ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

experiences of Audi s3

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2001, 09:26 PM
Chunky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Like most people on this site I am interested in all high performance cars, and am just wondering if any of you guys have any experiences or comments about the Audi s3. Performance figures are pretty impressive on paper, but how would it compare to my std my99 scoob?
Cheers in advance fellas
Old 20 February 2001, 09:48 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Chunky,

I test drove one, What a load of crap!!!, 0-60 6.1 sec, my backside and it took forever to get to 140mph, on a round about (small/med) a locked the steering on quarter and increased my speed slowly to 40mph and the back swang out.

Test drive one and you will love your Scooby more.

regards

TC
Old 20 February 2001, 10:18 PM
Chunky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

TopCat,
Having read another topic on disappointing cars it seems you are not alone in not liking the s3. I reckon I'll have to have a test in one to see for myself how good/bad they are.

Cheers m8

Old 20 February 2001, 10:29 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

Friend of mine got an s3 just before Christmas. Steered on a roundabout but car just carried straight on into the kerb, destroying lots of suspension-ey bits.

My friend thinks that something snapped on the car which caused the accident, but the <B>big</B> problem is that the cars is <B>still</B> off the road over two months later 'cos they can't get the parts!!

Arrrgghhh,

mb
Old 20 February 2001, 11:12 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

There has been a number of posts on this before, but as the search facility is down theres not a lot you can do.

Unlike the previous posters I have owned an S3 at the same time as a MY00. Ive also taken it out on a SIDC track day with all the Scoobies.

Speed wise it was the equal of my MY00. I then had it remaped and at Donnington it was hauling in std cars down the straight. It was even with cars that were Prodrived. Cornering it was as good as the Scoobies. The weakest link was the brakes. Not so much that they lack feel, but that they dont cope with Track days. Never got round to changing pads etc. It meant on track I would be breaking a lot sooner than scoobies.

On normal day to day driving. It hasnt got as good a gearchange as the Scooby, but in comparison to me current S4 its a dream. It also needs a few revs to get of the line smoothly. Handling wise its as good as a std Scoob. Not up there with my old P1, but very predictable and great to chuck around. It also has much better in gear flexibilty than the Scooby.

It does need the ECU to make it really good fun, but so does IMHO the std UK car. I have to say that I couldnt believe my old MY00 could crack 7.0 secs to 60 let alone 6. FYI the S3 is quoted at 6.7.

It doesnt sound like the scooby either, but then sometimes on the motorway you appreciate that. When its dark the Xenons show you how its done and the Leather Electric Recaros are nice as well.

Having an hour test drive does not reveal all about a car. In the same way we ask how some journalists can write stuff after such a short time with a car.

Bottom line for me is that over an std old shape I would go for an S3. Against a Prodrive car, STI or P1 then it would be the Scooby. Against the MY01 I dont really know as Ive not owned one yet.

Jonathan
Old 20 February 2001, 11:14 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

I test drove one before Xmas when I was on a downer about IM sorting out an engine problem I had on my MY00. Build quality was, as you'd expect superb and blew the Scoob out of the water.........but that was where it ended I'm afraid. The car just didn't seem to want to be driven fast. In the Scoob it is virtually effortless but in the S3 I found you had to work it to get some speed out of it. Lasting memory was the 1989 vintage Ford Sierra gearbox they seem to fit in them.

Each to their own I suppose but it wasn't my cup of tea. May have been different if I had never driven a Scoob I suppose.

Otis.
Old 21 February 2001, 08:33 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Numb and over-engineered. More cruiser than sports car, sounds like an asmatic dog. And performance is a mile off my (old) MY99. My current 330 DIESEL automatic can pull away from a friends S3 in a straight line

As EVO said about the comparison, "the S3 is so far behind the Impreza on the road it is embarrassing"
Old 21 February 2001, 09:01 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Nailed one on the road in a straight line and around the corners in my UK MY 98, I was not impressed with the performance of the car at all. The S3 could have been so much more.

