Sponsored by:

MIDLAND MEET

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2001, 03:56 PM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Just wanted to give a big shout out to all those who helped organise todays meet. Wicked maps, great roads and great people!

Highlights for me included watching people sail over a humpbackbridge - one guy landing so hard he set off his airbags and cracked his windscreen(ouch!!!!)

Whens the next one??

Has anyone got any picks?

James

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited 25 February 2001).]
Old 25 February 2001, 04:48 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Smile

Big thanks to everyone who made the effort to turn up.
About 20 ish cars i think, but i`m sure i`ll be corrected. The roads were probably on the greasey side but still a great time was had.

Sorry about the guy( i`m crap with names ) who FLEW big style over the humpback bridge and set off both the airbags and cracked his windscreen, hope ya get it sorted quickly and without to much bother.

Soula, Hope you get the clutch sorted, but that`ll teach ya for buying an Evo

See you all on the next one.

Paul

Old 25 February 2001, 05:31 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Talking

James,

check out
Old 25 February 2001, 06:01 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Highlights for me included watching people sail over a humpbackbridge - one guy landing so hard he set off his airbags and cracked his windscreen(ouch!!!!) and the 12 car convoy that overtook one very frightened old lady in one move!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think this is the kind of thing you should be promoting on hear about meets organised!! Especially in light of the recent escapades with some of the RS Vs Scooby lot!!!!!!!!!!

Shaun.
Old 25 February 2001, 06:16 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Shut up Shaun!

Great day lads, excellent route which was properly organised. I shall be at the next one.

Harj..
Old 25 February 2001, 06:17 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
sounds like i missed a good meet!!!!!!

but i have 230bhp from the Well Lane Turbo Centre RR day!!!! so my day has gone great 4 me anyway.

Paul
see you next time

Phil
Old 25 February 2001, 06:17 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Shaun,

i agree that we shouldn't glamourise this kind of thing, but the guy involved was in a convoy, so wasn't speeding or driving dangerously. The bridge concerned is VERY harsh yet looks so smooth. Maybe having taught suspension settings and big wheels can trigger air-bags much more easily?

We should all pause for thought about this, because it can so easily happen, but there is no blame - just a VERY badly signposted hump-back bridge (which was clearly marked on the meet route map).

mb
Old 25 February 2001, 06:26 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Exclamation

Boomer,
Just making a valid point......but it was the bit about the old lady that was the real worry!!!!

Harj,
You are so so sad, it's unreal!!!!!

Shaun.
Old 25 February 2001, 06:44 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Shaun,

i agree with your comment about the "old lady", although i can't comment about the actual situation because i was not there. We all need to respect other road users, wrinkly or otherwise - and i must admit that respect seems to be the norm at Scooby meets, for 30 limits, horses, blind junctions, ice etc. This is something that needs to be highlighted, to show that most SIDC members are pretty decent folks!

mb
Old 25 February 2001, 06:55 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All

I'm really pleased the event went well.. I was hoping to be there but work got in the way again...

I completely agree with Shaun's comment and emailed the starter of this thread earlier asking him to edit out the bit that mentioned the old lady. The reason is that "frightening old ladies" is not the kind of thing most of us would like associated with our community.

I am sure it did not happen the way it sounded, which is why it might be best if the post was edited.

I'll give it a couple more hours before editing it myself.

Best regards

webmaster
Old 25 February 2001, 06:56 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

PS. Shaun. thank you for your support and for taking matters which could affect the way the community could be viewed, serious.
Old 25 February 2001, 08:10 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

I thought Old Ladies were there to be scared? Ooh did I forget to mention the Metro we ran off into the trees too?

Great a Bulletin Board with Ethics

[This message has been edited by harj (edited 25 February 2001).]
Old 25 February 2001, 08:46 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Cool

Alright Guys,
A most enjoyable day. Awesome range of cars, fantastic driving roads, superb weather and a right crack with a great bunch of people.

Big thanx to Paul & Kev for making it all possible once again. It was as good as, of not better than last years event ... good on 'ya both!! Great to see you back up an running Kev .

Managed at least one heart stopping moment in the TypeR as she decided to have a big oversteery moment whilst on full chat in 2nd.
Caught the slide but managed to give the kerb a kiss with the NSR wheel as i gathered it all back up. Well, it's a memory/momento of a fantastic day!! . I could have commited improbable sexual acts with my baby today as she was going like a train. That cold weather + SUL + Millers sure is a good diet.

Tried to re-enact last years hump back bridge big air moment but alas, i failed! Even after trying a standing start run up for the cameras (i am such a tart) all i managed was zero traction and bouncing off the limiter whilst going over the bridge at a snails pace. The 2001 Big Air Award deffo goes to Schuey (Jon) who was certainly havin it large today. My reign is over ....... long live the king!!!!!

