ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

rotated turbos

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2009, 03:07 PM
P555SBR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rotated turbos

is it worth putting a rotated turbo setup on a 2.1 stroker my aim for the car is to be used for sprints and the odd track/drag days but will still be used as a road car
spec will be along the lines of
scooby clinic or engine tuners bottem end in a cdb
sti 5 heads with race internals
3inch turbo back exhust
tubular exhaust maniflod
1000cc injector

hopeing to be somwhere in the 550bhp mark with 20% e85

just dont no weather or not its worth spending the extra cash on rotated setup as there seems to be alot of good turbos out the in direct fit that will hit this traget so are there any other advantages over direct fit that make it worth the extra cash
cheers dave
Old 21 November 2009, 04:36 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a lot of expense and complication but if you are genuinely going for 550 bhp then you are in the power are where it may be worthwhile.
Below that power conventional turbos are more cost effective.
Old 21 November 2009, 06:18 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by P555SBR
is it worth putting a rotated turbo setup on a 2.1 stroker my aim for the car is to be used for sprints and the odd track/drag days but will still be used as a road car
spec will be along the lines of
scooby clinic or engine tuners bottem end in a cdb
sti 5 heads with race internals
3inch turbo back exhust
tubular exhaust maniflod
1000cc injector

hopeing to be somwhere in the 550bhp mark with 20% e85

just dont no weather or not its worth spending the extra cash on rotated setup as there seems to be alot of good turbos out the in direct fit that will hit this traget so are there any other advantages over direct fit that make it worth the extra cash
cheers dave
Seriously, take a look at the S206.
Old 21 November 2009, 06:26 PM
stealthy55
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Seriously, take a look at the S206.
it is doing the business from what ive seen of the results
Old 21 November 2009, 06:28 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Personally i would avoid the rotated and stick to a stock position turbo due to the gain VS cost as i'm sure the S206 or the MD321 series turbos will offer you the 500BHP in the stock position. (Open to correction on these figures Enginetuner & Lateral)

Although if you really want that 550+ then the rotated setup will be the way forward for you.
Old 21 November 2009, 06:56 PM
P555SBR
Scooby Regular

this is why i ask when i first looked into a big power build there was realy one way to go and that was to rotate but like you say the s206 md321 series and sc bilets are all hitting 500+ which is what made me think is it worth the extra cash as i have no ambishions of going any higher than that
Old 23 November 2009, 01:03 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Five or six years ago I was producing 585 bhp from a 2 litre every day road car, with an ION turbo using race fuel simply for the purpose of getting a big dyno number. It was dyno'd several times at different locations to silence the doubters. Things have moved on since then and using road fuel and NF 550 bhp is quite feasable on a conventional turbo but that is about the top limit unless you want to move on to methanol mixes or race fuel which is totally impractical for a daily driver.
So despite the expense, once you want to exceed 550 I do believe you are looking at a rotated turbo.
Old 23 November 2009, 01:16 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

y not try one of scoobyclinic billet turbo's, genuin direct bolt on with no modding required, sure they've crack 570/580 on one of them, might even have been on pump gas
Old 23 November 2009, 01:26 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Cost aside, rotated would be a better bet at that level and future proof for further power hikes.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ter-turbo.html
Old 23 November 2009, 01:40 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

So far the AET standard position / fitment turbo has provided the highest results for pure VPower on a Scoob (with a standard position / fit turbo). Peak power of 529.6bhp was achieved at circa 1.75bar (mine dynoed last week on a Dyno Dynamics RR), which is less boost than *some* others are pushing to make less power. However... this is on a highly spec'd Tracktive 2.5l engine.

I have not tried race fuel / e85 / meth fuel yet..... but I would expect it to smash past 550bhp if I did (famous last words lol).

Turbo / engine ***** waving aside......

Why do you think you need 550bhp for sprints?
Old 23 November 2009, 02:03 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 23 November 2009, 02:34 PM
P555SBR
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE

Why do you think you need 550bhp for sprints?[/QUOTE]

i will be running against cars of alot higher spec than mine and want to be as competative as i can 550bhp is just a figure i would like to be in the region of but its more about the tourqe and how responsive the engine will be than pub talk bhp figures if i can get a good responsive engine with good tourqe at say 500bhp then i would be happy and stay at that
Old 23 November 2009, 02:50 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

can some one explain the benefits of going rotated turbo, getting my car built early next year and need to Decide the benefits vs. cost. planning for 500 + as a weekend car.
Old 23 November 2009, 03:38 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

For a sprint car it is important to get the car setup right and avoid lag as much as possible.