Darren.
Old 21 February 2001, 09:39 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Wink

If my memory serves me correctly, in Evo magazine (which a lot of people here are Oh so fond of, and treat like the gospel), the S3 got heaps of praise in the "Greatest 4x4" test which was run a while back.

In fact, didn't it lap Mira a good deal QUICKER than the standard scoobs? And didn't it make the final, unlike the standard scoob, and miss top spots to an RB5 WR Sport and Evo 6 RS Sprint?

Gary.

PS: I've only ever been a passenger in one, but came away very impressed by its acceleration, the way the owner could really chuck it around roundabouts, and absolutely gorgeous cabin and build quality.
Old 21 February 2001, 09:43 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Red face

At my previous company we had one on our fleet. I had the joy of driving it whilst my other car was in for a major service.

Power- Hmmm, hard to say it was spleen ripping, refined without a doubt. 0-60 was not something that was urged by the engine however it still got there, quickly and quietly....some peoples cup of tea. It would be good for 140mph I should think, however I never got to take it anywhere near that.

Handling-Grippy in the right hands, certainly not a car you can give to someone and say "here you go, if you spin this you need to be taken away by men in white coats". It was light at the rear end, but I never played with the tyre pressures so perhaps not set up right.

Suspension- Hard to tell, slightl harsh but this was sat on 18'' BBS rims and perhaps the SO2s on these effected the handling and supension feel all around....again I never really pushed it to its limits.

Vs Scoob-I had a blat from some lights against a MY98 (I think) that was green and had an STI spoiler, he was equal with me until 70mph then he refrained from going any quiker as did I. Now, I hit the limiter in 1st, 2nd, 3rd...I am not sure he was really gunning it. I smiled and said " Well done" at the next set of lights...he looked blankly at me...Little would he know I owned a scoob

I am not sure, for some its a proper bit of kit...well built, nice interior with leather and heated seats on higher spec and nice looking...however If you own a scoob or have driven one the driving experience is not something you would write home about.

Regards
RonnnieH
Old 21 February 2001, 09:53 AM
Jon Jonzz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I agree that that the S3 appeals to a different market. When I was looking around to replace my Audi 90 quattro (@140,000 miles), I was interested in an Impreza turbo. There was nothing to touch it at the time (June 1999) for "most bangs per buck", although the styling (subjective)and finish equated to US$20,000 rather than £20,000.

But the biggest problem was finding one to buy let alone test drive. The waiting list was about 6 months at that time. I wanted new for Contract Hire (to transfer the risk on the residual value).

Local Audi dealer had one of the first S3s in the UK, and I took it for a test drive and bought in on the spot. Although the difference in price was nearly £8000, this was nearer to £5000 when leather and air-con was added to the Scooby, and about £100 + Vat per month on Contract Hire.

Without a chip, the S3 is no match against a standard Scooby. However, fuel consumption averages around 33 m.p.g (38 m.p.g on the motorway) and insurance is over £100 cheaper.

So there you have it, chalk and cheese, really.
Old 21 February 2001, 03:56 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gary

I think you will find that the EVO test was qan RB5 WR not a std turbo. I swapped my RB5 WR for the S3. With a chip the S3 give 265bhp and 265lbft. So it responds to tuning better than the Scoob. As I said on trqck I had no problem with std Scoobs in a straight line 99MY inc.

I also test drove the 330 CI when I had the S3. That is totally overengineered and numb. Hope your diesel is a lot better. The 330 had one of the worst steering feel of any car Ive driven.

I think that for some the S3 is too close competition. As such people like to put it down. In the same way S3 owners regard Scooby owners in the way we regard Cossie owners (puffa jackets and baseball caps)

Jonathan
Old 21 February 2001, 05:34 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Chins:
<B>Gary

I think you will find that the EVO test was qan RB5 WR not a std turbo. I swapped my RB5 WR for the S3. With a chip the S3 give 265bhp and 265lbft. So it responds to tuning better than the Scoob. As I said on trqck I had no problem with std Scoobs in a straight line 99MY inc.

