Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2009, 06:22 PM
scoobyboothy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diagnostics tool

has anyone got one of these

ELM327 CAR DIAGNOSTIC CODE READER SCANNER OBD2 TOOL ver1.2a

and do they work on subaru's ? on eabay they say they do, but the one that i have doesn't seem to
Old 20 October 2011, 10:20 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

what software are you trying to use with it ?
Old 20 October 2011, 08:12 PM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

Mine works fine for normal OBDII tasks...
Old 21 October 2011, 12:34 AM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

With regard to classics, they are not true OBD2 so the universal readers won't work.
Old 21 October 2011, 09:43 AM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Yeah, got one of these and they work ok on the wifes Ka, haven't tried it yet on my scoob. As said above they aren't true OBDII so you may need a 9-pin converter to use with your scooby. (Available on ebay, let me know if you get one and it works)!
Old 21 October 2011, 12:56 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

98-00 Classics have an OBDII port, but not the OBDII protocol, maybe some models before, but early were 9-pin. So its only PSi3 Data monitors, and very expensive (snap on etc) diagnotics machines that use the SSM (Subaru Select Monitor).

There is somebody selling an SSM cable in the for sale section. You can do a lot with that, coding keys, airbag reset etc.
Old 21 October 2011, 11:46 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

General rule is 2001 cars have obd at is was sort of standardised then for general diagnostics BUT be warned that you still can get silly error codes that won't be the issue as such

Eg: I used a snapon joby on the missus astra and it came up with maf sensor which it sort of has but it's not a real maf sensor as such, anyway after buying a new one when changing it I noticed one of the hose clips the attach the temp sensor to the throtle was loose as someone had over tightened it so it wasn't really sealing which was the cause of the issue rather than the sensor

What I'm saying is get the fault code and then diagnose things attached to see
If anything is iffy then decide if you need a nee sensor ect or if it's just water ingress or loose fitting ect ect ect

Trending Topics

Old 22 October 2011, 10:17 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a classic you dont need one tbh, if you have a new age... well tbh they are a waste of cash most of the time, if you have a fault then the chances are something has gone, but it may give you several fault codes, so do you change all the sensors it throws up or take the car to a dealer who will charge you (depends on the dealer) 20 - 40 quid to diagnose more precisely what the issue is with their more expensive and much better diagnostic equipment?

Tony
Old 23 October 2011, 09:42 AM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
If you have a classic you dont need one tbh, if you have a new age... well tbh they are a waste of cash most of the time, if you have a fault then the chances are something has gone, but it may give you several fault codes, so do you change all the sensors it throws up or take the car to a dealer who will charge you (depends on the dealer) 20 - 40 quid to diagnose more precisely what the issue is with their more expensive and much better diagnostic equipment?

Tony

All a dealer does is read the same sort of code but they have spare sensors/coil packs ect to go through things 1 by 1, I know this as I work as a parts advisor for a ford main dealer and deal with the general returns in clocks and airbags squibs and ecu's when they realise they are not the fault but the general common stuff they keep spares for quick checking ect