Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unbiased advice for buying non turbo Scooby!

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2010, 09:16 PM
siannie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unbiased advice for buying non turbo Scooby!

Hello there people

I'm a current ZR TD owner looking to upgrade to a non turbo Scooby (would love a turbo but non turbo is almost same ins as my MG), and been looking at Sport or Sport Specials. Budget is around £3500, and seen a few examples of wrx/sti replicas done nicely but at same time I like standard models.

Want to fundamentally know is what the running is like, as I've been told HG is a pain (mine has a new engine in it so I know from personal experience! ) and is it true Sports Special needs servicing every 6 months (7500 mls)?!

I don't do many miles these days (under 6000 at the mo) as I'm living in the middle of Exeter and walk to work, so it's really my toy . Plus I love the sound of a good Scooby exhaust!

Also how much is tax as I've tried googling online.

Any help would be appreciated as 1st hand experience from owners is the best help

Siannie
Old 01 March 2010, 09:49 PM
waz34
Scooby Regular

Hi ive had 4 impreza's 2 of which where non turbo, the sport special has white dials, wrx seats and thats the only difference so i would go for the standard sport as the specials make more money!! you will have to make sure you can live with the performance as a corsa sri is quicker !!!! if you can find the money for the insurance get a turbo
and with the servicing its not like a turbo i service my turbo every 5000 miles and a non turbo will be fine up to 10000 miles.
Old 01 March 2010, 09:55 PM
siannie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by waz34
Hi ive had 4 impreza's 2 of which where non turbo, the sport special has white dials, wrx seats and thats the only difference so i would go for the standard sport as the specials make more money!! you will have to make sure you can live with the performance as a corsa sri is quicker !!!! if you can find the money for the insurance get a turbo
and with the servicing its not like a turbo i service my turbo every 5000 miles and a non turbo will be fine up to 10000 miles.
I've seen a couple yellow specials which look good and mileage is ok and been looked after. Performance doesn't bother me as my 2nd car is a chipped 200bhp Alfa GT Cloverleaf and the MG is 100 so very happy with 120hp in the sport.
Saw yellow Y reg special for £2777 in manchester with 70k on clock. too cheap?
Lastly were they good toys to own if you looked after it?
Thanks for your help!
Old 01 March 2010, 10:08 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

i would always say aim for a turbo if at all possible as you will seriously have a permanent grin on your face and if your a true petrol head spending the very respectable budget you have mentioned on a sport would leave you kicking yourself. you could easily get a decent uk turbo which is cheap to insure for around £2,500 leaving you a nice grand towards insurance! if not sports are pretty nippy for what they are and are as near as you can get to the turbo looks with very good reliability.
Old 01 March 2010, 10:13 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Have a look here:

.:ImprezaSport.net Forums:.
Old 01 March 2010, 10:13 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

ps im pretty sure the road tax is in the £104.50 per 6 months bracket hope this helps
Old 01 March 2010, 10:14 PM
waz34
Scooby Regular

Hi mate yes they are still loads of fun on back roads if you keep it wound up. the special sound about right i had a yellow one about 3 years ago and strangly i sold it to a guy in manchester
You can pick up sports for around £900 to £3000 for a special.
hope you get one mate. but i garantee you will want a turbo in 6 months

Trending Topics

Old 01 March 2010, 10:22 PM
siannie
Scooby Regular

Yeah I hear what you're saying guys... just did an insurance quote for a wrx 2001 (just an est) and put bf as named driver and it came to £750. Better than £900 on my own! Think a turbo is the way forward. My only concern about turbos is when buying what checks can I do to make sure it's not f***ed??? thanks Zippy for the car tax I thought it would be that much but wanted to double check.
Old 01 March 2010, 10:48 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by siannie
Yeah I hear what you're saying guys... just did an insurance quote for a wrx 2001 (just an est) and put bf as named driver and it came to £750. Better than £900 on my own! Think a turbo is the way forward. My only concern about turbos is when buying what checks can I do to make sure it's not f***ed??? thanks Zippy for the car tax I thought it would be that much but wanted to double check.
your welcome! as for buying a good one always take someone in the know with you when looking at and buying one as it can be a minefield when it comes to turbo scoobs. another good piece of advice would be to buy one from a member on this site as most on here are enthusiasts and have kept up with the maintenance side of owning them and never buy the first one you look at as there are plenty out there meaning you can afford to be picky get a good one you will have a permanent grin get a bad one you will have a permanent frown and an empty bank balance hope this helps