I also test drove the 330 CI when I had the S3. That is totally overengineered and numb. Hope your diesel is a lot better. The 330 had one of the worst steering feel of any car Ive driven.

I think that for some the S3 is too close competition. As such people like to put it down. In the same way S3 owners regard Scooby owners in the way we regard Cossie owners (puffa jackets and baseball caps)

Jonathan [/quote]

Don't get me wrong, the 330d is no dynamic phenomenon, and doesn't poccess a great deal of steering feel - but then you don't buy a BMW diesel for steering feel or grin factor

The S3 is way faster than the 330d A to B, but mid range acceleration, the 300lb ft of torque are enough to match and pull away from my friend's S3 (motorway sliproad monday night )

IMO the S3 is a great hot hatch, and mini cruiser, but trails even a standard impreza by some margin, except build quality (and residual value )

I don't think the 'too close for comfort' arguement holds water though. Anyone who has driven the two, knows they are not *really* direct competitors aiming for the same customers!

Old 21 February 2001, 06:42 PM
karljon
Scooby Newbie

Wink

I currently have an S3 and have had an two previous Scooby turbos. Both where atolen.

The scooby is a great car but there is not much in it between the two cars. I was reading the 4x4 test article in Evo the other day and do tend to agree with their findings.

In the test the S3 beat the Audi TT,Scooby 22B, RS Cosworth, Evo 6, Carrera 4, Normal Impreza, WRX STI V, Quattro 20v, Skyline GT-R V Spec, Skyline GT-R and Intergrale Evo.

Only the Evo 6 RS Sprint and RB 5 beat the S3. The S3 is a great car and goes someway to bring about the return of the good old days for Audi after years of rubbish.

The S3 is not perfect and could be better, for £25K you get a quick car and a luxury sturdy interior, which is fun to drive, the heated Recaros and the best seats I have had in any car.

The Audi does probably appeal to a more mature person than a Scooby and is more stealth like....how many S3s have you noticed? everyome thinks its a normal A3.

I truly loved my Scoobies but they just became to much of a target for thieves, how many of you drive past groups of youths in you scoobies who stare at your car, you know they would steal it given half the chance.

My last point probably will ruffle a few people but also scoobies are now to common, with only 1000 S3s into the UK each year I only see one a month at most.

The scooby bubble burst for me when I had my last car stolen and burnt out, it was time to move on, don't get me wrong I do think the Scooby will be remembered as the car of the 90s.
Old 21 February 2001, 06:43 PM
Chunky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks fellas
Old 22 February 2001, 09:56 AM
Jason L
Scooby Regular

Well just to add my two pennys worth...

By some strange coincidence i tested an S3 just yesterday as thinking of replacing the scoob and going down the list of possible suspects.. never really considered one but saw one at the weekend and thought well lets see what its like....

I never got to test it on motorways so can't comment on crusining only twisty Wiltshire roads.

Compared to the scoob its refined and quiet... as soon as you get in you notice the heaviness of the doors and the build quality. Lots of toys inside it and the seats are great.

Driving it around town is very refined.. could almost be a BMW... on the open road its OK... but i'm afraid just OK...

The 4WD system impressed me loads... even to the point of feeling more confident that the scoobs (could be down to the 17in wheels !)

Brakes were okay.. and i was starting to like it.. however open road and the engine just let it down...

There is a big lag point around 3000rpm... very noticeable and its tricky to drive through it... also when changing up... the car holds the revs just too long which can make rapid progress a little jerky....

I think if you were going from an Golf for example it would be great but going from a scoob to an S3 just didnt work for me.. as soon as i got back in and drove the scoob again i could notice the difference and it just felt more urgent...

