ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Standard STi Exhaust on WRXS Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2009, 10:55 AM
paulbu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard STi Exhaust on WRXS Hatch

I have the chance of buying a brand new standard STi back box with quad tail pipes at a knock down price. Is this piece of kit more restrictive than the existing WRXS Prodrive exhaust and will fitting it result in a loss of power/ torque ?
Thanks.
Old 18 November 2009, 11:58 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

I'd stick with what you have as I'm sure your PPP box will be less restrictive than a std STI box, not worth messing with a WRXS Prodrive exhaust unless your going for an aftermarket system. I've also got a feeling you'd need to cut a hole out of your diffuser to accomodate the quad pipes.

Out of interest what are you paying for the box as I may know of a better deal if you PM me, and No its not mine as I'm keeping hold of that.

Thanks
Old 18 November 2009, 01:31 PM
paulbu
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply, Arron. A local Subaru dealer has just upgraded a brand new STi hatch to a 330S spec with a performance exhaust. He was willing to let me have the back box with bracket trims and exhaust finishers for £400 + vat.
As a you say, the diffuser would need to be cut, but I've seen a previous identical mod that they did on a standard WRX hatch and it looked very tidy. I'll forget about it if there is no definite performance benefit. Thanks again.
Old 18 November 2009, 02:31 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

No worries, for £400 you are getting close to aftermarket STI exhaust prices which will be way better for performance.

£400 though is a joke, Litchfields are selling them taken off of brand new cars for £99, the exhaust finishers (if the same as STI ones) I think come in at about £125 so way cheaper if you did it yourself. I'd still say stick with your set up though, only worth it if it was just a standard WRX but as you have the PPP already yours will be better.

Other option if part of the reason was for performace/Noise is a Hayward & Scott back box, £299 for a single exit so may replace like for like, here's a link anyway.

Impreza Turbo - '08 onwards - Subaru
Old 18 November 2009, 03:06 PM
paulbu
Scooby Regular

Thanks again Arron
The only problem with fitting non Subaru exhaust components is the warranty issue. The Subaru Sports Muffler has been suggested as an alternative but I can't find an image on the net. Any ideas ?
By the way, noise is not an issue, I quite like the quiet PPP exhaust that I have at the moment.
Old 18 November 2009, 03:44 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Exhausts are so simple to take off if you had a worry you could always pop the PPP box on, I think I can change mine on my own in 15 minutes and no need for ramps, 2 x 13mm (IIRC) bolts and it slides off the hangers. I've always had atleats one non standard exhaust component on the car for services etc and not a word mentioned, If I had an issue though I'd pop the std box on in a flash.

I guess your talking about this one?
SPORTS MUFFLER-STI
Good value IMO but not sure about the design and also by the time you get the finishers would be £400+.

If your wanting OE, they are rare but how about an STI PPP backbox, just got one for mine and now they do look good and should be an improvement over the standard STI box.
Old 18 November 2009, 05:10 PM
paulbu
Scooby Regular

If your wanting OE, they are rare but how about an STI PPP backbox, just got one for mine and now they do look good and should be an improvement over the standard STI box.

I've just had a look at your set up on the 08/09 hatch thread and it does look good. How much are they new ? Any virtually new second hand ones kicking about or is that a silly question ? I prefer the look to the 'Muffler'.
Another silly question for you, What does 'OE' mean ?
Old 18 November 2009, 05:34 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

I was really lucky to get hold of a secondhand STI PPP box that was only 3 months old form a very nice chap on the 08/09 thread who upgraded his PPP system, they are around if you can wait, maybe worth asking the question on the thread, you never know you may have a taker!

I was not keen on the non rolled tailpipes of the muffler myself.

As for OE, stands for original equipment, basically standard parts or look.

Cheers
Arron
Old 18 November 2009, 05:47 PM
paulbu
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the prompt replies, Arron, most helpful.
Old 18 November 2009, 06:37 PM
paulbu
Scooby Regular

I was really lucky to get hold of a secondhand STI PPP box that was only 3 months old form a very nice chap on the 08/09 thread who upgraded his PPP system, they are around if you can wait, maybe worth asking the question on the thread, you never know you may have a taker!

Any idea how much would I be looking at approx, Arron ?
How much did you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking ?
Old 18 November 2009, 08:21 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

I'll pop you a pm.
Old 24 November 2009, 11:13 PM
wigsworld
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arronb
No worries, for £400 you are getting close to aftermarket STI exhaust prices which will be way better for performance.

£400 though is a joke, Litchfields are selling them taken off of brand new cars for £99, the exhaust finishers (if the same as STI ones) I think come in at about £125 so way cheaper if you did it yourself. I'd still say stick with your set up though, only worth it if it was just a standard WRX but as you have the PPP already yours will be better.

Other option if part of the reason was for performace/Noise is a Hayward & Scott back box, £299 for a single exit so may replace like for like, here's a link anyway.

Impreza Turbo - '08 onwards - Subaru
I was thinking of buying the hayward and scott exhaust actually, fancy a bit more burble. Are they good exhausts?
Old 24 November 2009, 11:19 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

excellent exhausts the hayward and scott, been running a full de-catted system on mine for well over a year now and it sounds awesome
Old 26 November 2009, 09:59 PM
wigsworld
Scooby Regular

Are afterburner exhausts made by hayward and scott?
Old 27 November 2009, 02:10 AM
scoobyride
Scooby Regular

Default H&S

yes afterburner vortex is made by H&S and have 2 say running a full decat system from them and the sound