opinions on a warranty claim

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2009, 08:52 PM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on a warranty claim

guys

just wondering if any experienced member of the warranty world can give me an opinion.

Took the wheels off (black prodrive) my gb270 wagon today to seal the inners for winter. I noticed on the inside of the spokes - ie the opposite side of fronts that cant be seen - some corrosion under the painted finish. I know over time that this will spread and become visible from the front when the wheels are on. I also noticed on one, some bubbling around the base of the valve where it joins the rim

My question is this - do you think i have a potential warranty claim for a new set of rims or is that wishful thinking?

Many thanks

Matt

Last edited by Off Your Marks; 20 November 2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 20 November 2009, 09:15 PM
C8 DHC 04WRX
Scooby Regular

The wheels on my 2004 wrx started to bubble up a bit on the rear edges of the spokes at about a year old. Mentioned it to the dealer who took a few photos to send to subaru in japan. A few weeks later a fresh set of wheels arrived which they fitted + balanced, all under warranty.
Old 20 November 2009, 09:49 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Provided that you haven't used aggressive cleaners such as Wonder Wheels and you have cleaned the wheels regularly, the wheels should last beyond 2 or 3 years. I got my Prodrive backbox replaced after 2yrs 10months due to some surface corrosion, so what do you have to lose? We buy new cars for a reason I'd say
Old 20 November 2009, 09:59 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

if your still in warranty then get it to a dealer
Old 20 November 2009, 10:05 PM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C8 DHC 04WRX
The wheels on my 2004 wrx started to bubble up a bit on the rear edges of the spokes at about a year old. Mentioned it to the dealer who took a few photos to send to subaru in japan. A few weeks later a fresh set of wheels arrived which they fitted + balanced, all under warranty.
Hmmm, sounds good to me! thanks for that

Originally Posted by s70rjw
Provided that you haven't used aggressive cleaners such as Wonder Wheels and you have cleaned the wheels regularly, the wheels should last beyond 2 or 3 years. I got my Prodrive backbox replaced after 2yrs 10months due to some surface corrosion, so what do you have to lose? We buy new cars for a reason I'd say
wonder wheels? pah, wouldnt touch the stuff - well maybe to clean the driveway no seriously, its awful stuff and as owner of offyourmarks detailing you can probably guess how much care i take of my own car.
The last jap car i had was an evo 9 and the wheels on that lasted 5k miles before corrosion set in.

agree on the new cars comment - having a warrantly on an impreza certainly helps the sleep at night i can tell you

well, thanks again for the input

Best wishes

Matt
Old 20 November 2009, 11:06 PM
aamtheman
Scooby Regular

You will almost certainly get a new set under warranty
Old 21 November 2009, 09:29 AM
M@RKB
Scooby Regular

I've just had a set under warranty for my 07 WRX, slight bubbling around the centre caps. The dealer told me that the UK has the highest number of wheel claims in europe, maybe the crap we salt the roads with.
Old 21 November 2009, 09:49 AM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

there is only 1 wheel where it is noticable with wheels fitted. the other 3 have to be off to see it - do you think this will affect the chances of a replacement?

in my mind, corrosion is corrosion no matter where it is and shouldn't be there. just wonder now that all manufacturers are a little tight at the moment due to sales being slow, that they might send me packing

only one way to find out though...