Sponsored by:

GB270 with roof vane

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2009, 10:28 PM
gtisid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GB270 with roof vane

I have just recently had a scuff repaired on my pride and joy, i say scuff that resulted in a new door, new front lip and some touching up after some ******* drove or reversed down the side of my car and naturally left no details!!!

Well insurance took care of it (about 1700 quid in all) and why i was at it i purchased a roof vane, which the bodyshop sprayed wr blue. It looks the mutts nuts but the guy didnt want to fit it as he couldnt make up his mind weather to bond it or screw it.when he finally came to the decision to screw it he couldnt bring himself to do it to an immaculate car!! which leaves me with a tasty spoiler that sits in my living room.

I have read a lot of stuff about fitting these and one post that has caused me some concern ( but also sounds like tosh) is the wrx shell different to the sti one? as i am struggling to see how sti shells are adapted in some special way just to make way for the roof vane.

Is there a template available to make drilling the holes fool proof or should i get it bonded. And what sort of stuff can i put around the holes to stop corrosion in the future.?
Old 04 December 2009, 10:35 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Speak to Darren @ autobodyworks Subaru Bodywork about bonding, they do their own but would be able to advise or even fit. Top fella. Thought the car was missing from the drive the last few times I have been passed
Old 05 December 2009, 09:30 AM
gtisid
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that i shall give him a call, i still dont know which car you drive , i see a few go past and have a hunch your in the dark blue wagon,but there is also another guy i know from school days that drives a silver bugeye that i have seen a few times but have yet to talk to him......i am so old now, i dont think he recognizes me!!
Old 05 December 2009, 10:29 AM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Can you find out from Subaru how they fit the OM ones?
Or even ask them to do it (Subaru Dealer).
Old 05 December 2009, 02:34 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

Is it an oe spoiler? if it is then use the built spoiler as the template, align mark and drill for riv-nuts, easy, if its an after market item i'd bond it, i fitted an after market one to mine and drilled/bolted it from inside but the upper section of the 1/4's where the spoiler locates are triple skined and a pain in the **** to align and drill at the correct angle for the bolts.
Old 05 December 2009, 02:40 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gtisid
Thanks for that i shall give him a call, i still dont know which car you drive , i see a few go past and have a hunch your in the dark blue wagon,but there is also another guy i know from school days that drives a silver bugeye that i have seen a few times but have yet to talk to him......i am so old now, i dont think he recognizes me!!
That would be me, apparently my exhaust rattles windows The Spec D sneaks passed
Old 12 January 2012, 01:19 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi mate how did you get on with fitting the spoiler? Just bought one from a hawkeye. It's genuine so needs bolting on but don't know if I want to drill it myself lol

Martin

Trending Topics

Old 12 January 2012, 01:47 PM
gtisid
Scooby Regular

Could not find anyone prepared to drill the body work and remove interior bits so had it bonded
Old 12 January 2012, 01:54 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh ok mate. The genuine one seems to heavey to bond so will have to search a guide and find someone local whos up for drilling. But thanks mate. How does it look? Pics?

Martin