There is a guy over on 22b who had a well setup 400bhp, which cleaned up against bigger powered machines.

Bigger displacement, AVCS heads and a careful choice of turbo might all be worth considering.
Old 23 November 2009, 05:36 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

F1,
Less restriction and size of housing that can be used (i.e. more power available).

P555SBR,
BOB'5 is right to a degree, although power may play a key part dependant on venue.

What kind of venues are you running at? Handling circuits or proper track circuits?
Old 23 November 2009, 07:24 PM
P555SBR
Scooby Regular

im will be entering the nscc and the scooby sprint so they will a mix of handling an track circuits to add more confusion to the mix iv been speaking to a mate who will be building the engine and sugested going down the twin scroll route
Old 23 November 2009, 09:04 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Best to speak to Shaun about ScoobySprint...

...just don't take any 1/4mile advice from him
Old 24 November 2009, 12:09 PM
zakscooby1
Scooby Regular

i could be very wrong here...but isit not true that with a rotated turbo you dont get as much heat to piston number 3 therefore it wont melt???or doesnt it matter if its in normal position aslong you have forged pistons???
Old 24 November 2009, 02:24 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

iirc that cylinder can tend to run lean on OE, but by fitting parrallel fuel rails, decent fuel system and good ecu/map, it would not be an issue.
Old 24 November 2009, 02:38 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by P555SBR
im will be entering the nscc and the scooby sprint so they will a mix of handling an track circuits to add more confusion to the mix iv been speaking to a mate who will be building the engine and sugested going down the twin scroll route
For cost going down the twinscroll route would be the cheaper option dont forget during the sprint championships last year both myself and John Felstead in similar twinscrolls did well against much higher horspower specced cars and on a few of the laps during the championship embarressed a few I would say, but saying that handling/stopping power plays a major part as well.
Old 24 November 2009, 03:44 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

For cost going down the twinscroll route would be the cheaper option
Is that what you actually meant to say???
There is the cost of the turbo, uppipe and headers or an I missing something. Very interested to know as I have little twin scroll experience but can see the advantages.
Old 24 November 2009, 07:06 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Harvey how you doing mate long time no see.
what I was trying to say is that just get a standard twinscroll engine with all ancillarys drop in and go with a remap no need to go internal and yes with a classic engine you would have to go down the turbo/sump/up pipe/headers route which will cost.As you know mine has a hybrid twinscroll fitted in a sprint situation its ideal no lag and pulls cleanly right to the redline.Im still waiting to hear about Ians results with the new twinscroll turbo's that he is/has developed
Old 24 November 2009, 08:48 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

To be fair I think there is more than one way to skin the preverbial cat. Rob North may have a standard Spec C engine, but he uses a single scroll turbo. Of course to make the difference in lowdown torque/response, requires Rob to use a mix of meth and NOS. It also takes an element of skill and confidence to drive well around a tight handling circuit. Would Rob be quicker with a more responsive/torquey 2.5ltr engine.... probably. Would it be worth the expense over what he already has and achieves.... probably not. But.... as in most forms of motorsport, the extra 10ths or fraction of 10ths cost the cash and it all depends on how deep your pockets are and what you really want to achieve.

The argument of twin scroll vs single scroll may of started again with the near release of the Turbo Dynamics / Litchfield Imports offerings. Time will tell on their merits and from a "I already have a twinscroll car", it should be THE way to go for up to 450bhp (on current spec's being offered). However, if you already have a single scroll set-up, logic dictates to stay with that set-up for the time being.

It really is horses for courses... literally. You could really hone a car set-up for specific venues, like ScoobySprint. Based on this years layouts.... the smaller the turbo the better. Simon even said to me that he could of been even quicker in my car, had a smaller blower been on the car. Now my response and torque is far better than Gussy's twin scroll set-up (as you would expect with 2.5ltrs), so it really does make you think. However, open a layout up to longer straights and more bhp/torque starts to play a bigger part.

Andy F was also on a single scroll turbo and he even moved down to a smaller 20g part way through the season, to aid his response.

Maybe the standard position "thing" for this kind of sprinting tells you something.

I know I keep banging on about this, but above all I think people like Rob North have proved what can be acheived with very simple mods, but done right. No one can deny it works and in many respects shows other big cash builds up.

It's all very interesting stuff, but something like this years ScoobySprint has certainly proved you do not need a ***** out racer to be competitive. It has also proved that many different car specs from basic to mental cannot only do the business within their class, but also be competitive against other classes.