Scoobynet Registration?

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2002, 08:26 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

** Please don't shoot me **

It seems at the moment that there's a spate of 'sub-standard' posts floating around Scoobynet. No, not the muppet ones (which are a laugh) but the ones that start to insult or just abuse the BBS (ie Advertising).

Couldn't Scoobynet introduce authenticated accounts of some type? That way the moderators would have to activate an account once it's entered and would have the power to delete it and prevent a user creating a new one. I realise that this would increase workload on the admins but it could also increase the quality of the BBS massively.

just a though... if you don't like it remove me

Laurence
Old 25 March 2002, 08:33 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

It's an idea. Except how would we know who was a good un, or a bad un before they started posting?. Another way would be all new users would go on a 30 day probation. Everytime a user gets warned about behaviour it 'loses a life' lose 3 lives and it's deactivated.

However trouble with this is
A/ People could misuse the system
B/ It makes SN a hostile place and so we'd lose an element of friendlyness.
C/ Deactivated users can just be re-registered under a different name
D/ It would require a revamp of the software to get it to work.

Personally I like the idea of 'User Ratings' you get them on other BBS's. Other people can 'rate' you as a contributer and behavoir; A little like the feedback on Ebay.

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 3/25/2002 8:34:07 AM]
Old 25 March 2002, 09:48 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Except how would we know who was a good un, or a bad un before they started posting?.
You wouldn't, but it might make people think before posting.

A/ People could misuse the system
People will always try to abuse it, and unless Hotmail-type accounts are disabled this won't go away (and that would make the BBS way too unfriendly). The abuse would drop if it were made more difficult though?

B/ It makes SN a hostile place and so we'd lose an element of friendlyness.
The reason I joined was for the community, I've met some good friends and spent loads of cash on Scooby net. 95% of Scoobynet is still great but it's always that tiny bit that spoils things.

C/ Deactivated users can just be re-registered under a different name
But this is more difficult if they need an new e-mail each time.

D/ It would require a revamp of the software to get it to work.
The killer. I'm sure that there are some people out there on Scoobynetland who might help though. After all it seems that about 90% of Scooby drivers are in IT!

Personally I like the idea of 'User Ratings' you get them on other BBS's. Other people can 'rate' you as a contributer and behavoir; A little like the feedback on Ebay.
You're probably right.

Keep up the good work though. I don't even own a Scooby any more but keep coming back...

Laurence