Sponsored by:

Me new mota! And a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2010, 09:54 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me new mota! And a couple of questions

So after two agonising years away from the Scooby scene (driving a diesel no less), I've finally returned with a rather splendid RB5!

Loving it - I used to own an 02 WRX PPP, and the RB is a very different car, much less... subtle, and sounds absolutely terrific.

It's done a fair amount of mileage (84k) but has FSSH and a tonne of documentation with it. Had a friend who's a mechanic check it out and apparently it's all really tidy. So, hopefully it'll last me.

He drives really well, but me being me I'm constantly nit-picking and looking for the first sign of something wrong with it (I spent 10 mins on the motorway panicking earlier when I swore I could hear a whistling coming from my car - turned out to be the bus infront of me. ).

Anyway, I have noticed two things that I'd like your thoughts on!

First: I have noticed on a cold startup there's a very faint 'tapping' sound from the engine. It only lasts for about 30 seconds (maybe a minute, tops) and then vanishes. It doesn't do this when the car is started from warm, and doesn't do it any other time. It's pretty faint and needs to be listened for.

I thought it might be piston slap - but do 99 cars suffer from this? I've done some reading and have heard only 98's and earlier really suffer from it, as the 99's have a different engine?

Second: at around 40MPH (almost exactly 40) I notice a high-pitched 'ringing' sound coming from what sounds like the wheel. I say the wheel because I can stick the engine in neutral and the sound continues - so it has nothing to do with revs. The front disks are slightly pitted, could this cause such a sound? It goes away after 40 and doesn't do it before.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

Last edited by Probein; 13 March 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 13 March 2010, 10:24 PM
mark-f1
Scooby Regular

Very nice, could be wheel bearing possibly?
Old 13 March 2010, 10:35 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

First problem could just be the type of oil in there...maybe fully Synth has been put in which IMO isn't a good idea on a high mileage engine.If so try dropping in some 10w40 to help.

Second it's probably not a wheel bearing as they grumble instead of ring.I had a noise like this on my last scooby..it was like spinning a metal ball bearing in a tin really fast.Never did find out what it was! Also check the power steering fluid as this can make all sort of noises when it starts to go/run out of oil.
Old 14 March 2010, 01:47 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys.

Just took him out for a spin and think I figured out what the ringing noise is! It's wind whistling through the drivers side door mirror! It's so high pitched it hardly sounds like wind whistling, but I found that flipping the mirror in when it's doing it stops it. Makes sense that it only occurs at a certain speed when the wind-level picks up, and not at higher speeds when it's too windy.

As for the knocking, I noticed that when warm it's there very, very slightly (so faint I can't even be sure that it's not just me hearing things). Seems to be there at about 1k RPM in 1st mostly.

I'll try changing the oil to see if that helps - thanks for the advice.

Back to driving.

Last edited by Probein; 14 March 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 14 March 2010, 05:41 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

The knocking noise will be a bit of piston slap mate from cold nothing to worry about.
Old 14 March 2010, 06:10 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dannytwo
The knocking noise will be a bit of piston slap mate from cold nothing to worry about.
Yea that's what I'm thinking - so it does effect 99 cars?

Cheers
Old 14 March 2010, 06:18 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

My STI V5 MY99 Does make a slight knocking noise from start up when its cold. And after about 30 seconds it goes. Apperently its a common fault with them. Though I'm using good oil I noticed it had stopped and was getting my in a weird state.

Just had a service done using same oil and its doing it again, but have been told its normal. I just don't rev it until the car is properly warmed up.

The Oil I'm using is Silkolene PRO S 5W-40 Ester Synthetic Oil.
Old 14 March 2010, 09:34 PM
Motion-Mx
Scooby Regular

i think the noise will be the tappets,I got the noise after going to 5/40 oil. nothing to worry about really,if it is the tappets.
Old 14 March 2010, 09:35 PM
KickboxingCrazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KINGTIGER
My STI V5 MY99 Does make a slight knocking noise from start up when its cold. And after about 30 seconds it goes. Apperently its a common fault with them. Though I'm using good oil I noticed it had stopped and was getting my in a weird state.

Just had a service done using same oil and its doing it again, but have been told its normal. I just don't rev it until the car is properly warmed up.

The Oil I'm using is Silkolene PRO S 5W-40 Ester Synthetic Oil.
i wouldnt of said its a fault, if you knew the internals of this engine it was never made to be "silent"

the RB5 aint the same engine as yours anyway.

Last edited by KickboxingCrazy; 14 March 2010 at 09:36 PM.