Sponsored by:

Anyone got a big-bang R1?

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2009, 02:37 PM
ciampi5048
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone got a big-bang R1?

Hi all. Posted this in the Bikers section but just in case not many view it as much as the General forum, thought I'd enter it here too!

Just wondered if any Scooby owners/bikers have one of the latest cross-plane crank R1s. I've had a 1994 Fireblade for the past 8 years (loved every minute of it!) but now am looking to upgrade to something newer. Further to reading all test rides/mcn reports/youtube clips etc plus all the hype re this magnifient engine developed over the last few years by Rossi/Spies, it seems the one to go for even though not test ridden one yet.

Got a chance of an 09 model with barely 2k miles so before I travel to view, wanted some feedback off perhaps some of you guys who may have one/tested one.

Appreciate any owners comments and suggestions. Also considered GSXR 1000 but the sound of that Yamaha engine is just so awesome! I know most superbikes offer similar performance & my 1994 Blade isn't that far behing the latest fuel-injected 09 Blades so it goes without saying that either of these two machines would entertain me "enough" (in the sunshine) along with the Scooby (for winter!) but always nice to get 1st hand experiences & recommendations from fellow enthusiasts.

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers, Roman.
Old 14 December 2009, 07:02 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I have ridden the new R1 on a test ride. Its not my normal type of bike, I prefer sports tourer. It does sound and pulls well from low revs, especially if you have the full Akropovic full system, which my test bike had

I couldn't ride it for long periods, but now I've seen a full comfort handle bar kit by ABM. This makes it into a FZ1 riding position.
Old 15 December 2009, 02:42 AM
ciampi5048
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R1

Originally Posted by andy97
I have ridden the new R1 on a test ride. Its not my normal type of bike, I prefer sports tourer. It does sound and pulls well from low revs, especially if you have the full Akropovic full system, which my test bike had

I couldn't ride it for long periods, but now I've seen a full aights and comfort handle bar kit by ABM. This makes it into a FZ1 riding position.sound rather nice.

Thanks Andy. It has the Akrapovic end cans so expect it to sound rather nice and has a tail-tidy so the reg plate doesn't dangle half-way over the rear tyre. Obviously goes like stink, MCN testers raved over how it trounces all the latest breed of superbikes on the straights and on entry/exit of corners. Rather excited to view it now, although not as much as when I got my Scooby last month!

Cheers, Roman.