Nice to see a few new faces, Dave, Oliver etc. and obviously catching up with the usual reprobates was as good as ever.

Note to Chez & IanG :- There is life after 5000rpm guys!!! Try a Wherthers Original in your tanks, you just never know.

Soula, hope you get the EVO back on song soon. Just a thought about your dogs, when they bark, do they go E's, A's, Whizz instead of Woof, Woof, Woof??

Cheers
Chris
STI V TypeR V-Limited
Old 25 February 2001, 09:29 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Twas a top day...

Yes yes, I know we took a leasurely drive but getting lost at the first turning was a bit of a problem

I believe a should win the following awards:

* Best MPG
* Worst ever attempt at parking in a motorway service station (it took about 40 seconds LOL)

Anyway...the roads were fun...the people were great...the food was pretty cool too.

Can't wait for the next one....maybe I'll even clean my car

Ian.
Old 25 February 2001, 10:24 PM
sourob
Scooby Regular

Cool

Excellent day,great people,shame about my dodgy clutch(:Anyway akira my dogs sniff snort and sigh!!! Thanks to john who even with a hangover from hell drove down from Manchester,and throughly enjoyed it.See you all soon i hope.Chez lets sort out that barmy bus bender soon .Soula.DIA8.
Old 25 February 2001, 10:41 PM
ski
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Great stuff everybody,really enjoyed the day with geat poeple and great cars.Route was well organised(cheers Kev&Paul)
See you all next time

ski
Old 25 February 2001, 11:18 PM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Flippin eck!

Sorry guys for "lowering the tone". I would have edited my message but i was out ram-raiding in downtown leicester. The whole event was conducted in a very professional manner with everyone adhering to local speed limits. This was no Dukes of Hazord type of affair at all. Sorry if my posting upset anyone.

The old lady in question apparently (i didnt see - my co-driver did - i was just joking!!!!!) just looked at bit bemused by all the stunning cars she saw (and definately heard!!!). She wasnt really scared - i just made it sound funnier - OK? Spur of the moment - still buzzing from an excellent meeting and all that.

If a joke constitutes you preventing my freedom of speech by editing my comment then i'll take the 5th on that one - glad we aint in the USA or i'd have you done for contravening my civil liberties!!!!

GREAT MEET EVERYONE!!!!!

Maybe you Web Masters (the new Judge Dredds of the internet) should start putting some rules saying stuff like "tho shalt not express funny moments from thi cruise should they suggest irresponsible behaviour". Bleedin hell fellas and fellettes! Next they'll be trying to ban Hunting web sites from mentioning a *****in fox got murdered incase it upsets anyone!!!!

People who drive Imprezas do it to "enjoy driving". No one is interested in our little "parlais" except us. Why does someone like you think they have the right to decide what is and is not correct to express? Are you taking it all a bit too serious. We arent the reliant-robbin.net are we - we drive rediculously fast cars dont we???? So when in Rome surely do as the Romans?

Oh well, no point waisting any more timing expressing my freedom of speech, it'll only get deleted anyway! And I thought "big brother" was only part of an Orwell novel. Guess i was wrong - its the BBS!!! Burn some crosses and hunt out all us freedom of speechers who make jokes about old ladies!!!!!

By the way - great photos folks. Big shout out to everyone who attended!!! Glad the weather was good - made for some excellent photos. Glad the cars looked mucky though - no one could see the ugly headlights on my WRX and post any witty comments about how great they look!!!

Just edited this message incase anyone is upset by its contents - anyone who is upset, please accept my apologies for this terrible excuse for humour (which you may have also seen in my driving style today.........!!) i wont try it again. So very very sorry - sorry.......... !!!!!!!!

GREAT MEET FOLKS - WHENS THE NEXT ONE?

James

[This message has been edited by James Douglas (edited 25 February 2001).]
Old 25 February 2001, 11:32 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Oh dear oh dear.

Like I said "I am sure it did not happen the way it sounded, which is why it might be best if the post was edited."

It was a simple request, and specifically left the thread alone for many hours after requesting it be edited. I did not edit anything else apart from the part where you expressed that frightening an old lady was the one of the highlights of your day.

Don't take it personally, but...

This a website which allows it's members to chose the content it publishes. This means that it has the right to alter any of that content if needs be.

I hold the reputation and welbeing of the scoobynet community in very high regard indeed, which is why I spend about 4 hours a day (7 days a week), sometimes more on it, and another person (who I employ) spends about 4-6 hours a day monday to friday on it.

I apologise if you disagree with me on this small point. I really don't think it is important enough to insult us..

