ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

newbie help hawkeye sti

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2010, 11:10 AM
Tom 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie help hawkeye sti

Finally decided im going to go for a sti hawkeye sometime this year. went to look at one yeaterday at a local dealers. silver, grey prodrive wheels, front lip spoiler, rb320 grilles, very nice. salesman said it didnt have prodrive pack.

Now my question is what does the prodrive consist of is it just power mods or suspension / braking aswell does it make much of a difference ?

Also i had a good look round the car theres a little keypad which pulls down to the right of the steering wheel whats that ?

anyone know of any common problems i can look out for on hawkeye sti ?

finally can you guys give me some ideas of serviceing costs

thanks in advance
Old 31 January 2010, 11:21 AM
Kinni
Scooby Regular

PPP packs vary from model as bits got added and taken away but if it's Hawkeye 06-07 it'll be

STI ppp = ECU flash, Uprated fuel pump, prodrive backbox and sport cat

So tad better performance, although if your considering your own Remap and exhaust then you'll see much better results than PPP.

Keypad is to do with the imobilliser / alarm should you need to deactive.

Servicing isn't to bad, as you'd expect dealers are more pricey but with the Impreza there is a lot of well known indy's with good reviews from hundreds of owners.

I've just had a 40k service and it cost me £140 from a local Indy, your 50k and 60k will be higher as you've belts to be changed but I wouldn't say it's to bad when compared to other car manufactors.
Old 31 January 2010, 12:12 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

the hawkeye sti PPP doesn't have sports cat they just remove 2 of them !!! I know as I now have none
Old 31 January 2010, 12:50 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

PPP on a Hawkeye only consists of removing the 2nd cat (under body cat) back box and flash of the ECU.
It may be worth trying to haggle with the salesman to get this fitted if your interested in the car as It increases the BHP from 280 to 320 approx (Claimed).
When test driving listen out for noisy rear shocks there crap drive slowly and if they start to knock or rattle there probably shot! a very common fault.
Old 31 January 2010, 04:43 PM
Tom 1
Scooby Regular

Thanks alot for the help guys. really not sure what to do now. wasnt really planning on modifiing it. so maybe finding one with ppp would suit me better heres the one i was looking at

2006 SUBARU Impreza 2.5 WRX STi Type UK
Old 31 January 2010, 04:51 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

That's a lovely looking one Tom with a few nice extras. Its a sham there not a Subaru dealer as it might be harder to haggle a PPP kit. nice car tho.
Old 31 January 2010, 04:56 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With that many extra mods added, it may have also had a sneaky remap and exhaust change which wouldn't be very visible.
Is that the std rear box?
Old 31 January 2010, 05:00 PM
Tom 1
Scooby Regular

To be honest mate im a honda person dont know a great deal about subarus yet. but the exhaust had sti written on the side
Old 31 January 2010, 05:16 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butty
With that many extra mods added, it may have also had a sneaky remap and exhaust change which wouldn't be very visible.
Is that the std rear box?
You could be right there has had a bit of money thrown at it. might have been mapped.
Old 31 January 2010, 05:41 PM
Guv
Scooby Regular

|Nice car, bit pricey I think, if you look on Pistonheads most 06 UK Hawks are £12500 -£13000 add £500 for PPP.

Only extras are Lip, grills and Wheels and Stereo, beside the ad doesn't even mention PPP + its had 2 owners, thats really 1 owner money
Old 31 January 2010, 05:47 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Very few buy an Impreza intending to modify it, but you don't find many cars that have not been modified to some extent. Tells you something

If done right, a lightly "upgraded" Impreza is often a better bet than a standard car as it is likely to have belonged to an enthusiast. I wouldn't employ this logic to many cars, but the Impreza is one.

There are lots of so called standard cars that are in fact returned to standard cars.

In my mind the PPP is just an over priced remap. It isn't even custom to your car.
Old 31 January 2010, 06:32 PM
Tom 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
Very few buy an Impreza intending to modify it, but you don't find many cars that have not been modified to some extent. Tells you something

If done right, a lightly "upgraded" Impreza is often a better bet than a standard car as it is likely to have belonged to an enthusiast. I wouldn't employ this logic to many cars, but the Impreza is one.

There are lots of so called standard cars that are in fact returned to standard cars.

In my mind the PPP is just an over priced remap. It isn't even custom to your car.

i know were you coming from with lightly upgraded im running a civic type r at the minute its got catback/induction/remap/anti roll bars/fast road setup/uprated brakes. and its much easier and nicer to drive than standard one but il be turning it back to standard car if i do sell.

so how much would i have to look at spending to get 320bhp ish from the impreza. although to be honest i think i might hold out for one with ppp now
Old 31 January 2010, 07:41 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Well, to give you an idea my car is an 06 STi running 360/390 with just a decat, panel filter, colder plugs and a remap. You would probably get 340ish with a sports cat. I'd recommend doing either or before a remap.

I spent less than a grand on power upgrades. I think the PPP is priced at around £1200.
Old 31 January 2010, 09:42 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Decat (2nd cat) + open source remap = £400-£450ish.
Should see 320hp and 340 lbft.

You can go from there with extras like the sports cat, air filters etc etc, but it depends on your budget.
The car on the link "looks" pretty good with the extras so why not try £1500 less as an offer?

nick
Old 03 February 2010, 08:23 PM
Tom 1
Scooby Regular

Thanks alot for the advice guys. got a trackday booked in my Civic Type R so im gonna do that get it serviced then put it up for sale. think il hold out for one with prodrive though thanks again.

in the words of Arnie - il be back
Old 28 February 2010, 08:31 PM
Tom 1
Scooby Regular

Right. im back started to strip my civic and am in the process of putting it back to standard ready to sell.

