated to cars which are 20+ years old and not 18 months old...

So is this 'normal' for a de-cat exhaust ? Does yours smell as well ?

Or could it be blowing somewhere as its apparent when stationary and not really when moving ?

Is this a rod I've made for my own back ! ! !

I couldn't afford the sports cat pipe which is what I really wanted, so I got the cheapo decat - is this the trade off ?

Thanks

A
Old 03 April 2010, 09:14 AM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

I have a de cat on my 2006 SpecD and yes I do get a slight smell, Its a bit like the old cars when they were using 4 star . Its not that bad tho only if you let it tick over when your standing out side with it.
Old 03 April 2010, 09:26 AM
gallois
Scooby Regular

mines decatted, now and again i get a hot-oil smell, although it doesn't use a drop of oil.
Old 03 April 2010, 09:30 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

You can't beat the smell of pure petrol fumes in the morning!
Old 03 April 2010, 02:29 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down Oh my!

Originally Posted by every1sgottablue1
You can't beat the smell of pure petrol fumes in the morning!
lol.....

I hate it, and if it dont go away I shall have to replace it asap.

TBH I'm dissapointed if this is the trade off... nice car spoilt by smelling like the inside of a ------ old garage...

I cant believe all decats suffer like this . Seems wierd
Old 03 April 2010, 03:20 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

I've had a few de-cats over the years and can't say i've noticed anything

Are you sure it's not the heat wrapping, this smells like burnt biscuits for ages
Old 03 April 2010, 03:30 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

love the smell of v power its unique
i used to get it from my focus rs that was decatted
Old 03 April 2010, 03:43 PM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

Thinking of a decat myself. So is th esmell really that bad?

On a sidenote: an engine rebuild on a my08 sti??!!!
Old 03 April 2010, 03:56 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Agree with dannyboy the wrap does smell for a bit. As you are still running the engine in it will go on for a while. I had it for a short while after I fitted my new exhaust that I had fully wrapped. I was not running in a new engine so was able to use the car once it had been re-mapped and the smell did not last to long.
Old 03 April 2010, 05:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The smell is probably the engine trying to (but probably not doing a very sucessful job of) overfuelling so it doesnt blow your engine to bits, you could be in for a big bill soon if your car has not been remapped for said decat (goes for any new age STI, they just blow themselves up )

Tony
Old 03 April 2010, 05:28 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I recommend you leave it for a while, run it in and get some boost running through its veins it may smell a whole lot better!
Old 03 April 2010, 06:03 PM
wrxcook
Scooby Regular

What happened to your engine in 18 months rebuild?
Old 03 April 2010, 11:43 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Dont worry Guys...

Hey thanks for all the replies....

Yes the engine went pop at 15,000 miles. A piece of piston from the ringland broke off (inbetween the rings) and started a mamba style percussion which was diagnosed pretty sharpish. NB. My car is super well treated and hardly ever abused (I live in London)

After a few tenious phone calls to Subaru UK it became apparent that as my car had 'come through' Cyprus (it was brand spanking new) as an euro spec STI - no one was wanting to pick up the bill (because Subaru Cyprus shut down in the recession).

Thus I decided to use Alan Jeffreys Enginetuner workshop to rebuild and I will attempt to claim back something from IM later... I have the managing director contact BUT any advice very welcome. My stance is that I chose my repairer, as replacing something faulty or not really fit for purpose with exactly the same is just madness.

So with forged pistons & rods, Cossie bearings, baffle plate, head gaskets, ARP studs etc, PPP exhaust bits, H & S decat downpipe, and ported and flowed heads - I am running in for 1000 miles and dont really like the accompanying smell.

I shall bear it for another 500 miles or so - get the full remap (thanks Tony for the advice but thankfully we are running on a new base map). And hopefully the smell should go.

It's just that why should it smell inside the car when it never used to... must be the crap on the engine ... mixed with I dunno - how could the exhaust fumes come inside from the back... dont make sense to me... BUT i will be patient and wait and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the advice - some peeps actually like the smell ? ! *

Me... I just want a nice non stinky interior - I'm not too hard to please.

It does really surprise me that Subaru are still using hyperneuticrap pistons (lighter and stronger than the old forged ones - but they are very brittle) which when mixed with agressive ignition timing produces a type of economy as they hoped, AND a timebomb waiting to blow....

Some of the 'fixed cars' have gone pop again - here and over the pond, and also some of the NEW 330S cars with the newer mapping have gone pop...

Personally, knowing what I know now, I would not recommend any of my friends to buy a new Subaru. AND that's a shame.

For the money it would cost to use forged pistons again, they could add on another £200 to the price, and we'd all be happy
Old 03 April 2010, 11:48 PM
jaypSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Apostle,
I have run mine in now as you know and had it remapped and mine still smells like you say.
I have just assumed its the decat causing the fumes. I cant imagine it being anything else since the car is running better than ever and hasn't used a drop of oil in 1800 miles since the rebuild. Although I have had 3 oil changes in that time :P
Old 03 April 2010, 11:53 PM
DisoDisp
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exhaust wrap stinks for bloody ages, and the smell often recurs if it gets wet or ingresses with other muck (road salt comes to mind).

Locally, a lot of the newage STi's (08-09) have gone pop early on, something awry with the subaru base map, causing it to run dangerously lean during revs over 6k.

As someone else already said, I would change the map pronto after swapping the decat, mine would overboost like crazy and run very lean with the base map with a decat, not very healthy for your engine mind.
Old 04 April 2010, 07:07 AM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Talking Jay !

Hey Jay..

Good to hear that yours is going strong - I wouldn't expect anything else from an Alan Jeffrey forged rebuild.

And yours still smells... must be the bloody decat... I will start saving for a sports cat then...

Shame as your PPP exhaust bits work well with just a decat downpipe added.

Take it easy matey

A
Old 04 April 2010, 07:11 AM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hello to Helsinki....

Cheers fella but as I said "am currently running in on a new base map".

Ciao Diso Disp
Old 04 April 2010, 08:26 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

hi mate i would change it over straightaway, id wait.. u'll get used to it and wont even notice it.

when i first de-ccatted my clio many moons ago i regretted it fro the smell but ever since all my cars have been decatted and i dont even notice the smell and ive still got the clio aand it still decatted - subaru downpipe heatwrapped and free flowing and u dont really know or smell it unlesss ur facing the exhaust directly..

iit'll pass over if its your first decat..
Old 04 April 2010, 08:47 AM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Ta mate...

Cheers Eggy.... Happy Easter