Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone sort this FUNKING website out, once and for all, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2009, 10:44 PM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone sort this FUNKING website out, once and for all, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been a member of Scoobynet since early 2003, it's gone from being fairly slow, to bl00dy slow, and now it's so flipping slow the hamster has obviously died and needs replacing!!!!!!!

What the hell is going on?!?!?!?!?!?

The more cr4p that gets stuck on this website/forum, the slower and slower it gets!!! Do we really need all this rubbish??? It used to work pretty well when Shaun was in charge, now all we get is adverts, pictures, adverts, crap, adverts, stuff we don't need, adverts, stuff we don't want, adverts etc....

Instead of trying to make as much money as is humanly possible by advertising everything on the planet and sticking more crap on here than the server can take, why can't we just have a forum for Subaru enthusiasts and the like?!?!?!?!?

................oh hold on, thats what SCOOBYNET would actually stand for, and we can't have that can we!!!!!!!!!!

Take the crap off this bl00dy site, make a few less pennies, and put it back to when it actually worked!!!!!!!! Either that or leave it as it is and loose 99% of people on this forum, thus making no money what-so-ever, whilst a different Scooby site is made by us and we all use that one instead (until 'you lot' take over again and ruin that one too!!!)

Regards,

One Pi55ed off, and fed up, paying Subaru enthusiast
Old 13 November 2009, 11:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Take a chill pill; Its only the internet!

Internet Brands are experiencing network problems. They have worked through the night and the issues are proving hard to trace. Please bear with them while they resolve the problem.

This is not isolated to SN, many (if anot all) of IB's websites are suffering the same issues.
Old 14 November 2009, 12:25 AM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not just me then - haven't been able do anything meaningful here for 36 hours
Old 14 November 2009, 01:28 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Same here.... it's deffo the net...
Old 14 November 2009, 01:34 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Internet Brands are experiencing network problems. They have worked through the night and the issues are proving hard to trace. Please bear with them while they resolve the problem.

This is not isolated to SN, many (if anot all) of IB's websites are suffering the same issues.

To be totally honest Ali, KQ is bang on the money and has said what many of us are thinking. I don't give a toss about the adverts, They are all advertising American companies that sell things in Dollars. Completely irrellevent. All I and the majority of others want is a working site that's based on the Subaru. This site is trully appauling with all the additional processes involved with viewing any page on here since IB took over.

Fact of the matter is if IB dont provide what this site was created for everyone is going to get sick of waiting and simply stop using it and then the site is worth f*ck all.

Regardless of problems IB are having the site has been dreadfully slow since they took over.

Having worked for a company that hosts High volume, high revenue websites I fully understand what a serious **** up this is. It's an embarrassment to IB that this hasn't just happened on one of their sites but all of them. I cannot believe there has been no contingency plans in place and no DR solutions in place.

Quite frankly it it's a **** up that makes IB look like a proper shower of sh*t cowboy outfit.

Sort it out for crying out loud
Old 14 November 2009, 01:47 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

maybe all the talk of restrictor pills and PPP's broke it?

Maybe IB lost their restrictor pill
OR
Maybe theyre putting a PPP on

Old 14 November 2009, 03:18 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers Daz, shoot the messenger why don't you?

Next time I won't bother posting anything and I'll let you all moan between yourselves!
Old 14 November 2009, 03:18 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Next time I won't bother posting anything and I'll let you all moan between yourselves!
Old 14 November 2009, 04:34 AM
Will
BANNED

Wow you managed to post that twice while us lot struggle to post once!!
Old 14 November 2009, 10:33 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Sorry Ali, but you're wrong - you're a moderator FOR IB/Scoobynet. Therefore, imho, you're the one (and other moderators) who gets it in the neck from the paying customers first. Then Stu @ IB.

Personally, I don't pay - don't have a Scooby any more, but enjoy coming on the site.

I found it a welcome change for it to be down - got some work done!!!
Old 14 November 2009, 10:35 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paying to advertise on a site that few are currently able to use

Not amusing
Simon
Old 14 November 2009, 10:47 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_impreza
Wow you managed to post that twice while us lot struggle to post once!!
AFPMSL!!!
Old 14 November 2009, 01:22 PM
burns
Scooby Regular

What slow down ?
I always have to wait 10 + seconds for every page to load
Old 14 November 2009, 01:23 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Sorry Ali, but you're wrong - you're a moderator FOR IB/Scoobynet. Therefore, imho, you're the one (and other moderators) who gets it in the neck from the paying customers first. Then Stu @ IB.

