Sponsored by:

Panel Filters ........

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2010, 10:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Panel Filters ........

I hear a lot about K&N Panel Filters and how they can un-leash massive amounts of power ..... you know me - I'm not stupid when presented with claims like this

Now, these Panel Filters are silly money .... £45 ..... ..... so, maybe they work - but how?

They look just like the standard BluePrint Panel Filter - but the BluePrint version costs £4!!!

Thinking through what could possibly give a rise in power, I can only come up with the thought that the K&N doesn't filter as well as the standard versions ...... so, cheaper to make and should be cheaper to buy?

I take it these are not coated in MAF killing oil?

So, why do you buy something which gives less performance (in filtration) than standard items costing a 1/10th of the price?

Last edited by pslewis; 28 March 2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 28 March 2010, 10:16 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know who this is aimed at but it seems to be common practise to buy the OE STI panel filter, or at a push, a non oil soaked filter. I use a Simota filter personally, my car is still alive, just. Without a knocklink may I add.
Old 28 March 2010, 10:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Not aimed at anyone ..... just a question to open a debate ..... I would agree to fitting a Subaru STi Panel Filter (is it different to a standard Impreza?)
Old 28 March 2010, 10:25 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Im not sure about the difference between the standard and STI filters. I think anyone that uses an oil lubed filter after all the warnings on here and other sites need to check their heads.

I had my MAF cleaned today after a resonator delete, and it was dirty enough to give me slightly rough running and hesitation, I wouldnt like to guess what an oily filter would do to the MAF.
Old 28 March 2010, 10:30 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

i personally think its all a bit of a hyped up load of s**t,u are certainly not going to get much gain from any variant of panel filters,i use genuine subaru oe filters and i think they are as good as anything,not worth messin about with. if any one disagrees with me.....then please note this is just my opinion. im not saying that u cant /can get better filters etc. the oe ones filter well and are fine for me.
Old 28 March 2010, 10:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Well, yes, oiled filters are very bad news ..... and anyone fitting them need their bumps feeling.

But are K&N Filters just very bad at filtration - to allow more air through?

I'm not convinced that the STi filter is any different to the standard ... why would Subaru risk one engine and not another?
Old 28 March 2010, 10:41 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

just buy genuine subaru oe filters and u wont go to far wrong.
Old 28 March 2010, 10:45 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The main selling point of the K&N filter and the other similar filters is that you clean them then re-oil them rather than bin them. If the filter is cacked in oil then it will knacker the MAF sensor but if oiled correctly there should be no problem. A lot of the problems have come from fitting the induction kits due to the turbulant airflow. I recently relocated my MAF sensor so that it is a blow through not a suck through, using the turbo and FMIC to smooth out the airflow.
Old 28 March 2010, 11:02 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I see, so it's a cost thing .... that the K&N can be reused?

At 10 services it starts to make financial sense then ..... I wouldn't want the same filter on after that length of time (re-usable or not!).

So, they are basically pointless ..... like a lot of things sold as 'upgrades'!
Old 28 March 2010, 11:04 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Pete hold a sheet of paper up to your mouth and try and breath threw it, now hold a woolen jumper up to your mouth and breath threw it.....thats the difrence
and a K&n lasts a life time
Old 28 March 2010, 11:09 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Yes, the woolen jumper has allowed more contaminents into my lungs .... the paper stopped almost all impurities.

So, you are saying that the standard is much better for your engines lungs? But the less good at filtration (the K&N) lasts longer? Well, I guess it would last longer - it is catching much less crud .........

I may stick with the better standard item then ..... so often I find standard is best - seems it is again?

Last edited by pslewis; 28 March 2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 28 March 2010, 11:13 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

There is a thread some where showing all the main manufacturers and what one has the best filtration and best flow
There is a difference and I think a well worth mod
Old 28 March 2010, 11:13 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Yes, the woolen jumper has allowed more contaminents into my lungs .... the paper stopped almost all impurities.

So, you are saying that the standard is much better for your engines lungs? But the less good at filtration (the K&N) lasts longer? Well, I guess it would last longer - it is catching much less crud .........

