Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying 1st Impreza (hatch) - any advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2010, 05:25 PM
Gallonigher
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thinking of buying 1st Impreza (hatch) - any advice please?

Hello. New to the board, and possibly soon new to Subaru ownership.
Been considering the new hatchback Impreza as we need a 5dr hatch now with a bit of go about it. Already test drove an STi and liked it.

I'd would be looking to buy a 2nd hand one as I cant afford the new price.

I'm posting here though to ask if anyone can offer their ownership advice on the new STi and also on the WRX-S which I'm also considering. On paper I dont see much difference between the WRX-S and the STi in terms or performance. Considering the price difference it seems like the WRX-S would make a better purchase, and spend the difference on upgrades... dunno if that is a sensible route to take - any views?

Been reading a bit about the engine problems on the STi and was wondering if this also affects the WRX-S?

Hope you all can offer some help. Thanks in advance.
Chris
Old 18 January 2010, 06:02 PM
vertastic
Scooby Newbie

Hi Chris,

STi is an awesome car and with the super sport and sport drive settings will be much pokier than the wrx-s. I think the STi is better with fuel as well but thats not really important considering neither are all that efficient.
STi looks better in the flesh with the flared wings and is nicely complimented with a front lip spoiler and fogs plus a set of 18's if the budget can stretch to it.
Awesome grip, quick and great fun so you wont be dissapointed. Oh and the seats are just brilliant.
Ive just sold my dark metallic grey STi with gold 18 inch gt1 alloys (nightmare to clean) to fund a wedding but fully intend returning to the fold in a year or so, hopefully with a 330s.
Keep your eyes open for a standard spec STi as these are available from time to time at a very reasonable price.

Good luck mate.
Stu
Old 18 January 2010, 07:01 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Why not consider an Impreza S-GT, which is 2.0 litre twin scroll JDM variant of the WRX, similar performance to the WRX-S, with the added cheaper road tax. No piston worries of the 2.5 models, i have had mine for 15 months & no problems at all.
Contact Litchfield Imports for all the facts & figures. he may even have one to try.
Old 18 January 2010, 09:31 PM
FauxSTi
Scooby Regular

One piece of advice, if you do get one, stay away from the hatch thread in member gallery section!
Old 18 January 2010, 10:05 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Yeah, that thread gets expensive on the ideas. My planned mod list for my WRXD is £3500!!!
Old 18 January 2010, 11:39 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new hatch is the future of subaru

Sti fantastic car but sligh worries over 08 modles and choclate pistons so make sure you get a warrenty

brand new WRX -S is a fantastic looking car and good value for money at 22k ish

you might even be able to pick up a brand new wrx for 18k if there is any left or some people
even get the diesels with 380 mm torque and 43mpg """ half the running costs of a STi if you do a high mileage go onto the members gallery for great advice
Old 18 January 2010, 11:54 PM
orthochris
Scooby Regular

STI all the way. I have put prodrive springs on, PPP and 18" GT1.
Looks great and is as quick as the starship enterprise, Sport# means warp factor 9.
The engine hasn't missed a beat and is under warranty anyway.
I am thinking about getting 330s seat if possible otherwise I will be buying an Audi RS4, maybe.

My STI replaced a Mk V Golf R32 which lasted 6 months, for 3 months of ownership I was deciding what to change it for. I have had the STI for 18 months and am only thinking about changing now.
Could I live without it? I am not so sure.
Old 19 January 2010, 03:36 PM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
The new hatch is the future of subaru

Sti fantastic car but sligh worries over 08 modles and choclate pistons so make sure you get a warrenty

brand new WRX -S is a fantastic looking car and good value for money at 22k ish

you might even be able to pick up a brand new wrx for 18k if there is any left or some people
even get the diesels with 380 mm torque and 43mpg """ half the running costs of a STi if you do a high mileage go onto the members gallery for great advice

A few months back Subaru were selling the WRX for 17k and the WRX-S for 20k ; brand new.

I would pay the extra and get the STi, amazing car - goes like stink (30-70 willl leave may cars behind) and fuel consumption is very reasonable for a 300bhp car. I get about 18mpg on short trips into town and 35mpg on trips above 15 miles. For once Subaru have been very pesimestic about fuel consumption. With a free flow exhast alone it should be good for 320bhp.

Thing to remember that the STi is very easy for the average unskillled driver to drive fast and safely and that's the big improvement. Brakes and especially ABS are close to Porche standards.
Build quality IMHO is much better than before - no longer the massive panel gaps (my 2005 WRX blobeye had) and the cockpit build quality is now on par with Ford; which is a big imporevement. (cant lie its no Audi)

Finally the Sti is now more civilised and easier to live with, finally serving costs are now less than I remember (£180,£230,£300, 180...). Looks great in Blue or white.
Old 19 January 2010, 04:33 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Very similar question on this thread to what you have just asked.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ch-owners.html

Also check out the 08/09 thread in the members gallery for inspiration!!