Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever tried...

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2010, 03:29 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever tried...

...to fit an 18" frame mountain bike in the boot of an Impreza saloon?

Reason I ask is that I'm currently running a Forester XT but I miss my old WRX's and I've been thinking that now might not be such as bad time to trade back - the XT will need a cambelt, tyres, major service and possibly new clutch in the next 12 months so I could save that and put it toward the upgrade cost.

The problem is, I work in the center of town and cycle the last mile or two from the park and ride. As roof and boot mounted carriers would stuff the MPG too much (I do a 100 mile round trip commute each day) so I need to be able to take the bike in the car.

Obviously, I can get the bike in the back of a wagon but the Mrs prefers the saloon and it'll be much easier to convince her of the virtues of swapping back to a saloon than a wagon.

Given that I managed to fit all all manner of things in my old WRX (bedside tables, chairs, 4x12 speaker cabinets, etc), I was hoping that I might be able to squeeze a bike in one too!

I have quick release wheels front and back so it would just be the frame that I needed to get into the boot... the wheels can ride up front if they don't fit as well as the frame.

Alternatively, if anyone lives near Wantage and would let me test fit my bike - I'll happy provide beer to sponsor the experiment - that would be great too! ;o)
Old 24 February 2010, 03:47 PM
Magistus
Scooby Regular

I have an 06 WRX saloon and I also enjoy a lot of mountain biking and have tried this out. The answer I'm afraid is yes but it is not easy. I have found that as well as removing both wheels, I also had to remove the handlebars and the seat/seat post. Both wheels had to go on the back seats. The bike I used was an 18" Scott Scale hard tale XC bike. If you want some pics of the bike in the boot I can take some at the weekend.
Old 24 February 2010, 04:24 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Magistus... I thought it might based on the FXT being similar in width and depth (if not height).

If you can takes some pics, that would be great... I suspect my frame (18" Dawes XC hardtail) is probably very similar in size to your Scott.

Handle bars on mine are two bolts, seat is on a quick release / adjust as are the wheels so it could be worse - though not sure how I'd feel about doing it everyday but such are the compromises we make! ;o)
Old 24 February 2010, 04:36 PM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Do any newage cars have folding rear seat? I know some UK spec classics do. Failing that how easy is it to remove the rear bench in a newage? (piece of p1ss in a classic).
Old 24 February 2010, 04:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

How about a towbar-mounted rack for one bike?
Or boot mounted? On and off in under ten minutes, stows in the car for security?

I could certainly get TWO mtbs into my classic when it had it's fold down rear seat, (feed through, really,), by removing the front wheels.
Old 24 February 2010, 05:03 PM
Magistus
Scooby Regular

Gigsy - I will get the pics for you asap, depends on the light when I get home, otherwise it will be at the weekend. The disassembling/rebuilding only takes a few minutes but a pita when it is when and cold.
Old 24 February 2010, 05:42 PM
Djw123
Scooby Newbie

I regularly take my mountain bike in my classic saloon. Even my large frame will fit on the rear seats with the wheels in the boot. I usually take out the rear bench to give a bit more room and use a blanket to avoid getting mud everywhere. It’s the cheap, easy and aerodynamically friendly option

Trending Topics

Old 02 March 2010, 09:41 PM
Magistus
Scooby Regular

OK here we go the pics as requested, one bike in the boot of my 06 WRX.

Before

Just the frame

The lot

Hope this helps.
Old 02 March 2010, 10:33 PM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

you could get a wagon makes life a lot easier
Old 02 March 2010, 10:46 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deanb1980
you could get a wagon makes life a lot easier
I had a wagon WRX after my saloon and would get another but the wife and I both prefer the look of the saloon plus I'm a sucker for a flared wheel arch... child of the 80's, Integrale's and Audi Quattros, what can I say... I'd also quite like a WR1 or a spec D this time round.

Now that I know I can fit the bike in the boot I can start the process of convincing the wife and buttering up the bank manager. Fingers crossed!
Old 02 March 2010, 10:48 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Magistus
OK here we go the pics as requested, one bike in the boot of my 06 WRX.

Before

Just the frame

The lot

Hope this helps.
Fits like a glove... many thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 03 March 2010, 05:05 PM
fmp
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cant get my Trek Fuel EX8 into the boot of mine.

It goes on the back seat with the wheels off (even the its a tight fit against the doors).

And a pain if the bike is filthy, as despite covering the seats in towels, it still seems to go everywhere!