Personally, I don't pay - don't have a Scooby any more, but enjoy coming on the site.

I found it a welcome change for it to be down - got some work done!!!
No: I think your wrong, IMO:

I'm a volunteer

I don't get paid to do this.

I have no direct or indirect contact with IB staff; So I do not represent them. Remember, this current issue is nothing to do with SN itself; its a global IB problem.

All I am is a user with a few extra options in the drop down boxes and an extra forum, the view of the forum in my browser is exactly like that of a normal user. I don't see raining pixels like the matrix.

I have zero control of any technical issues of SN and IB; I am a moderator. NOT an administrator. So there is little point in complaining to me over something I cannot fix. Especially when all I'm doing is relaying on a message to keep you all out of the dark.

I am in fact a representative of the users (seeing I am one myself), and whilst I may voice my concerns on your behalf, I do it out of pure goodwill (remember I volunteer to do this).

Furthermore, what method and manner of complaint is going to get any issues properly addressed? A tin pot rant in the wrong section, with an aggressive, abusive tone and language, with exaggerated non-factual claims, jumping to conclusions, showing little understanding of the problems in hand and seeking to blame and direct anger to anyone who has the remotest involvement, despite them having no control over any of it. OR, a level headed civil complaint, addressed to the correct people, that is factual, respectful, polite and understanding, whilst still being assertive in driving through the key points?

I know if I was Bob Brisco (or was in a CEO/managerial role of any other company ), I know what form of complaint I would be more likely to listen to and address, and which one I'd throw in the bin: Respect goes along way. Ranting will quickly undermine and destroy any respect someone may have for the complainant, and make people who do have the control and ability to help less likely to listen and take them seriously.

I bet some people have just read and thought “who is Bob Brisco?” well, if you want to complain about IB, at least make the effort to know your enemy!

(PS: Note that I made a proper personal reply to you because your post was constructed in a civil manner – sadly, it still won't fix things though ).
Old 14 November 2009, 01:25 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Old 14 November 2009, 02:04 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Fair play Ali,

And thank you for reading and replying to my post with the civility that was intended

I wholly appreciate that all the Mods do the job on a volunteer basis, and I thank you (all) for the efforts you put in, for what is usually a thankless task

I also appreciate that you are not employed by either IB nor Scoobynet.

BUT, imho, you Mods are "our" first port of call when there's something wrong. I would genuinely be interested to know who the Mods "complain" (for want of a better word). Is it Stu?

This is by no means an attack on the Moderation of the board (no doubt the usual suspects will take up that task! )

My guess is that we will have to agree to disagree - and I'm fine with that

DAn

ps I'm not condoning the manner in which the OP's frustrations were aired, although there are a lot of other people who would not have pulled the punches as much.
I can also appreciate that as a paying customer, the site speed has been compromised recently. Something that IF I was a paying customer, I would want addressed.

As stated though, I'm not a paying customer anymore (I was), so it's not as big a concern to me as others

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 14 November 2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: the PS
Old 14 November 2009, 02:29 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the first time i've even been able to get onto Scoobynet for the last 2 days. IE kept on timing out even trying to find the site. NEVER been this bad before
Old 14 November 2009, 02:43 PM
pikeywrx
Scooby Regular

Thought it was just my pc being crap as it kept re routing me to google. feel bad for kicking it now.
Old 14 November 2009, 02:53 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Ditto. It's not been like this ever & I joined back in 03 Seems to be sorted now though

TX.

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
This is the first time i've even been able to get onto Scoobynet for the last 2 days. IE kept on timing out even trying to find the site. NEVER been this bad before
Old 14 November 2009, 02:54 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i cant actually see this as snet doesnt work
Old 14 November 2009, 03:33 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by M444GY
i cant actually see this as snet doesnt work
Who said that ?

dunx

P.S. I've sent "Bob" a few bob for the meter....
Old 14 November 2009, 03:40 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Fair play Ali,

BUT, imho, you Mods are "our" first port of call when there's something wrong. I would genuinely be interested to know who the Mods "complain" (for want of a better word). Is it Stu?

This is by no means an attack on the Moderation of the board (no doubt the usual suspects will take up that task! )

My guess is that we will have to agree to disagree - and I'm fine with that

DAn
Cheers Dan,

I think sometime people forget its also mods that have been denied the use of SN because of the faults IB are having. Its frustrating and annoying, but not the end of the world.

