Sponsored by:

blobeye lights

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2010, 05:58 PM
scooby555baz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blobeye lights

can anybody tell me what sort of price, either from subaru or a breakers yard, a replacement headlight for a 2005 blobeye will be ?

thinking about doing a retrofit with projector lenses but thought if i got two spare headlights cheap enough I could work on them and then just swap them out when I was finished.
Old 10 January 2010, 06:03 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not cheap mate 70 - 100 quid each second hand and jap version even more expensive 250 each
Old 10 January 2010, 07:20 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Sold mine last year on E-bay after getting morrettes fitted. Started the biding @ £50 and ended 2 weeks later for both @ £175. Seem a lot of people are after them.
Old 10 January 2010, 08:15 PM
scooby555baz
Scooby Regular

on ebay there are a set of jdm ones complete with hid bulbs ballast etc but they want £800 for them.

does anybody know if subaru put different reflectors in the jdm ones since they are hid`s or is it basically the same headlight with the hid kit fitted ?
Old 13 January 2010, 01:00 AM
ShaggyDooWRX
Scooby Regular

As I am aware, the so called 'JDM spec' HID headlights for the blobeye, are identical to the standard WRX headlights, with the exception that they have the orange plastic removed from the indicator, and have a HID bulb as opposed to a halogen bulb. There is also a circular ballast that is mounted directly to the underneath of the headlamp that powers the HID bulb. They dont have projectors, just a HID bulb, much like the kits that are widely available.

Personally, I can't see how the sky high prices for these headlamps are justified!
Old 13 January 2010, 09:46 AM
scooby555baz
Scooby Regular

After looking closely at the pics of the jdm headlight on ebay I did have my doubts as the reflector and shield looked identical to that on my car.

thanks for confirming my doubts.

has anybody tried an hid kit just in a normal blobeye headlight without any issues of light scatter etc ?

had thought about splitting the lights and putting in a proper reflector setup but not sure if that`s really necessary.
Old 17 January 2010, 01:39 PM
chiroman
Scooby Regular

I've fitted HID's dip and main to my Blobeye WR1 been thro 2 MOT's no probs.
No issues with scatter, have lights set low in traffic and higher on open roads, don't get flashed.

Believe newer ones easier to fit as smaller ballast boxes to locate. Not sure whether you need the relays with the newer type.
Old 18 January 2010, 09:28 AM
scooby555baz
Scooby Regular

have taken the plunge and ordered a set for low beam - hopefully they will be ok with beam pattern etc.

fingers crossed I might be able to see where i`m going now.