Saying that.. afterwards i went to test a Lotus Sport 160... mental car... road holding much better than scoob on the dry road i played on (not sure about the wet !).. total go kart and now top of my list for the next car.. unless something suprises me i think its the way forward...

Jason
Old 22 February 2001, 10:34 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

Jason,

I know what you mean, after a MY98 turbo and then STIV I've gone to an Elise 111S (similar performance to the 160 you tested) .... just a mental race-car-like experience IMHO. You will not regret it. By the way, the 111S and 160 are way faster than the new elise too (elise 2 = only 120hp), at least until they release a high-power version of it towards the end of the year.

wall
Old 22 February 2001, 12:18 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

With a prof driver on the Nurnburgring the standard MY01 WRX did a better time than the S3. This was mainly due to the brakes. According to a German magazine Autosport.
Old 22 February 2001, 01:17 PM
karljon
Scooby Newbie

My boss has an elise the build qulaity is very poor and the after sales care terrible.

If anything goes wrong expect to be driving round in a coutesy car for a couple of weeks while parts are ordered, and it will go wrong.

Great to drive poor ownership experiance. He is changing to a Boxster S next month after 8 months with the elise
Old 22 February 2001, 02:04 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Who cares which is better, Scoob owners love their cars, S3 owners love theirs.

I'm sure we can all co-exist without having to keep on with the My car's better than your's tedium.

Just my view point.

Andrew...
Old 22 February 2001, 02:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw an S3 a while back, wasnt impressed with it, he was trying to play with some rover thingy and nearly killed me, no way is it as quick as my scoob, he was trying to overtake me before he ran out of road and i was not impressed. Myth time thou, the S3 is not a proper 4x4, its electronically controlled, just like the calibra 4x4, it doesnt have a diff, unlike our cars, its a fat lardy car to be honest with you, it weights more than an "old shape impreza" to start with, Dont expect german reliability because beleive me, VAG are as reliable as ford, i worked for them for a while, they dont have any visable warnings about running down the engine, so buy one and hope the turbo doesnt give out on you, cos if i treated my baby like ive seen TT's 1.8T gtis treated id be having a new turbo before 60k!
They do hold their value more than scoobs, they have better build quality but thats it, not a rated car in my book, i would rather have my old 306 gti-6 back, now that was a real drivers car (and it beat the s3 for drivability in the hot hatch test )

Tony
Old 22 February 2001, 03:26 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I haven't driven an S3 (although my mate test drove one and says that it doesn't compare to my STi) but the Evo magazine test which resulted in.....
<I>"In the test the S3 beat the Audi TT,Scooby 22B, RS Cosworth, Evo 6, Carrera 4, Normal Impreza, WRX STI V, Quattro 20v, Skyline GT-R V Spec, Skyline GT-R and Intergrale Evo"</I>
needs a bit of "deeper" reading.
I mean there is some seriously fast and capable machinery in that line up and quite frankly that conclusion, on face value, looks akin to Top Gear's car of the year award (Fiat Multipla was the pile they chose as I recall).
I would imagine, in fact expect, the Audi to be more solid and well built/appointed (my brother in law's A6 always seemed over-engineered to me) and higher in the comfort stakes, but that would introduce an expected blunting of performance?
Ya takes yer choice at the end of the day;
2 different approaches to <I>similar</I> types of car.

Neil.

Old 22 February 2001, 05:19 PM
karljon
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Well said we can co-exist, the roads are bigger enough for both of us, or should that be trains with the new speeding laws being muted.

Anyway most of the guys on the S3 BBS have had Imprezas as previous cars as I did, there is not a lot between the cars, both have positive and minus points.

I am happy with the S3 at present but you never know I might go back to Subaru in future, if they give the new car a face lift. Sorry I could not help that last comment.....
Old 23 February 2001, 11:08 AM
Audidude
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Some pretty interesting comments here.
I own an S3 (MTM 250ps) and have driven many scoobys including Jap spec STis. Very different cars and both superb at meeting their design briefs.

