Sponsored by:

Engine rebuild!!

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2009, 08:50 PM
azwild17
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rebuild!!

Hi i've have a few problems with my 97' wrx jap import so dug deeper to find the problem and have found one problem after another, i'm now down to bare bones of engine literally. unfortunately i'm not loaded so this isn't going to be a big power rebuild but advice on best parts and who to get them from would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know standard head gasket thickness for EJ20.
Old 08 December 2009, 08:54 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well your going to have to replace pretty much everything in there, oil modine etc, if your on a budget then it could take you some time, that engine needs to be cleaned out perfectly if you dont want another problem with it.
Parts will cost you around 1-1.3k unless you go second hand (is it worth it?) so up to you really.....

Tony
Old 08 December 2009, 09:14 PM
azwild17
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah every purchase will be brand new (don't see the point in potential problems from second hand!). i've had the crank and heads mic'd up and they are all still standard size and tolerance, two pistons were knackered so new set of 4 required, conrods are fine so to get block back together i'm thinking ACL bearings, new bottom end seal kit and new pistons, still need to find out what thickness head gasket is best to go for!!? Fortunately my dad has 40 years of mechanical experience but never on a scooby so the basics should be covered, just a case of getting advice from experienced scooby builders to get the finer points right(you can't beat first hand experience!)