Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do I go after a Legacy GT - dont want an Audi RS4...

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2010, 08:17 PM
iamroadrunner
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where do I go after a Legacy GT - dont want an Audi RS4...

Hey guys,

Hoping your advice and experience can help me in my quest for my next (scooby) car fix. I have spent ages on google and fast coming to the conclusion that what i want is going to be hard to find, but worth while when i get it..

My affair with Scoobies started with a classic legacy, 2.5 4cam. Nice 150 BHP car, comfy and all wheel drive. Life was going well till someone drove into her and wrote her off. I was gutted.

I had always had a crush on the import version and managed to buy a cheap (<£2,500) Legacy GT manual (import) in green () which was, and still is perfect - 280 BHP. I will soon be getting bored of it though and looking to 'up the anti'...My wants list is humble:

It has to be an Estate as I have dogs (who dislike speed but dont get much say in this ) and lots of crap to cart about.

I want a manual, with over 300 BHP (but not silly, 400 BHP + leave that for a few years yet...) lookng to spend < £12,000 and for that want a younger car, (5 yrs) and low mileage. I have lots of time on my side, so thinking about imports....

The Auid RS4 / 6 is very tempting (gorgeous in Red) but its a huge amount of cash for your car, relative to scoobies. Plus everyone has an audi these days! I want something a bit different (few can work out what mine is at the lights, unless they see the air intake) and am prepared to put in the time and research to get what i want.

I am slowly falling in love with the Legacy touring wagon tuned by STI but they are few and far between. Sadly, the impreza Estates are too small for me (2 labs like their space). I am not too concerned about mpg (company pays) and I am slowly getting used to being shafted at the pumps with about 20 - 25 mpg being the normal!! I dont think any UK specs are going to hit my requirments so Japan direct may be the way forward.....

Any ideas, it has to be all wheel drive, has to be manual so few options, volvo, audi, poss merc or BMW () but i want a Subaru again...

Any thoughts welcome, i know there is loads of knowledge on this site, hope you guys can share some with me?

Thanks in advance

Nick
Old 17 March 2010, 08:36 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

forester turbo, the early shape import ones. its an impreza with a smaller turbo different body and a bit higher ride height, so put a different blower on there with a re-map, new exhaust and you can get 300 quite easily. then put impreza wrx or sti springs and shocks on there and you have the ultimate sleeper wagon that you can fit dogs in easily and still has that flat four burble.
Old 17 March 2010, 10:42 PM
iamroadrunner
Scooby Newbie

Hi Belliot,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have indeed checked out the foresters as you suggested, the blue import, as featured on 5th Gear a few years back is quite a car and ticks most of the boxes....

There is quite a bit of info out there on this one and they seem to be available. Sadly I have discounted this on grounds of boot space (its not as big as you think) and also, I think they are ugly!

As I orgionally said, I am a fussy bugger....but thanks for your thoughts lol

Any more ideas welcome...
Old 18 March 2010, 10:17 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Having run both a 2004 Legacy Spec B GT WR Ltd and a Foggy STi I think I know which one to get.

I deeply regret selling the Legacy but also the Foggy

I would from your post go for the Legacy. If you want some more info I can drop you a PM on what my experience was.

Regards
Old 18 March 2010, 10:42 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

arn't the newer m5's awd?

also a vw turag (sp), i know its 4x4 type thing, but the big diesel engined ones mapp very nicley
Old 18 March 2010, 11:46 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

nissan stagea
Old 18 March 2010, 12:48 PM
scoobyraj
Scooby Regular

speak to iain at Litchfield Imports........bit more than you wanted to spend but sounds special!

(2004), Legacy Spec B STI Estate, owned by Subaru World Rally Team, specially built new 2.5 litre engine with upgraded internals, Full service history including service prior to sale with Cam Belt, 5-Speed Porsche Triptronic gearbox, 300bhp twinscroll turbo, STI Bilstein suspension, STI rear suspensions arms, STI Brembo brakes, STI quad exhaust system, 18” BBS STI multi-spoke Alloy wheels, WR Blue Metallic paint, Macintosh premium sound system with 6 disc changer and Macintosh speakers and amp, Climate control, xenon lights, sports interior, reprogrammed ECU for UK fuel, Selectable Economy mode with enhance UK program, CAT1 Alarm, comprehensive warranty, 1 of only 2 Legacy STI Estate models in the UK with just one saloon (also owned by us). All have been registered by Litchfield. Very rare car with interesting history. Contact us know to see when this car will be available.

i'v had a couple of cars from iain and have to say i've not been dissappointed......if he hasn't got what you're after its only a matter of time before he will.....