I am astounded at such comments as:
"What a load of crap!!!" - TopCat
"increased my speed slowly to 40mph and the back swang out." - TopCat - was a tyre flat??!!
"Steered on a roundabout but car just carried straight on into the kerb, destroying lots of suspension-ey bits." - boomer - thought of a driving course?
"Numb and over-engineered. More cruiser than sports car, sounds like an asmatic dog." - GaryC.
"As EVO said about the comparison, "the S3 is so far behind the Impreza on the road it is embarrassing"" - GaryC. Ref please - I have all EVOs published and cannot recall the S3 described as "embarrassing".
"With a prof driver on the Nurnburgring the standard MY01 WRX did a better time than the S3" - Hunk. Now _there's_ the ultimate criterion on which to choose a car!
"Who cares which is better, Scoob owners love their cars, S3 owners love theirs.
I'm sure we can all co-exist without having to keep on with the My car's better than your's tedium." - AndrewC - aahh - common sense at last!

OTT slanging comments such as these cast the authors as blinkered enthusiasts who cannot countenance another car as being as good as theirs (or -gasp- better).

I love driving pre-2001 Imprezas - they are a total blast. But I love living in AND driving my S3 - not as tactile as the Impreza and the chassis nowhere near as lively and communicative, but with the (dealer supported here in NZ) MTM ECU, almost as fast as an STi cross country with a standard Impreza left well behind. Don't even begin to compare 2001 Impreza!! Great chassis in search of some power and steering feel. e.g. 80-110kph in 3rd gear: Impreza=4.5s, S3(MTM)= 2.5s - that's a performance chasm.

This board also demonstrates many owners of Imprezas now own S3s but not the reverse. In my circle of friends and acquaintances many have switched from Subarus to Audis but NONE have gone the other way. Three STi owners included.

So, a piece of crap? - I think not.

Cheers

Audidude - aka Greg Spark
New Zealand

Old 23 February 2001, 02:48 PM
russellw
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Well done to Greg (Audidude) and Karljon for putting it in to perspective.

Like several others on this post, I'm a former Scooby owner (MY97 5dr) who now runs an S3 - for just 4 wks so far, and I can agree with many of the comments here.

S3 PROs (in no particular order)
Good (if not outstanding) performance
Eager throttle response
Turbo on song by 2000rpm
Georgeous interior
Electric Recaros
Decent 3-spoke leather wheel (hate 4-spokers when pressing on)
31MPG typ economy (26-27 in the Scoob)
Stealth looks (not to be underestimated in Brum !)
General build quality
Decent stereo

S3 CONs
Lack of outright oomph (nothing a trip to Superchips with AOC won't sort out)
Squeeks and buzzes from dash
Tyre noise from the 17"ers (getting used to this)
and thats IT !

WHAT I'LL MISS ABOUT THE IMPREZA
The wonderful mid range punch after 2500rpm
Communicative chassis and driver involvement
Reliability (not yet a problem on the Audi)
The great sense of community amongst owners and on this BBS

WHAT I WON'T MISS ABOUT THE IMPREZZA
Nickability factor
poor fuel economy
falling used values
low grade interior
Bright Switch

Originally I sold my Impreza in Jan 2000 after 2.5 years from new and enjoyed it immensely. I still remember the lead up to getting the car when (much to the annoyance of the other half) I checked out over 20 different Subaru dealers from Stirling to Southampton before ordering.
Enthusiast - Yes, mad - well maybe !

The idea was to take a look at the new MY01 WRX when it came out, but gave it a big thumbs down when the first pictures came out. Decided not to dismiss it until viewed in the flesh and driven.

To cut a long story short (and having dismissed the new Toyota Celica 190) I arranged test drives in the WRX and the S3 both on the same day.
My impressions (of WRX) were as many others;
Ugly,
Lacking in power
but great chassis and brakes

When push came to shove I could not bring myself to spend so much dosh on something so ugly.
The S3 whilst flawed, impressed me more on the day as a good all rounder.

