Sponsored by:

Version and dump valve help

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2010, 09:32 PM
D7AKE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Version and dump valve help

I have a 99 uk scoob, am I suposed to use a twin or single piston dump valve? and how do I know if its a version 5 or 6 or what does this mean? I s it applicable to my car?

Last edited by D7AKE; 11 February 2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10 February 2010, 10:38 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use either a single or a twin piston dump valve on your car,but be aware these can cause running issues,and most people on this site will advise you to stick with the original recirculating valve unless you are going for really big power gains.
The version 5/6 refers to the jdm term for the model and normally applies to sti's .If its a uk car then its normally classed as MY meaning model year- so a version 5/6 is a 1999/2000 MY.
For your purposes it does not make any difference as the dump valve you require is the same for both years ,which is a diamond shaped and bolts direct on to the intercooler.
Old 11 February 2010, 07:52 AM
D7AKE
Scooby Regular

OK thank you, has anyone kept the original recuirc valve and just used a blanking plug to vent it to outside just for the noise.
Old 11 February 2010, 12:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Can I be first to warn you NOT to vent metered air to the atmosphere?

You risk engine damage by so doing.

Stick your head out of the window and shout, "Psssssssssssssssssssssssh" at people.

You get the noise and it's kinder to your engine
Old 11 February 2010, 09:58 PM
D7AKE
Scooby Regular

so thats a no to a dump valve on a my scooby
Old 12 February 2010, 07:02 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The choice is yours mate ,some people love them and some people hate them,the fact that subaru dont fit them as standard is neither here nor there,as most people who use this forum dont have bog standard parts on there car anyway(even if its a k&n panel filter).I am only a new member to this forum and after scrolling through 100's of previous post ,i for one have not found a post/ thread where someone has had there engine damaged as a direct result from fitting a dump valve.
Me personally - i have had a baileys and a forge and both of these caused erratic idling problems on my car,but there are others who have used these for years and had no probs whatsoever. I currently have a blitz bov and up to now had no problems with it,and my car is being mapped in 8 days time,and after speaking to bob rawle ,scooby world,scoobyclinic,grahame goode,etc they have all said there is no performance gain to be had by fitting a dv as the standard recirculating valve on my car is very good,and can cope with 350bhp +.
I still have my standard recirc valve in case of any running issues in the future,and if that should happen it will be bolted on for good. hope this helps.