Sponsored by:

Just got shafted over £100 by Scoobynet member

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2010, 04:03 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got shafted over £100 by Scoobynet member

All of below can be verified by all Pm's sent & independent witness, ex-Zen employee who can confirm everything as I have said.

Scoobynetter puts car up for sale, I tell him Im interested once I sell my car. He then posts up saying he has changed his mind, he doesnt want to sell. A couple of weeks later I sell my car & mention to him that Iv sold mine & cash waiting. He says he'l get back to me in a couple of days as he is still thinking of selling to fund an R32 purchase. He doesnt get back to me & I obviously assume he doesnt want to sell. Fine, I dont bother wasting my time asking enquiring again. End of story, I thought.

Friday night I post an unrelated thread in General, that I cant find a good Type R. He posts on my thread saying he still wants to sell his car. I post saying cash waiting. He then Pm's me at 11pm & says he'd like to sell do I want to come & view the car this weekend. I agree to come on Sunday, Mothers day! On saturday I phone to confirm & tell him that I am bringing an ex Zen technican who will do a full inspection, drive car, & plug laptop up to Apexi etc. He says thats fine.

Cut a long story short, after full inspection in which we give him a full free diagnoistic from Apexi/laptop that his boost levels are incorrect etc & not holding correct boost etc. And what to tweek etc as his friend had faffed about with the original Zen map & messes it up. We also discover a few front suspension components need changing & his front ender accident has not been welded very nicely at all either. We offer him £250 less than his asking price which was stated as open to offers. But his answer was not, Il take x amouint or give me £200 more. He said that he's undecided whether he wants to sell & his wife says he shouldnt sell his car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AAAAGGGHH! So me & the Zen technican are astounded that he has called us down & hasnt decided if he actually wants to sell or not!!! Any way he goes to ask Mrs who says he should keep the car!!

So Iv driven from London to Cambridge on Mothering Sunday, filled up £30 fuel, paid for days work to ex Zen technician £100 (which he can confirm) & the bloke says he wants to keep the car!!!! I have pm'd him & ultimately said that he should admit his mistake & at least pay half my costs of £65. He flatly refuses. What would you lot do if above happened to you?

Below I have copied & pasted from my Inbox:

Apologies for bothering you mate , but Iv just sold my Spec C today & will need to get another Impreza in then next few weeks. Just thought Id let you know in case you'v found the car you were looking for.

Regards,

Ricky

hi Ricky, i must amit i have been looking every now and then still. ill pm you in a couple of days.

where abouts are you? im near cambridge.

thanks
ian

Thnaks mate Im in Bushey Heath, Herts near to Stanmore, Watford etc
hi, if you wanna have a look/drive you car more than welcome. there are 2 r32 skylines that i am intreasted in.

thanks
ian

Sounds good to me Let me know when its convenient for you & Il pop down. Any day is fine for me as I run my own business & can get cover quite easliy.

Regards,

Ricky

im free this weekend if that any good?
Sunday mid morning ok for you?
that will be fine, the mrs goes to work at 4pm, so would need to be back home by then

my addrss is

AA Autoroute says 51 miles from Bushey up the A1, approx 1hr journey I think. I can aim to leave at 9am & get to you by approx 10.30am if thats ok. If too early let me know & Il set off later.
that will be fine, if you ring me when you get here, as you might not be able to fined my house.

I live in a flat/house above XXX, and there is a car park at the back.
Will do. See you Sunday.

Hi Ricky

sorry about today, i am having talks with the mrs again when she gets home from work tom , and will pm you in the next day or so. i forgot to say in the add, but it has a RAC tracker as well.

thanks again
ian

It is obvious that you did not want to sell your car which is fine & up to you. Unfortunately you have dragged me into your indecisiveness which as you know has cost me time & money on Sunday. As I explained to you on Saturday, prior to comming that I am hiring the services of Richard (ex Zen Technician) to inspect the car. Richard, who is a witness to the whole fiasco, had to charge me £100 for his inspection. He travelled from High Wycombe to Bushey, Herts to Cambridge & back again, all on Mothers Day of all days! I have paid Richard £100 for his days work plus I have blown a bit on petrol myself. Richard also plugged his laptop upto your Apexi & gave you a lengthy diagnostic on your car & even explaining how the boost is set up wrong after your friend tampered with the Zen map. He gave you in depth answers on boost & duty cycles etc.....all at my expense.

The problem is that you could not part with your car as you yourself said in front of Richard that its not about the money, its just that you dont want to sell your car really. I by the way offered almost your exact asking price! It was also yourself that pm'd on Friday night to come & view the car, not me. Now I think that you obviously made a mistake, though at my time & expense & I unfortunately have been caught out in the process.

I think it would be fair & appropriate for you to reimburse me for at least the £100 I had to pay Richard which he can confirm I paid. I will cover all petrol & expenses & put the time wasted down to badluck. This would be the correct thing to do, put your hands & admit your mistake & we will both forget about the incident & move on. I dont want to drag this on through further emails / Scoobynet threads / etc, so please do the honourable thing, that I trust you will.

