Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficult dilemma - new or nearly new STi

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2002, 06:47 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have already ordered an STi Type UK from a nearby dealer. They initially thought delivery in March/April would be likely but best forecasts now suggest June or even July. He has offered me around £10k for my Aug 98 turbo with 53000 miles but can only honour this for another month or so. So if the new car was available now (which it isn't), the difference will be around £16k.

Dealer phoned me today to say that a recent buyer of STi (blue black non-Prodrive same as one that I have ordered) now wants to sell it due changed circumstances (he no longer needs a car at all and needs money for a house). I have seen the car and met the previous owner (the day after it was delivered). It is now about 4 weeks old and has done 2000 miles. I am now being offered this same car for approx £1000 less than list price and I will be guaranteed £10k or more for my car as trade in.

So choice is, do I wait until June/July for a brand new STi at full list price (and possibly get less than £10k for my car) or do I get the nearly new one for around £1000 less.

One other thing, the STi in question has had the driving light conversion and replacement speakers - neither of which I'm bothered about having.

D.
Old 20 March 2002, 07:16 PM
Pooder
Scooby Regular

The key is how has he run it in.These cars benifit from carefull runing in which is why I would never buy a demonstrator. I am getting a new STI next month and wouldnt dream of letting anyone else drive it for the first 2000 miles
Old 20 March 2002, 07:33 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I agree with Pooder - I wouldn't want one I hadn't run in unless I knew the person selling (as in what kind of mechanical sympathy they have).

Also, by my calculations (which may be wrong ), the VAT you pay on that car is £4500 (which you loose when you drive it off the forecourt (in theory)). If the dealer promised a delivery time and now can't deliver, I think they are obliged to honour the trade in price they have given you until they can deliver!!!!

I would have strong words with them if they won't honour the agreement and would hopefully then wait until June....

Matt
Old 20 March 2002, 09:05 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

I agree with the point about running the car in. Both scoobies I have owned were owned from new. I certainly would want to speak to the previous owner and verify that he behaved himself. I understand that he had a MY00 with PPP before so clearly has some interest in the Imprezas.

The figure mentioned was never guaranteed and I have nothing in writing. I asked for a rough valuation at the time of the order and this is the figure he came up with.

D.
Old 20 March 2002, 09:18 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Cool

You guys have obviously never seen brand new cars driven off the ships they are delivered on. GT2 on the PlayStation doesn't come close.
Old 20 March 2002, 09:30 PM
David1965
Scooby Regular

1K is not enough off list price.

1.is it a 51 or 02 plate?
2. how much less are they going to give you for your car?

remember when you come to sell it., 2 owners on log book.

They need to give you more money off.
Old 20 March 2002, 10:16 PM
Chewie
Scooby Newbie

Bugger that the new car looks like a slapped **** buy mine instead
Old 20 March 2002, 10:22 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
D.
Seeing as you say you know the owner, go direct to him and see what the dealer is giving him, I bet it's a lot less than you'd be giving the dealer, do the deal without giving the dealer the profit, selling your acr 'might' be an issue, however, the dealer might buy that off of you anyway.
Gotta be worth a try.
Ron
PS, my commision for suggesting it is.............