I may stick with the better standard item then ..... so often I find standard is best - seems it is again?
correct.
Old 28 March 2010, 11:19 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Different materials will not filter(or flow air) in the same manner. K&N , cosworth etc will have researched and tried many different materials to achieve a greater air flow with out comprimising on filtration. original subaru filters "do the job" and have to be cost effective to subaru(if they can save for example £30 a car then thats a large saving). This does not mean that there isnt a better alternative. IMO

Last edited by johnlogie; 28 March 2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 28 March 2010, 11:19 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Pete if you can suck that good, your in the wrong job
Old 28 March 2010, 11:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm no sucker .... I don't spend £45 on less filtration ....
Old 28 March 2010, 11:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnlogie
Different materials will not filter(of flow air) in the same manner. K&N , cosworth etc will have researched and tried many different materials to achieve a greater air flow with out comprimising on filtration. original subaru filters "do the job" and have to be cost effective to subaru(if they can save for example £30 a car then thats a large saving). This does not mean that there isnt a better alternative. IMO
We are close to the 550 BHP and 30 mpg arena now ..... the bending of the laws of physics once again

More airflow = less filtration - it cannot be otherwise.

I'll stick with the OE filtration I think ...... £45 is a lot for less.
Old 28 March 2010, 11:25 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

I hear a lot about K&N Panel Filters and how they can un-leash massive amounts of power
Who's been saying they unleash "massive" amounts of power? On their own, they don't. A handful of extra horsepower if you're lucky, especially if compared with an aged paper filter.

Now, these Panel Filters are silly money .... £45 ..... .....
A standard Subaru panel filter costs something like £18 now, and should be replaced every service. The K&N/Green type oiled cotton filters, as has already been said, are "lifetime fit" items provided they're cleaned every few years. IIRC the K&N recommended cleaning interval is 50,000 miles.

As you say pattern filters are cheaper, so you can take your pick over which offers the best approach.

so, maybe they work - but how?
Theoretically via the use of a more efficient filtering method.

They look just like the standard BluePrint Panel Filter
No they don't, and if you'd put the two side by side you'd see the difference straight away. The OE spec filter is almost literally made out of toilet paper, only thicker and impregnated with a preservative that stops it disintegrating when it gets damp. The K&N and Green types are a fine weave cotton impregnated with a small quantity of oil.

Thinking through what could possibly give a rise in power, I can only come up with the thought that the K&N doesn't filter as well as the standard versions ...... so, cheaper to make and should be cheaper to buy?
No. IME they catch the same amount of crap while not restricting the air quite as much as a paper one.

I take it these are not coated in MAF killing oil?
Correct. The K&N/Green type are coated with a very small quantity of oil that doesn't shed - unless unsuspecting owner ignores the cleaning instructions, and refreshes his element on the "more is better" basis.

Originally Posted by Myles
Im not sure about the difference between the standard and STI filters. I think anyone that uses an oil lubed filter after all the warnings on here and other sites need to check their heads.
The error's in the generalisation. There's a fundamental difference between the oiled cotton type and the synthetic foam sort covered in a high viscosity "mucus" that used to be popular a few years ago. The cotton fibres absorb the oil and retain it, so it doesn't get pulled off in any significant quantity.

The synthetic foam doesn't absorb the gunk in the same way, and so on those, over the course of time the medium literally gets sucked off and into the engine. This not only reduces the efficiency of the filter, globs of thick sticky stuff hits the MAF element.

As for "checking their heads", as you'll know from my extensive posting history, caution's one of my middle names. And it's because of that I've got no issues with running an oiled cotton filter.
Old 28 March 2010, 11:48 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I've quoted this loads, but Harvey found a ±2bhp spread across a range of filters from OE paper, STi, cotton mesh and foam filters from various manufacturers. The OE paper item was amongst the best at filtration, with foam and the expensive (considering it isn't lifetime) STi being worst. Given the minimal power differences they are not worth it, unless to save money over 10+ services with a 'lifetime' item such as K&N or Green. Similar conclusions were found by Scoobymag too.
Old 29 March 2010, 12:43 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

We are close to the 550 BHP and 30 mpg arena now ..... the bending of the laws of physics once again

More airflow = less filtration - it cannot be otherwise.