Trending Topics

Old 18 March 2010, 12:56 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

This one is sold but hopefully it will give you an idea
http://www.japperformanceparts.co.uk/details.asp?ID=286
Old 18 March 2010, 02:43 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a look on Bonsai cars, they have pages for cars being sold at auction in Japan.
I had a BG5 GTB and am looking to get a newer GTB, preferably one of the WR LTD one's or poss a newer 'Tuned by STi'. There's usually a couple of WR LTD's sold each week and you see maybe 3 or 4 'Tuned by STi' GTB's every couple of months.

Look at the 'full auction listings' page under 'Legacy', 'Legacy Touring Wagon' or 'Legacy wagon' - there's a 2005 Tuned by STi one on there just now with a start price of £9,300 (hmm, that's actually quite nice...)

Only problem I have with Bonsai is that although you see an auction start price you never know how much they actually sell for - so how do you set your limit?
Old 18 March 2010, 04:42 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I had a Legacy Sports Touring Spec B (3.0L H6)

"Only" 240bhp/219ft lbs but quick as you like and very very smooth and quiet once rolling.

The handling always surprised me, masses of feedback and solid as a rock (with eventual mild oversteer when pushed) for such a large car.

The UK car came with full leather, sat nav, cruise, climate, elec sunroof, heated seats, 6 speed manual box and 18" rims...a lot of car for your money compared to the Jap import.

Last edited by scooby L; 18 March 2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 18 March 2010, 08:18 PM
iamroadrunner
Scooby Newbie

Hi Everyone,

Firstly thanks for all the replies - I will answer them in turn...

Blue Dragon, thanks for your thoughts, I still uphold my preferance to the Legacy though. I have a truck for off roading and I feel the forester is a little more 'shouty' than the legies I have seen. i woudl be interested to hear your private thoughts though. Happy to ring you for a chat one eve if you like (am I aloud to say that on here!)

Tidgy, I think the newer M5's may be, but its not really an option for me, I would never live it down, plus everyone knows what an M5 is...too over stated. As for the Toe rag, well yes, but then if i got one of those I would get the only 4x4 out there worth it - a RR They are v comfy though I am told.

Boarderline Chris, i first saw that same picture of the Nissan a few days ago. Immediate thoughts were "oooh what the hell is that, looks unique"!!. I will have a dig around and research them a bit, they certainly seem rare, but they look a bit square and very volvo V70 ish at first sight?

Scoobyraj, I have found Litchfields to be the most useful site out there. I am yet to speak to them yet though. I will do. I have seen that car on the site and woudl be intersted to go and have a gander, its not far from me. As you say, i can see myself having a long chat to him and then waiting for him to spot the car i want in the fuutre and bring it over...

Timwinner / skoobie dhu, I have seen some auction sites in Japan, to tell you the truth I am apprehensive about buying from Japan and dealing with all the paper work myself. Whilst I enjoy dedicating the odd hr at night researching, the thought of making sure all the right paper work is in order is daunting, i woudl rather pay someone to do it to be honest. The site does however give some useful pictures! Skoobie dhu, I would love to hear what you have currenlty and how you rate it. Sounds like we are after / think along the same lines.

Scooby L, an interesting thought, not looked at those. I have a mental block that i must get something over 280. In reality i ought to put mine on a rolling road - @15 yrs old its probably only churning out 200 now!

what I am trying to work out most is the different models since the old GT's. The shapes have changed a few times, then with the mods that the Japs have as well, there seem to be 4 or 5 different legacies out there all built close together which look completly different! World of wheels - asia . com seems to have some basics on.

My favourite picture is the Smaller Blue one below. Do they do a decent red, like the audi RS4 colour. the blue is ok but they seem to have bland colours otherwise...

The light blue one above is currenlty my desktop - sad but it spurs me on when working! does it have twin, twin tail pipes i wonder..

thanks for everyone's feednack, always welcome more.....
Old 18 March 2010, 10:07 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

My old Legacy STi...one of 3 in the UK, supplied by Litchfield, currently running a 404bhp Forester STi. IMHO the Foz is the better all round car.

Mog