2003-2005 STI Specs??

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2010, 03:35 PM
Cornish-J
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003-2005 STI Specs??

Guys,

I'm wondering what's the differences between all the STI UK blobeye models, did certain year models comes with added extras etc any changed technical components?

Many thanks
J
Old 27 February 2010, 06:17 PM
Cornish-J
Scooby Newbie

anyone??
Old 27 February 2010, 06:28 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

03 and 04 Sti are pretty much the same,the 05 STi has a wider track,DCCD-A,and the interior has been changed.The front diff has been changed from suretrac diff to a helical LSD,The wheel offset was also changed from 5x100 to 5x114.Wheel arches have been flared.

Last edited by richie001; 27 February 2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 27 February 2010, 06:40 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Copy and paste.

The last iteration of these changes comes with the 2005 revision. The changes are not superficial.

The 2005 STi gets a heavily revised chassis with a longer wheelbase (10mm) and wider track (15mm). There are major suspension geometry and caster angle changes (raised by 1.5degrees). Spring and damper rates have been retuned and the front and rear lateral links are now made of aluminium to reduce the cars unsprung weight. Finally the anti-roll bars are now bigger, further reducing roll and increasing handling sensitivity.

Even the front axle hub units and housings have been redesigned to improve the capacity of the wheel bearings. The rear differential has also been tuned by uprating the cushion rubber again to give greater handling stability.

The steering has been worked on too, with the addition of a cannon mount-type on the steering gearbox. The result is more precise steering that gives more feedback. A special damper has also been added which reduces kickback during hard cornering or when you're on a less than flat road.

The STi gets a new helical front limited-slip differential (LSD). This new LSD is faster than the previous one and improves steering stability when cornering near the limit. It also improves low-traction steering where it reduces the amount of side-to-side tug.

Also added is a driver's control centre differential (DCCD). This switch is mounted next to the handbrake and allows the driver to manually select the torque distribution front to rear. This allows the car to be tuned for the conditions for example: to give sharper turn in or a more stable straight-line run.

The addition of a yaw rate sensor also enhances the cars balance between good turn-in and straight-line stability.

Final enahancement are: More rigid steering and front suspension mountings; wider wheels now measuring 17'x8' (225/45 tyres) and improved aerodynamics thanks to engine and floor covers.
Old 27 February 2010, 10:14 PM
Cornish-J
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by azz250478
Copy and paste.

The last iteration of these changes comes with the 2005 revision. The changes are not superficial.

The 2005 STi gets a heavily revised chassis with a longer wheelbase (10mm) and wider track (15mm). There are major suspension geometry and caster angle changes (raised by 1.5degrees). Spring and damper rates have been retuned and the front and rear lateral links are now made of aluminium to reduce the cars unsprung weight. Finally the anti-roll bars are now bigger, further reducing roll and increasing handling sensitivity.

Even the front axle hub units and housings have been redesigned to improve the capacity of the wheel bearings. The rear differential has also been tuned by uprating the cushion rubber again to give greater handling stability.

The steering has been worked on too, with the addition of a cannon mount-type on the steering gearbox. The result is more precise steering that gives more feedback. A special damper has also been added which reduces kickback during hard cornering or when you're on a less than flat road.

The STi gets a new helical front limited-slip differential (LSD). This new LSD is faster than the previous one and improves steering stability when cornering near the limit. It also improves low-traction steering where it reduces the amount of side-to-side tug.

Also added is a driver's control centre differential (DCCD). This switch is mounted next to the handbrake and allows the driver to manually select the torque distribution front to rear. This allows the car to be tuned for the conditions for example: to give sharper turn in or a more stable straight-line run.

The addition of a yaw rate sensor also enhances the cars balance between good turn-in and straight-line stability.

Final enahancement are: More rigid steering and front suspension mountings; wider wheels now measuring 17'x8' (225/45 tyres) and improved aerodynamics thanks to engine and floor covers.
fantastic, just what i was after. many thanks!
Old 28 February 2010, 01:18 PM
PJ-STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
Copy and paste.

WOW I have a 05 STI and I did not know all that info. I just wanted one of the last blobeye STI's with DCCD but this makes me feel better that I went for one and not the older model
Old 28 February 2010, 02:07 PM
480bhp.com
Scooby Regular

I know it say's 2005 revisions, but when did they come in to force?
I've got a 2004 (54 plate) Sti, and it has all the above as did every other 54 plate onwards Sti that i viewed before i parted with any cash.

So did all the revisions start on the 54 plate cars or was it hit and miss depending on dealer stock?

Trending Topics

Old 28 February 2010, 02:10 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

the very last of 54 plate cars may well have had the additions, If your car is a UK car with DCCD then yes yours does have the 05 revisions

Graeme

ps the 05 cars also had better internals such as crank etc too
Old 28 February 2010, 02:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G.Mac
ps the 05 cars also had better internals such as crank etc too
No changes to the internals on the MY05 UK cars.

Tony
Old 28 February 2010, 04:06 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 480bhp.com
I know it say's 2005 revisions, but when did they come in to force?
I've got a 2004 (54 plate) Sti, and it has all the above as did every other 54 plate onwards Sti that i viewed before i parted with any cash.

So did all the revisions start on the 54 plate cars or was it hit and miss depending on dealer stock?
If the cars have the arch extensions above the rear wheels then it's an 05 spec car. As mentioned some 54 plated cars were 05 spec.
Old 28 February 2010, 07:28 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I was toying between an 03/4 jdm car or an 05 uk car when I change mine later in the year, after reading this looks like 05 spec is the way to go, as I am a little worried about a jdm due to me being told they have no rust proofing and I have to use my car every day so maybe the salt would be an issue with these.
Old 28 February 2010, 07:39 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

I have a 2004 type 25 70k english miles not any notice of rust or any detoriation..
Old 28 February 2010, 07:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by daz1968
I was toying between an 03/4 jdm car or an 05 uk car when I change mine later in the year, after reading this looks like 05 spec is the way to go, as I am a little worried about a jdm due to me being told they have no rust proofing and I have to use my car every day so maybe the salt would be an issue with these.
Waxoil, sorts that issue out thats all they use on the uk cars anyway lol

Tony