I'll stick with the OE filtration I think ...... £45 is a lot for less.

So my k&n cone isnt filtering correctly and should be replaced with a paper cone?
Old 29 March 2010, 07:33 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I have used various forms of K&N induction products for a long time on a lot of cars and I have never had any problems at all.

Have a look at the link below for some answers to your questions Pete :

K&N Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

And as for the urban legend regarding MAF failures :

K&N Response to Mass Air Flow Sensor Concerns

I would ask as well if K&N air filters/induction cones are so rubbish why do Roger Clark Motorsport use them in their induction kits (and yes I have one).

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 29 March 2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 29 March 2010, 08:59 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CB, the STI one gave the best filtration with the exception to the standard subaru one but all were tested on a wrx and not an sti so no real conclusion to how well they filter across the range of cars, and unlike the rest, the STI filter is a maintenance item and needs replacing every 20k miles, but I saw huge improvements when fitting to my old spec c on the rolling road, never looked back after that

Pete, the STI filter is a JDM market only filter (subaru uk dont do them, you have to go through a 3rd party to buy one but it is an official STI item)

Tony
Old 29 March 2010, 01:01 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Dare I suggest he try it with a plastic bag over his head

TX.

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro
Pete hold a sheet of paper up to your mouth and try and breath threw it, now hold a woolen jumper up to your mouth and breath threw it.....thats the difrence
Old 29 March 2010, 01:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnlogie
So my k&n cone isnt filtering correctly and should be replaced with a paper cone?
Now you have wasted your money you may as well keep what you have - hopefully it won't kill your MAF.

But paper OE is clearly best in all relevant tests - which is what I thought actually
Old 29 March 2010, 01:49 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Now you have wasted your money you may as well keep what you have - hopefully it won't kill your MAF.

But paper OE is clearly best in all relevant tests - which is what I thought actually
Properly maintained oiled cotton air filters/cones do not kill MAF sensors, again this is just an urban legend that has been allowed to snowball.

Not that the facts ever got in your way Pete...

Also Pete, what did you think of Splitpin's post, as you do not seem to have commented on it.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 29 March 2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 29 March 2010, 02:39 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

It will have a very hard job killin my MAF as its in the bin. Im running a SimTek
Old 29 March 2010, 02:47 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Also Pete, what did you think of Splitpin's post, as you do not seem to have commented on it.
Well you and I know he won't comment on a post like that as Splitpin is very clued up Pete won't be able to make him look a fool like he tries to with most others on here.

Pete knew the answers to his question before posting but 'creating' is what he does, and does well.
Old 29 March 2010, 03:32 PM
MICAWRX
Scooby Regular

I had a K&N Panel Filter fitted on Saturday.... It hasn't broken down yet and is running like the car has a PPP installed.

The only thing I can think that can have made the difference is the K&N Oil mixed with the Total 97 Ron Fuel has given a better stoichiometric mix....

.....Sorry can't keep it up, but it would have been interesting to see how far it got round the forums... I wish I hadn't bought it now after reading this lot!
Old 29 March 2010, 03:53 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

pslewis, you're back?????

Where have you been all these years? Or is it me who's disappeared?
Old 29 March 2010, 03:56 PM
Scooby Wagon Addict!
Scooby Regular

Hi .. I'm now curious to peoples' opinions on here after reading this.
When I bought my 05 WRX I put a Jetex/JR Racing filter in instead of the OEM Paper one .. I've used these before in previous WRXs , just this time there isn't really that spooling-up noise I got with previous PPP'd ones ( I discovered it was the removing of the Cat in the PPP that helped make this noise). So I'm thinking of either refitting the standard OEM filter or buying an STi one from Scoobyparts or like. It's only got the Prodrive backbox fitted and not remapping it or anything for more power.
What would you do?
Cheers,
Steve

Quick Reply: Panel Filters ........