My paypal id is: ricky@XXXXXX

Please could you do it by the end of this by Thursday this week.

Regards,

Ricky
Hi Ricky, yes it is a funny place to of been in. yes i did want to sell my car, and yes part of it was that it is hard to sometime to let go, and yes you offer was good, but i would of liked more. i think i 1st asking price was very good. i will not be paying you £100 for your costs.

regards
ian

Last edited by rickya; 16 March 2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 16 March 2010, 04:09 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

to stop everyone gussing, it was me, no one has palyed around with the maps, the aver had a glych where the duty went funny
Old 16 March 2010, 04:10 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard one TBH, would he have sold it for the asking price? sounds to me like you offered lower and he didnt accept.
Old 16 March 2010, 04:12 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

tbh i think i under priced my car in the 1st place. i am going to keep it now
Old 16 March 2010, 04:14 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Had you offered full asking price Id agree with you. But you didnt so I cant, Hope that makes sense.
Old 16 March 2010, 04:14 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do. Just have to put it down to experience and bad luck and keep looking fella. Hope you find a motor soon
Old 16 March 2010, 04:15 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

No, his exact words were " Its not about the money, I just dont know if I want to sell"

Trending Topics

Old 16 March 2010, 04:15 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scubbay
Had you offered full asking price Id agree with you. But you didnt so I cant, Hope that makes sense.
my thoughts too. We sold ours last night, the guy had a friend with him who will do any work on the car, it was HIS choice to bring him along if he paid or not is nothing to do with me.
Old 16 March 2010, 04:16 PM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

hmmmm, tough one ricky.

morally then if it were me i would have given you half your costs as a gents offer. that said there is no obligation for him to reimburse you as thats the sport of buying cars. In the past i have travelled hours to look at 'mint, mate..' cars only find rubbish and lost money.

It just comes down to what type of man one is and what morals one has - I would have made a cash gesture like i say but it seems the 'seller' cant seem to face up to it.

Unlucky for you mate - sure one will turn up though.
Old 16 March 2010, 04:17 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately he's trying to now make it look like he wanted more money & I wasnt prepared to give the extra money. He is just trying to to use this as a get out clause, he, I & Zen techincian who was there at the time know the true story.
Old 16 March 2010, 04:18 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

its a hard one either way you look at it....the seller didnt ask you to pay for and bring anyone to look over the car but on the other hand you should have been told a definate yes or no regaurding wether or not the car was forsale. obviously if it wasnt then you wouldnt have gone to view and took anyone with you.

*only my opinion*
Old 16 March 2010, 04:20 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

As you say I suppose its a matter of morals & maybe not as right or wrong. I personally believe that I am made from better moral fibre & would have acted differently if I were him.
Old 16 March 2010, 04:23 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

my thoughts are that you don't advertise a car if your not sure if you want to sell it, bit silly really.
Old 16 March 2010, 04:30 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i can see your point, youve traveled to view his car as a genuine willing buyer, shelled out an extra amount before you even got there only to get told its not definatly forsale. ide be abit pissed myself... wether or not there were any minor niggles with the car im sure everyone expects to be offered abit less than asking price. i usually bare this in mind when selling cars so i set a figure of what i want and set it a touch higher therfore the buyer is happy coz its been knocked down a bit and your happy coz you got what you wanted.
Old 16 March 2010, 04:33 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

IMO its his car and if he decides not to sell then he decides not to sell.

My first Impreza I wasn't sure I wanted to sell and I've always felt I made a mistake. The 2nd Impreza I was glad to see go (nowt wrong just wasn't for me).

Its not much fun for the person coming all that way but at the end of the day if you change your mind you change your mind. In that situation I'd probably reimburse 50% travel costs as a sign of goodwill.

I also wouldn't buy a car that had had a poor accident repair job.
Old 16 March 2010, 04:41 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Rickya, prob best just put it down to experience.
You pay for someone experienced to inspect a car, to hopefully prevent you buying a dud. You found several things wrong with the car, therefore maybe best to walk away.

DaOne - you have made yourself look a complete ****, and now it is public knowledge that your car is poorly repaired and has issues. I'm sure legally you are correct, but morally........?
Old 16 March 2010, 05:25 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I'd have agreed with you right up to the point you offered him less and he refused your offer Ricky... then it turns into a deal gone sour... both parties have lost valuable time (unfortunately you lost more, but put that down to experience.. next time I'd pin the seller down on whether he was in a position to make a salel that day or not, before driving any distance)

Pity, we are all enthusiasts here, it sounds like Iain made a mess of things and you finding fault was the moment he thought to hell with it, I might as well keep it.

Last edited by scooby L; 16 March 2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 16 March 2010, 05:33 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

You get messed about when buying and selling cars its just how it goes unfortunatly.
I know loads of people that have travelled 100's of miles to see cars and its been a waste of time.
Old 16 March 2010, 05:53 PM
wrbhawk
Scooby Regular

I'm with Ricky on this one. If I went through what he went through only for the seller to change his mind last minute, I'd be p***ed to say the least.

