Sponsored by:

Ebay bidding query

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2010, 12:14 PM
wrbhawk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay bidding query

I was looking to buy a set of winter wheels and found these on the bay.
There was no reserve and starting bid was .99p.

When I looked on it, current bid was £50, it's now shot up to £150, but the thing is when I look on the bidder history it appears that on some occassions the bids are made by the same person, ie one user has bid on it 7 times all in the space of three hours even when there has been no counter bid.

Is this dodgy?
Old 02 February 2010, 12:21 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No thats normal. They are bidding against your highest bid, so everytime they bid (several times by all accounts), you automatically outbid them. They've just been trying to find your max, but it appears its above theirs. I wouldn't worry.
Old 02 February 2010, 12:32 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Click on show all bids....
Old 02 February 2010, 12:45 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not seen as many bidders testing out the upper a much as that before. Could be shill bidding to bump up the price, especially as all the other bidders all have low feedback scores.
See if the other bidders regularly bid on each others items or have bought low price items from one another before getting more concerned.

EDIT**

Seems it is much harder now to look into other bidders history, so my advice is pretty useless

Last edited by Butty; 02 February 2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03 February 2010, 07:30 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

That's why the best thing is to put in a snipe in the last few seconds, too many people get their mates to bump up the price like this...

Auction Sniper : eBay Sniper and eBay Bidding snipe, bid sniping for eBay
Old 03 February 2010, 11:10 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

That auction sniper dont work it bids in the last few seconds, there is another way and you can bid in the last second. Do it every time i bid and never lost nothing yet.
Old 03 February 2010, 02:04 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby1doo1
That auction sniper dont work it bids in the last few seconds, there is another way and you can bid in the last second. Do it every time i bid and never lost nothing yet.
Share the secret then.
Old 03 February 2010, 03:17 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

O.K when some body bids on a item in the last 10mins, the time starts counting down think it's 10 mins. You must have seen it, this gives you real time with no refreshing needed. Note the time only counts down if there is bids on the item, right now for the trick, open 2 ebay pagers at the same time make them small enough so you can see both on your screen. Have 1 on the item you need to win showing the time, if no bids are made make 1 in the last 10 mins but a very small bid. On the other page bid on the item your max bid you would pay, then click place bid and it will come up with a page asking you to confirm bid BUT DO NOT CONFIRM THE BID wait till there is only 2 seconds left on the other page showing you the time then click confirm.
You have now just won the item as long as your max bid was high enough.
Try it on some penny items so you no how it works, just so you don't pannic when you bid on a item you really want.
Old 03 February 2010, 06:52 PM
ByByR1
Scooby Regular

They are auto bids as if you look there is only 17 seconds between each bid from the same bidder, although it does look a bit sus with there feedback score been so low...
Old 03 February 2010, 06:56 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

O.K when some body bids on a item in the last 10mins, the time starts counting down think it's 10 mins. You must have seen it, this gives you real time with no refreshing needed. Note the time only counts down if there is bids on the item, right now for the trick, open 2 ebay pagers at the same time make them small enough so you can see both on your screen. Have 1 on the item you need to win showing the time, if no bids are made make 1 in the last 10 mins but a very small bid. On the other page bid on the item your max bid you would pay, then click place bid and it will come up with a page asking you to confirm bid BUT DO NOT CONFIRM THE BID wait till there is only 2 seconds left on the other page showing you the time then click confirm.
Try it on some penny items so you no how it works, just so you don't pannic when you bid on a item you really want.
that's how i bid on stuff i really want, only thing is sometimes Ebay isn't quite up to speed to get the bid on or your interent conection can slow up a bit at the critical moment. missed out a few times

i tend to go for 4 seconds now to avoid this, if someone gets in after that then fair play for being braver
Old 03 February 2010, 09:55 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Sorry Scooby1doo1, don't see how this differs from autosnipe?

Goofbay allows you to bid in the last 2 seconds, it's free and automated. Bid and forget.

Old 03 February 2010, 10:08 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Lets hope you/me don't bid on the same things then.
Old 03 February 2010, 11:14 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
Sorry Scooby1doo1, don't see how this differs from autosnipe?

Goofbay allows you to bid in the last 2 seconds, it's free and automated. Bid and forget.

Goofbay does it in the last 2 seconds, I do it in the last 2 seconds goofbay can't bid in this time frame as it's all over. When I want some thing I don't bid and forget, I like cheap things so I never bid untill I need to. If every body put there max bid in the auction price would be daft.

Last edited by scooby1doo1; 03 February 2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03 February 2010, 11:21 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
that's how i bid on stuff i really want, only thing is sometimes Ebay isn't quite up to speed to get the bid on or your interent conection can slow up a bit at the critical moment. missed out a few times

i tend to go for 4 seconds now to avoid this, if someone gets in after that then fair play for being braver
Fair point but I don't worry about the Internet speeds now I get a steady 12meg and don't have any probs. Lost loads through AOL's pants network when I want to clued up on eBay.
Old 04 February 2010, 05:22 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

If every body put there max bid in the auction price would be daft.
That's why I use Goofbay or Hammersnipe. Does exactly what you are doing but automatically! Actually I set goofbay for 7 secs as I have found that if to similar bids go in but not in excess of the bid increments then the earlier bid actually wins. And yes I like cheap stuff too, just win mine whilst I'm down the pub LOL

You do it your way and I'll do it the easy way.

Old 04 February 2010, 06:51 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
That's why I use Goofbay or Hammersnipe. Does exactly what you are doing but automatically! Actually I set goofbay for 7 secs as I have found that if to similar bids go in but not in excess of the bid increments then the earlier bid actually wins. And yes I like cheap stuff too, just win mine whilst I'm down the pub LOL

You do it your way and I'll do it the easy way.

My point was the snipers can be beat and when i bid i like to win, hence my 2 seconds beats your goofbay doofbay and sniper. End of
Old 04 February 2010, 07:44 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

My point was the snipers can be beat and when i bid i like to win, hence my 2 seconds beats your goofbay doofbay and sniper. End of
How?

Old 05 February 2010, 02:02 AM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

I think you should both have a bid off, best of three or summat
Old 05 February 2010, 05:12 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

I think you should both have a bid off, best of three or summat
Yeah, any excuse to go to the pub