Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: IS this site still giving YOU problems?
Yes, it's still awful
46.94%
Yes, but I'm now resigned to it/it's acceptable to me.
19.39%
No, it's fine.
33.67%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Two weeks later: IS the site still giving you problems? Vote now.

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2009, 09:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Two weeks later: IS the site still giving you problems? Vote now.

As per title. My last poll closed with over 50% dissatisfied.
IB seem to be doing nothing, either because they don't know how, or they don't care.

Make YOUR vote count here.
Old 06 December 2009, 09:48 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hit and miss but generally unreliable.
Old 06 December 2009, 10:18 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very unreliable. still tons of timeouts, refreshes and having to hit buttons 20 times to commit things but they are still having trouble and only have a workaround in place right?
Old 06 December 2009, 10:42 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Its been ok for me, but basically there isn't an alternative, so we have little choice.
Old 06 December 2009, 11:17 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no problems at all
Old 06 December 2009, 11:28 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrighty338
very unreliable. still tons of timeouts, refreshes and having to hit buttons 20 times to commit things but they are still having trouble and only have a workaround in place right?
I believe that to be the case.

Again I am replying with nothing of help to add to this.

I couldn't claim to have the answers for those still experiencing problems, I wish I did, but sorry I don't.

Personally, it is slow at times, but mostly ok. It is at times difficult for me to tell, as we're having internet problems all round, so hard to know if/when it's SN or just crappy AOL.

I'm really sorry I can't offer more in the way of explanation, and can only assume IB will update when they have further information. As said by themselves/Stu, there is little point in responding with no additional info.
Old 06 December 2009, 11:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Fine for me.

Just need to fix that bug in fight club.

Trending Topics

Old 07 December 2009, 12:28 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Seems that +members are OK

TX.
Old 07 December 2009, 07:13 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Time outs for me and often have to refresh
Old 07 December 2009, 09:20 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Seems that +members are OK

TX.
Sadly not all that reassuring for others who have paid money but aren't plus members.
I'm still wondering if they've blocked or have applied some sort of bandwidth throttling to an IP address range where the D-O-S attacks were coming from.

Stu did say he wasn't at liberty to say how they'd applied the workaround which suggests to me they haven't applied correct filters to dynamically filter out repeated hits. Very frustrating, and a very slow turnaround by their development team.
Regardless of how many users the site has, a proper D-O-S fix should not take this long - I work in web dev and would be annoyed to say the least if I was a client and received this sort of turnaround time from a dev team.

Oh, and to Ali B's comment in the last thread re AVG - "unreliable" isn't something I'd use in the same sentence mate.
AVG has on several occassions detected viruses which were missed by Mcafee, F-Secure and Norton Antivirus, and it's free!
Given that you can selectively enable and disable the various components of it I don't have issues with it performance-wise. It doesn't, for example max out my processor like Mcafee does when it has a "moment."

And given that everyone on this thread is saying in general other sites are fine, I don't think we can really start pointing the finger at AntiVirus programs yet, unless somehow IB have managed to get themselves onto a restricted site list somewhere?

Last edited by MrNoisy; 07 December 2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07 December 2009, 10:10 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob

Oh, and to Ali B's comment in the last thread re AVG - "unreliable" isn't something I'd use in the same sentence mate.
AVG has on several occassions detected viruses which were missed by Mcafee, F-Secure and Norton Antivirus, and it's free!
Given that you can selectively enable and disable the various components of it I don't have issues with it performance-wise. It doesn't, for example max out my processor like Mcafee does when it has a "moment."
I disagree; Too many clients have dropped in their computers to my office for me to sort out/upgrade so they will run Sage satisfactorarily. Far too many are found to be virus ridden and severly low on system resources (lack of RAM, CPU and page file overworked etc.). Most have AVG, PCguard, Norton or McAfee. None of which I like nor recommend.

In most cases, removing AVG and replacing it for nod32 has improved system's performance, some to the point that they didn't need any hardware upgrading.

In some cases AVG was inoperable anyway due to the system being infected with a virus which prevented AVG from functioning properly. Others had viruses that AVG simply either didn't detect, or couldn't remove, but was found and removed when nod32 or kaspersky was installed (I don't use the latter anymore). I've had the same issues with Norton and PCguard.

Anyhoo, personal opinions and experiences aside, my the point being; Someone complains about poor site speed, yet their computer is most likely being heavily slowed down by the software its running. Ok, it won't fix scoobynet, but I couldn't resist in pointing out that potential irony.

You never know, that crappy AV software maybe allowing computers to act as drones that may DDoS Scoobynet.

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 December 2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07 December 2009, 11:09 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its generally slow
Old 07 December 2009, 11:52 AM
notfub
Scooby Regular

Well of all the websites I visit, only Scoobynet gives me problems. About 50% of pages work fine but I'm constantly hitting refresh to get some pages to open, frustrating.
Old 07 December 2009, 01:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Still the ONLY site I use out of about ten BBS sites which is giving me problems

And to say it might be AVG: that's just pandering to the IB idea that somehow it's our fault, when in reality, it's theirs and they don't know how to fix it

AVG is the LEAST memory hungry AV I've ever used

Isn't it strange how quickly my post about IB not knowing what they were doing disappeared?
Old 07 December 2009, 01:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Still the ONLY site I use out of about ten BBS sites which is giving me problems

And to say it might be AVG: that's just pandering to the IB idea that somehow it's our fault, when in reality, it's theirs and they don't know how to fix it

AVG is the LEAST memory hungry AV I've ever used

Isn't it strange how quickly my post about IB not knowing what they were doing disappeared?
Old 07 December 2009, 01:14 PM
scott64
Scooby Regular

very unreliable sometimes takes ages to load and then when it does i cant put up any posts cant beleive i paid for this
Old 07 December 2009, 01:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by alcazar
And to say it might be AVG

Read my post again and note the point where I say:
Ok, it won't fix scoobynet
Its still very poor software IMO, buts it free, so what do you expect?