I think you can live without telling the world that you frightened an old lady.

Best regards

Simon

PS. Classic example of a very simple thing that was no big deal, turning into a flame war.
Old 25 February 2001, 11:37 PM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Please note ive edited the message - read it again ok!!!

What are you doing at 11.36 on the web - dont you have a life??!??!???!??? !!!!

James
Old 26 February 2001, 09:27 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Unhappy

James,
You have been told in the "MOST NICEST" way, concerning the dramatising of overtaking a "very frightend old lady"!!!! Why don't you heed that comment! Or....... put it this way, if that had been your Gran, would you find it such a point to make???!

Nobody here is laying the law down, it's not "Back at School" syndrome. It's just that some people (members), make take acception to comments like that. Us moderators are here "To advise & keep the peace......and sometimes repremand". May I take this opportunity to state you have been adviced and NOT repremanded.

Please don't result to personal attacks, it's definatley not helping the situation.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 26 February 2001, 09:41 AM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Personal tactics? - now you definately are taking things way to seriously.

Shall we ballot people on who cares about the words "scared an old lady". I notice that Harj's comments about the metro he ran off the road were taken in jest by yourself, but my comments were not. But then you know Harj dont you - your allowing your personal knowledge that he would only be joking to let him get away with that!!! But i get edited.

I find it very offensive to suggest that i was part of a group that ran cars of the road. But you havent done diddly about that have you. One rule for some, another for the new boys. Cliq Cliq Cliq!!! SO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES THE LOT OF YOU!!!!

Bored now - you are the weekest link Shaun - Goodbye !!

Sorry Harj - just an example mate (i thought that was witty!!
Old 26 February 2001, 09:48 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Guys
I've posted my thanks under the Midlands forum but I'll add a few words here....many thanks to the organisers....great to see so many folks enjoying life..... I would like to echo Shaun and SDB's thoughts but in reality..on the day....the standard of driving was good....which hopefully will allow us to continue doing this kind of thing without upsetting the locals or the constabulary.......we need to remember others.....ie the local motorclubs who may have authorised stage or road rallies stopped because people have seen others tear ar5ing around the neighbourhood.......and as a competitor myself I would not like to see it......anyhow......everyone behaved especially with joggers and horses on the roads.......so good one folks.....
Harj - I think you did well to bail when you did mate....not an effing sarnie in the whole pub.....whats the world coming to.....
Old 26 February 2001, 10:21 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Richard

Thanks for your support.

I completely agree that the day would have been conducted in the usual professional while fun manner. This is why i said "I am sure it did not happen the way it sounded, which is why it might be best if the post was edited."

James

You have obviously not been around long enough to realise how friendly we all are, and how this kind of thing normally works.

My simple request, which you could have said "Oh, yeah, good point, it's perhaps not ideal, I'll remove it even though I don't think it's a big problem, just in-case it offends anyone." to, and everyone would have been happy. Instead you forced it to become some kind of crusade against the evil management, or something.

What a shame to spoil such a great day (by the sound of it) when this could have been so simple.

We are getting increased attention from the media, and last thing I (or almost anyone here) would want is for a mag to run a "ScoobyNet Frighten Old Ladies For Fun" story, explaining how we blast round the countryside on organised rags and leap over hump-back bridges laughing as we frighten old ladies.

I KNOW IT DIDN'T HAPPEN LIKE THAT. Which is why I thought it might be best if you edited your post to reflect the REAL events, not the sensationalised version you posted.

If you don't like the rules, that's your perogative. If you don't like the way this is run, please spend a significant portion of every day running your own bbs and you can post what the hell you like. A great number of people have spent a few years building up a community which stands for decency, integrity and fun. This is all I want to protect. My apologies if that offends you.

irritated regards

webmaster
Old 26 February 2001, 10:22 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

[This message has been edited by harj (edited 26 February 2001).]
Old 26 February 2001, 10:35 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Peeps
This thread may be on the verge of spiralling into a personal slanging match with people bouncing accusations off each other.......this ISN'T why we do this kind of thing at weekends is it.......we are all enthusiasts, some who put a lot of effort into the bbs, meets, track days yadda yadda yadda......I don't want to do this but I'm gonna have to agree with Harj on this one - lighten up before something serious happens and we lose the bbs and/or friendships.......
Old 26 February 2001, 10:39 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

I'm closing this thread.

It is the first time I've had to do that in months.

I think we all need time to cool down a bit and reflect that this is no big deal which has turned into a big deal for silly reasons.

Please feel free to email me to discuss it.

Everyone is welcome here. I am sure you can see why I thought it was important to remove that one comment.

regards

webmaster