It's all very well saying it's his car and he decides to sell it or not, but the fact remains he advertised the car, and was aware of Ricky paying for the service of the Zen Technician.
Put yourself in the seller position, if you was unsure about selling your car, would you let a bloke pay £100 for a technician and travel 50 miles to view the car??! I sure as hell wouldn't.

Secondly, if he was a serious seller and the add stated ONO then surely he would have negotiated as it was clear Ricky was there to buy the car.

Fair enough, the seller did not ask Ricky to hire the technician, so really the gentleman thing to do would be to pay for the fuel as a gesture of goodwill.
Old 16 March 2010, 06:44 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

I Have my views but i think between the 2 parties they will come to a gentlemens agreement as they are both regulars on here and would look bit bad if this carries on..

Sorry my spelling is terrible...
Old 16 March 2010, 07:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Buying a secondhand car is always like this ... I will never travel further than 20 miles to view a car (unless I am going that way anyway).

So many time I have arrived and seen what is not as described - it's just how it is.

You knew the price and you decided to take someone to check the car over for you - you were not best pleased with what you saw, so offered less than the asking price.

That clearly wasn't acceptable, but the owner isn't interested in (or doesn't like) haggling - so says he would rather keep it now .... using the wife is a common ploy (same as the salesmen use their boss) - it's called higher authority.

It was your choice to drive the distance, your choice to take a 3rd party ... indeed, it could be argued that the 3rd party you paid to give you an opinion saved you many ££££££££££'s by advising against buying the car at the asking price - I would say he did his job and you should happily pay him for his services.

The 3rd party was a service to you - not the seller. So he shouldn't have to pay any part of it. The travelling is just part of buying a car and is paid for by the buyer. Just experience, that's all .... and that £100 may have saved you £1,000's down the line.

I would say you have got off lightly.

Now, kiss and make up!
Old 16 March 2010, 07:13 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

I think that Rickya should wind it in, either sort it out off the board or give it up, don't spam the board looking for sympathy.
At the end of the day it is up to both parties to sort a deal, if neither are happy then deal's off.
Da One never asked Rickya to bring a technician, that was solely Rick's decision and therefore he should MTFU over it.
The most unfortunate thing about it all is that it was on mothering Sunday imo.
Old 16 March 2010, 07:32 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

It aint sympathy Im looking for Peanuts & I tried sorting it off the net. I thought Id stop other members wasting their time & money going to see the car like me. I know that there are keen buyers on here that would probably travel from further afield to see it. Just to reconfirm he did'nt want to sell, even at £8,500.
Anyway its only a bit of money, maybe he can use the advice we gave him to get his map sorted.

Im done with this thread. Mods feel free to lock it if you want.
Old 16 March 2010, 08:14 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

It's the joys of private buying i'm afraid. Bit rough if he said he would sell, you travel and then wouldn't sell. I'd be p!ssed off about that too.

He should feel bad about that and at least be gentlemenly and offer half the money you've spent in going to buy it. No-one can give you the time back you wasted.

I nearly didn't sell mine. I knew i had to and Bob had travelled a good way, but it was super hard to hand over the keys.
Old 16 March 2010, 08:20 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

some people are just thick skinned and cannot see the problem with messing someone around like this. cest la vie.
Old 16 March 2010, 08:47 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

there is nothingwrong with the map on my car, it is 100% right. the apexi boost controler had a glich that i told you abaut and it was learing it new settings.

i had said about the funny noise from the suspension bush area in my thread. the only thing that i didnt know is what the zen bloke said about the repair at the front, by saying if you want it looking from inside the engine bay 100%, he would change over the inner head light pannel to a new one so you can not see the repair mark.

I was not going to pay you anything at all, but as i sighn of good will i will pay half of your fuel at £15 to the paypal you pm me.

if you are happy with that, say so on here and i will do it.
Old 16 March 2010, 09:06 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

that's more than I would have given him. he came to look at the car he made a lower offer than the asking price, it was declined (maybe it was worded in a different way, but its still a decline of a counter offer to the asking price). if the potential buyer walked away at that point, its a case of hard luck. (no offence meant to anyone)
Old 16 March 2010, 09:09 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

i wouldn't have wasted your own time or money.
You got the vibe all wasn't right having to chase up on a few occasions. Should have just left it.
Old 16 March 2010, 09:18 PM
Matt78
Scooby Regular

This is difficult! One side is saying he changed his mind about selling it after the buyer had arrived, the other is saying he couldn't accept the lower offer. I think as the seller has offered £15 for fuel it should be put down as a misunderstanding and forgotten about. And it could have been worse, before I got my current scoob, I travelled an hour to view a 'good condition' 1999 turbo.....it needed a new headlight, rear bumper re-spray, new driver's side door card, new brake discs, felt about 30% under powered...like I say, could have been worse!!

Quick Reply: Just got shafted over £100 by Scoobynet member