Sure people can complain to mods on technical issues, but all I will be doing on the matter is passing on a message, and yes that would be to Stu, who also isn't at fault in this case, so there's little point in getting angry at him either.

Ruffling feathers isn't the way to get things done nor putting every gripe into one single non-structured ranting when a serious short term fault rears its head. For example adverts - which has nothing to to with the current issue; The site will have still been knackered with them turned off. Adverts are a separate issue, as such it needs to be addressed separately. Same with long term site speed/lag issues (which I don't suffer from, so struggle to appreciate - even with the adverts turned on), which is a separate issue to severe short term faults like the one we've had this week.

If Stu is going to have any chance of getting IB to sort anything, then he needs to hear it in a detailed, factual, yet concise manner (with any relevant info like logs/firebug info, ISP info, screen grabs, browser, firewall/AV software): Help him to help us.

It also needs strength in numbers, because one person complains it doesn't automatically mean everyone else can leave them to it; IB won't respond to one user with an issue, but they might sit up and notice if several hundred complain with the same problems (although try and do it in one place - like in Bugs and features or policy ).

I am in no way defending IB, but on the same level will defend myself from anything directed to myself, as I can and will take it personally. I'm not happy about the recent outage and the time took. Personally I would like IB to publish announcements (on their own website if it suits) of what exactly was wrong so at least we may have an idea and better appreciation of problems they have encountered.

Lets hope its sorted now....

AL

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 November 2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 14 November 2009, 04:11 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Wink

I'm a volunteer

You should be getting paid! Come work here for nothing if you want
Old 14 November 2009, 04:21 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

If they cared about their customers (paying members and paying advertisers), they would have dual redundant networks and clustered servers for fault tolerance. This type of technology has dropped in price a lot over the past few years and there's no excuse.

I hope they refund all the paying advertisers a proportion of their fees.

Anders
Old 14 November 2009, 06:28 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits

Ali, you (and the other mods) are the 'face' of IB, the global outfit that see fit to fill this and their other sites full of revenue making ads *cant blame them for it, its business* but its not about that, its a site created FOR enthusiasts, BY enthusiasts, not about the Benjamins (American terminology, they'll understand ) so its YOU (and/or the other mods) we see fit to whelp at.. if you dont like that, hey, step off.. .its part of the remit of being a moderator (yes, I do have first hand knowledge of this ) The mods (and I guess Mr. Ster) have done a proper job earlier in the week with 'StalkerGate'.. so I think anyone will realise that on the whole you guys do your best with at times (VERY) limited resourses, but EVERYONE must admit that this site has its frailties, the major one being the speed, or lack of , of loading.. thank the stars I dont own a scoob, as I can get my 'fix' of car related stuff elsewhere if I have a problem /whatever with my car but on the whole this setback is just another nail in the coffin of what was once a vibrant site.

Just my take, so to coin a phrase, Dont shoot the Messenger

* Oh ,and Splicer, I think THIS one now beats my previous long post

Last edited by Dan Gleebits; 14 November 2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 14 November 2009, 06:48 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a volunteer
I have no direct or indirect contact with IB staff; So I do not represent them. Remember, this current issue is nothing to do with SN itself; its a global IB problem.
So how you know what the problem is in post #2

If you don't want to be in the firing line then keep under cover and let the clawed one take the flak.
Old 14 November 2009, 06:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Well it's NOT fixed, not for me anyway.
Old 14 November 2009, 06:58 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Butty
So how you know what the problem is in post #2

If you don't want to be in the firing line then keep under cover and let the clawed one take the flak.
Got it off Stu's announcement on PassionFord (when I finally managed to get in ). I assume he was unable to do it on here because of the server time outs.

Plus the fact every IB website was down (including their own) made it fairly obvious it was a big problem outside of SN's control (If the site is running wonky and before I have a whinge to Stu; I check the performance of other IB website to see if its a bigger issue or just isolated, IIRC PassionFord is on the same server ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 November 2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 14 November 2009, 07:12 PM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

Sames as , been trying to get on here for days to update and contact customers , doesn't look good when I don't reply to them ..

Decided to open a facebook page instead
Old 15 November 2009, 09:10 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

thought this was sorted as i came on last night and everthing seemed ok.have come on this morning and its taking around 1 minute to visit another page.

Quick Reply: Someone sort this FUNKING website out, once and for all, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!