I currently think this might just be a pure coincidence: https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-r...verything.html

Not strange at all: The thread was deleted as you already have several open threads complaining about the very same thing.

We know, IB knows, Stu knows. We get it your not happy, the whole of scoobynet gets it, so stop sounding like a broken record. Keep the complaints in one place, and that way we can easily follow any feedback from everyone as its all in one place. Any big or major announcements or changes will be in the news and anouncements section, of which is automatically shown on scoobynet's home page.

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 December 2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07 December 2009, 02:05 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Nothing slowing down the PC's here, but SN is still having problems loading etc.
Old 07 December 2009, 05:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Not strange at all: The thread was deleted as you already have several open threads complaining about the very same thing.
Ah come on, Ali, I can smell the b/s of that reply coming down my internet connection

We know, IB knows, Stu knows. We get it your not happy, the whole of scoobynet gets it, so stop sounding like a broken record. Keep the complaints in one place, and that way we can easily follow any feedback from everyone as its all in one place. Any big or major announcements or changes will be in the news and anouncements section, of which is automatically shown on scoobynet's home page.
As I said: how long DOES it take to put a quick response up: no change, or we are still trying.

NOT to do so reinforces everyone's view that they don't know what to do or how to do it

Sorry, bud, I'm apparently not the only one who thinks so.
Old 07 December 2009, 05:44 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I've got AVG on my pc (brothers a serious PC boff) and it affects my PC very little. Scoobynet is hit and miss for me currently. Some mornings of evenings it could take 30+ seconds to load, other times it takes 2-3 seconds to load. Currently about 10-15 seconds.

Definitely something at Scoobynets end as every other site works within about 2-3 seconds
Old 07 December 2009, 08:22 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Working spot now for me Has been for over a week.

Hows that work then that its carp for some yet alright for others?
Old 07 December 2009, 09:37 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

I disagree; Too many clients have dropped in their computers to my office for me to sort out/upgrade so they will run Sage satisfactorarily. Far too many are found to be virus ridden and severly low on system resources (lack of RAM, CPU and page file overworked etc.). Most have AVG, PCguard, Norton or McAfee. None of which I like nor recommend.

In most cases, removing AVG and replacing it for nod32 has improved system's performance, some to the point that they didn't need any hardware upgrading.

In some cases AVG was inoperable anyway due to the system being infected with a virus which prevented AVG from functioning properly. Others had viruses that AVG simply either didn't detect, or couldn't remove, but was found and removed when nod32 or kaspersky was installed (I don't use the latter anymore). I've had the same issues with Norton and PCguard.

Anyhoo, personal opinions and experiences aside, my the point being; Someone complains about poor site speed, yet their computer is most likely being heavily slowed down by the software its running. Ok, it won't fix scoobynet, but I couldn't resist in pointing out that potential irony.

You never know, that crappy AV software maybe allowing computers to act as drones that may DDoS Scoobynet.
I think that's a slightly unfair look on it considering that:
1. The software is configured by the installer. If the person installing it screws that up that's not the fault of the software.
2. AFAIK nod32 is not free - AVG is. If a free bit of software can pick up viruses when 3 major manufacturer paid for pieces of software can't I know which one I'm going to run with.
3. I have a fully paid up version of Mcafee and free AVG. I use AVG on my home machine because it picks up more viruses and spyware AND it doesn't hijack the procesor.
I don't work in tech support mate - I'm been a web dev for the last 12 years and I ATM wouldn't pay for a commercial anti virus because 99% of the time they bring out their antivirus updates just after the virus infects everyone!

AV programs are not primarily designed to prevent repeat TCP/IP / HTTP requests by a process - that's what firewalls are for after all.

So let's face it - it's 95% likely to be a fault on the SN end. D-O-S attacks should be easy to track down and isolate and avoid using simple front end or ISAPI techniques.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 07 December 2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07 December 2009, 09:44 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Oh and one more thing SN - it's currently 21:41 NOT 22:41. So the date on the server's wrong too!!!
Old 07 December 2009, 11:27 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

SN is hit or miss for me. sometimes it speedy and all is good. but sometimes its an absolute dog, pages won't load in less than a minute (if they even do....).

Unfortunately, the times when its running slowly are pretty frequent
Old 08 December 2009, 11:53 AM
renny
Scooby Regular

Yes - still a pain in the ****.

Replying to a thread is a loooonnng painful ordeal!!
Old 12 December 2009, 11:34 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

I've not been on here for few months and could not belkieve how sloooooooooooooooow the site is with pages taking ages to load.

I was going to have a good look around and catch up but it is so slow I'm off elsewhere.

Hope it gets sorted soon but when the site was flogged off this kind of deterioration in service was inevitable as profit now comes first.
Old 13 December 2009, 12:12 AM
ryan33hks
Scooby Regular

Ever since i turned javascript off its been fine Loads nice and fast for me now (touch wood)
Old 13 December 2009, 09:07 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

It's the slowest forum i visit. It's been much faster.
Old 13 December 2009, 12:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yeah, still a total PITA for me.

I did think they were going to make some progress last week, but it's all gone quiet again.

Been well over a month for me now
Old 13 December 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Please post your screenshots on the other topic if your having problems fellas, the more screenshots we get from you the easier we can pinpoint the issues. I know its infuriating for many of you but try and note that the problems have gone for most people and again I must reiterate that these problems are caused by a 3rd party's malicious attacks, NOT IB.

Quick Reply: Two weeks later: IS the site still giving you problems? Vote now.