Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just broken my McGard nut key, is there another way to get them off?

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2009, 12:46 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just broken my McGard nut key, is there another way to get them off?

just swapping my wheels over and bang, the profile in the key has sheared straight off

i've got the code for the key, trouble is i've got 2 sets of lockers so i'll have to buy one of each i've found this number McGard Replacement Lock Keys has anyone dealt with them before and have an idea how long a replacement will take?

or can it be done online?

Or is it quicker going through a dealer as informed to do so on the key info card?

but my biggest concern is that i changed 2 on 1 side before the key broke, so i'm running different tyres on each side. i'm not too happy doing this so is there a way to get these off without damaging the alloy?

i really don't want to damage the wheels (only just had them refurbed!) but is there a magic way of getting them off?

cheers,
Paul
Old 20 December 2009, 12:55 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

Hi,

here are different ways of getting them off.
What I used to do, not best idea but worked, was to knock on a socket that was just a bit smaller than the nut.
Old 20 December 2009, 01:58 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the_big_1
Hi,

here are different ways of getting them off.
What I used to do, not best idea but worked, was to knock on a socket that was just a bit smaller than the nut.
if i had a bit more room to get at it i'd give this a try, but i really don't want to damage the hole. i sized up a bigger socket and there's not really the clearance, one wrong slip and the rim is fooked

cheers anyway though
Old 20 December 2009, 02:23 PM
chris_wrx
Scooby Regular

if your wheels were fitted with lock nuts at a main dealer they have a number of skeleton keys could try that if not then like above smallfer socket with some masking tape on it to protect the rims
Old 20 December 2009, 03:53 PM
mrmarc
Scooby Regular

i had the same problem with a sheared lock nut and sent it back to mcgard hq in germany and had a free replacement in about 8days i seem to remember.i think the returns details can be found on there website.HTH
Old 20 December 2009, 04:01 PM
scoobs 4 life
Scooby Regular

had this problem on another car also with mcCrap nuts.
jack it up, tighten all the other nuts as much as you can(without breaking anything else),
try and get a socket on and turn slowly putting a lot of pressure onto the nut. there is another way but it takes to long to explain. try this first.
Old 20 December 2009, 04:54 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmarc
i had the same problem with a sheared lock nut and sent it back to mcgard hq in germany and had a free replacement in about 8days i seem to remember.i think the returns details can be found on there website.HTH

top man mentioning the german hq, found it and have ordered some replacement keys online hopefully german efficency will get them sent out quickly

once they turn up i'll pursue getting the broken one replaced FOC, just want to get the proper wheels on as soon as i can!

cheers for the replies guys

Trending Topics

Old 20 December 2009, 11:04 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Hi
Recently had the same problem and posted here and another Scooby site. My lock nuts were Subaru fitted and luckily I had the code. New key arrived overnight but the offending nut was locked solid - this must have caused the breakage.

All advice I had was hammer on a socket. Did it and it worked a treat with no rim damage. I run OZ Prodrive alloys.

Good luck
Old 20 December 2009, 11:08 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
Hi
Recently had the same problem and posted here and another Scooby site. My lock nuts were Subaru fitted and luckily I had the code. New key arrived overnight but the offending nut was locked solid - this must have caused the breakage.

All advice I had was hammer on a socket. Did it and it worked a treat with no rim damage. I run OZ Prodrive alloys.

Good luck
Just a thought - To avoid damage to the rim when I hammered the socket on I had it on a short extension bar.
Old 20 December 2009, 11:10 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your desperate to get it off, I think tyre web stock these so should have a replacement/skeleton key etc. in stock.