Anyway last week im searching autotrader for hawkeye sti's and one had just come in at a local skoda dealer beleve it or not. Looked a bit overpriced to me but i thought id see what i could get for my px rang them up on tuesday to say id be down to take a look on saturday.

Saturday morning came gave them another ring salesman said it had been sold. ahhhhh so saturday afternoon i was passing the skoda dealer thought id take a look anyway. went in got chatting to the salesman someones bought it spare of the moment gave a deposit and now has told the dealer they are finding it hard to get insurance. so may not be taking it afterall.

now its a 57 reg and has only done 8k its in mint condition and they want £16995

i noticed it has Defi guages / K&N Typhoon / prodrive rad and oil caps / alloy battery tie and what looks like a turbo back exhaust not sure of the make but sounded really nice.

How could i check if its been mapped ?

What are k&n typhoons like on hondas there known for heatsoak and loosing power ?

Anyone know what make exhaust it is from the pics not good pics im affraid backbox seems to have no markings on ?

Or even better does anyone on here recognise the car

The dealers letting me know by wednesday if the car is defonatly sold. since seeing the crystal grey dont think id have any other colour

look forward to hearing your opinions you guys know alot more about these than me
Old 28 February 2010, 08:55 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

If it has a K&N i think it should have had a remap
Old 28 February 2010, 09:34 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Firstly, that is not a crystal grey car it is urban grey I think. My car is crystal grey and you will notice the difference. Crystal grey is closer to silver. I may be wrong here but I think the only crystal grey UK hawkeyes were Spec Ds.

Anyway, that is a pedantic point. The most important thing to highlight here is the price. At £17k it is only a couple of grand away from RB320 money. I think it is well over priced, possibly by about £2k.

It does have very low mileage though which is in its favour.
Old 01 March 2010, 07:36 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Typical (very) optimistic dealer price in the current climate.
The guy who put down a deposit is on here BTW.
I'd personally sell the Typhoon and put back the std airbox. Its meant to be a plug n play system with no remap but I'd be worried about hot air being dragged in.

Was the exhaust change just a back box or more extensive?
The added parts are nice but only worth several £100 to the ticket price.
Old 01 March 2010, 08:22 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

The guy who put down a deposit is on here BTW.
Who was it out of interest? I'm wondering if it is the same chap who has agreed a price on my car. He said he had a deposit on a another car too and is a member here.
Old 01 March 2010, 08:52 AM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Any air filter typhoon or otherwise should be remapped in. If not avoid the car anyway. When I fitted an induction kit (in a sealed box) it took twice as long to map it correctly than fitting a decat exhaust!
Old 01 March 2010, 10:32 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Tom 1
anyone know of any common problems i can look out for on hawkeye sti ?
2.5ltr

Head gaskets
Ring land breakups

Impreza STi

Rear Struts knocking

I'd personally sell the Typhoon and put back the std airbox. Its meant to be a plug n play system with no remap but I'd be worried about hot air being dragged in.
Totally agree STD airbox good for 400bhp and no running issues IMHO

The added parts are nice but only worth several £100 to the ticket price.
Old 02 March 2010, 11:54 AM
andy1234
Scooby Newbie

It was indeed, detective Michael! See you on Thursday.

Tom1 - pm sent.

Andy.
Who was it out of interest? I'm wondering if it is the same chap who has agreed a price on my car. He said he had a deposit on a another car too and is a member here.
Old 02 March 2010, 02:22 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy1234
It was indeed, detective Michael! See you on Thursday.

Tom1 - pm sent.

Andy.

You made the right choice mate. My car is far better than that
Old 02 March 2010, 04:46 PM
scixer6r
Scooby Regular

Tom,as mikkel has said if your going to spend 17k on a hawk 3k more will get you a private sale RB320.Dont know if they are alot better than the STI as ive never driven one,got my RB a year ago as i wanted something a little special & exclusive.Whatever hawk you go for im sure you will be grinning from ear to ear when you drive it.
Old 02 March 2010, 04:57 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

rather confused, my 06 sti ppp has a prodrive backbox but positive no sports cat??? was told it was backbox only on purchase! i have the certificate and everything, and on a RR recorded 329/375!
Old 02 March 2010, 06:08 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my06 ppp silver
rather confused, my 06 sti ppp has a prodrive backbox but positive no sports cat??? was told it was backbox only on purchase! i have the certificate and everything, and on a RR recorded 329/375!
This is correct. The PPP for the hawkeye does not include a sports cat. It is simply a backbox and a remap. Not sure if they do anything with the centre pipe that contains the resonator but they do not touch the cats.

The RB320 is just a Hawkeye STi with PPP, but with a few styling extras like wheels and seats it becomes a special edition in Subaru terms and therefore holds its value better.
Old 02 March 2010, 06:11 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

This is correct. The PPP for the hawkeye does not include a sports cat. It is simply a backbox and a remap. Not sure if they do anything with the centre pipe that contains the resonator but they do not touch the cats.

The RB320 is just a Hawkeye STi with PPP, but with a few styling extras like wheels and seats it becomes a special edition in Subaru terms and therefore holds its value better.
phew!! thought i had been conned, nice 1 for clearing that up Mikkel
Old 02 March 2010, 07:29 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

but they do not touch the cats.
they remove the 2nd one.

Aaron
Old 02 March 2010, 08:39 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
they remove the 2nd one.

Aaron
Pretty sure they don't on the hawkeye mate, but I may be wrong as I did mine properly in the first place

Quick Reply: newbie help hawkeye sti