Oh yes, I noticed the back stepping out when lifting off halfway round a roundabout in the S3 but this seems to be a characteristic of the earlier models. It doesn't seem to happen in the later MY01 S3.

Don't get me wrong, whilst I too loved the Scoob, times have changed - used prices falling, target for thieves, etc.
Maybe I'm just an old git (39) Karljon !

All in all I'm happy with the choice I've made in the S3.

Russell

PS Karljon, where's the S3 BBS you mention ?
PPS Drop me an E-mail sometime if you want to meet up in Brum area.
Old 23 February 2001, 05:57 PM
karljon
Scooby Newbie

It seems to be very quiet here from scooby owners.....lost your tongues.

RussellW check your mail mate.......join us on the dark side with our rubbish cars....
Old 23 February 2001, 06:26 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Audidude/ Greg

Agree with most of your comments. however no one gone the other way ????.

I did. I swapped from the S3 to the P1. Ive then gone back to Audi, but the S4. That has to go due to it being crap. MY01 turning up in just over a week. Yes I did choose it over the S3.

Jonathan
Old 23 February 2001, 06:47 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

I have tried to stay out of this one but here goes:

My brother has an S3 - I have a uk My00
He has chipped and de - catted his car.
The chip totaly transforms the S3 it now pulls incredibly in any gear.

I have a full scooby sport system and a unichip.
On the road there is virtually no difference in performance, off the mark the scoob has the edge but apart from that not alot in it.

The S3's handling is very good indeed and the grip is outstanding especially in the wet.

At the end of the day its personal choice and I prefer my scoob although the interior of the S3 is oustanding, and if it was in the scoob it would make it the perfect car.
(in my oppinion)

Whilst the S3 looks nice at, first glance it could be a 1.6! it just does'nt stand out enough for me.

Sam

[This message has been edited by sammyh (edited 23 February 2001).]
Old 23 February 2001, 09:15 PM
SSE
Scooby Regular

Used to own an A3 1.8T Ambition, remapped to 200ps/300Nm, with replacement panel filter, performance exhaust cat-back, 225/45/17, Eibach springs, leather interior, etc etc. A pretty good package and impressive in-gear acceleration. Had a test drive in an S3 and found it slower both thru and in gears than my A3, besides its suspension was soft enough for the front spoiler to scratch the road in small bumps at speed. Decided the wannabe 4x4, 6 gears and extra weight wasn't worth the extra money, so I bought an MY00 wagon instead. It's a totally different car and so much more communicative and satisfying to drive, offering much better steering and brake feel.
The Audi is quick, stable and handling pretty well, but I find it less involving. To illustrate: You can extract 80 percent of the A3/S3s performance with 50 percent effort. But double the effort and it will only return 5-10 percent more. The Scooby returns performance proportionally as you try, which I find much more satisfying.
My Scoob is now remapped to approx 270ps, KN panel filter and Remus box, but it actually still struggles to to match the good old A3s in-gear accelleration at lower revs. At higher revs though......
And more important: Every time it starts snowing outside, I go for a cross-country blast in the Scooby having the time of my life. That was unthinkable (read: boring/uninspiring/dangerous...)in the A3. (That also goes for any Haldex based 4x4 car.)

[This message has been edited by SSE (edited 23 February 2001).]
Old 24 February 2001, 11:44 AM
Jason L
Scooby Regular

Audidude...

Good comments.. which i agree with as this should be a sensible discussion not slanging match...

I was impressed by the S3 just wanted more urge from it.. all i can say is its a shame that UK Audi dealers dont reflect that of NZ Audi dealers and allow chipping.. if so.. i would have bought the car as this would have improved it no end and then it would have been all i wanted...

Jason

Quick Reply: experiences of Audi s3