Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone enjoy driving theirs more in the wet?

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2009, 12:18 AM
Speccy D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone enjoy driving theirs more in the wet?

I have only had my PPPd Sti for 2 weeks but I am absolutely loving it. In fact I find myself secretly hoping for a bit of drizzle on the roundabouts to watch those poor BMW drivers struggle for grip. Anyone else find this the case. The car has simply unbelievable traction out of corners in 2nd gear.

I took my friend out in it yesterday and he's already working out which non vital organs can be sold to finance one for himself.
Old 13 November 2009, 12:37 AM
Ste98Turbo
Scooby Regular

A word to the wise, take it easy in the wet fella, these cars dont handle that great and it doesnt take alot to get the back end out in the wet and the snap back can be brutal depending how fast your going.

Only the other month a lad lost he's car in the wet and ended up under a truck killing himself and toddler in the back

Dont be fooled by the cars grip because when it loses traction it handles poorly.

Last edited by Ste98Turbo; 13 November 2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old 13 November 2009, 01:04 AM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

i was out in a clio 172 cup today and got caught out on a roundabout in the wet, i ended up facing the wrong way. lucky the car behind was going very slow so had plenty of time to stop
Old 13 November 2009, 10:20 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Dont be fooled by the cars grip because when it loses traction it handles poorly.
Doesn't every car

If you have got good tyres, fresh shocks, good settings and no silly anti roll bar mods then they are as good as anything in the wet. The Clio 172/182 brigade will even admit they are are better in the wet. Once had to go round a roudabout TWICE waiting for a 182 to catch up after a wet cross country dash, much to the amusement of his passenger PMSL

Slow in, FAST out. Watch the understeer and have fun. Think about what you are doing, how it may affect others if you get it wrong, and what the plod may think.....

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 13 November 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 13 November 2009, 03:24 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
Doesn't every car
No not at all. The Impreza tends to snap quite quickly due to the grip levels. Grip has nothing to do with handling, handling is how the car responds once grip is lost, a skyline for example has excellent handling, they tend to slide very progressively, BMWs used to have a reputation for being snappy and I know the Honda S2000 has been criticized for that.

Don't confuse handling and grip

Last edited by Paulo P; 13 November 2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 13 November 2009, 10:13 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

i find the impreza classic very easy to power slide and control it. small smooth corrections and pile on the power. just whatever you do dont ease off that is when you get the snap that every1 is all about and its fun fun fun
Old 14 November 2009, 12:10 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

So a car is only handling once it has lost grip. errr, run that by me again?

So what was it doing before it lost grip?

Old 14 November 2009, 02:55 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

4 wheel skids all day long

skid racer style
Old 14 November 2009, 04:06 PM
zedhed
Scooby Regular

Now then lets not get sidetracked here they handle as good as the driver can control the power grip level at any given time to the condition at that time, its all about not getting AMBITION and ABILITY mixed up and getting pulled in to silly races if you cant cut it trying to keep up but thats just my opinon and no doubt it will p*** some of you off.
Old 14 November 2009, 04:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Depends on the tyres IMO.

The factory Bridgestones left alot to be desired (understeer heaven)
The avon ZZ3s I had on replacement wheels (wheel/tyre combo) were hedge finders
The Yokos were not too brilliant at this time of year (predicatble break-away and awesome in the dry though) .

Michelins - wooooo. Thats better.

Just done the same with our BMW 530 gone from Dunlop SP9000 to Michelin Pilots Sport and wet traction is massively improved.

Unfortunately, my Golf is shod with P-zero Rossos, thankfully its AWD, so at least it can make a rapid getway from busy wet junctions without spinning the front wheels like a demented gibbon was driving. Going to replace them with Michelins ASAP (anyone want to buy a pair of part worn 225/40/18 Rossos? ).

Our works van has Nankang NS-1s and its evil bording on lethal at this time of year, despite it only having 70bhp and a 16 second 0-60 Driving it in the wet is not an enjoyable experience.

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 November 2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 14 November 2009, 06:35 PM
gus sti8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Depends on the tyres IMO.

The factory Bridgestones left alot to be desired (understeer heaven)
The avon ZZ3s I had on replacement wheels (wheel/tyre combo) were hedge finders
The Yokos were not too brilliant at this time of year (predicatble break-away and awesome in the dry though) .

Just done the same with our BMW 530 gone from Dunlop SP9000 to Michelin Pilots Sport and wet traction is massively improved.

Unfortunately, my Golf is shod with P-zero Rossos, thankfully its AWD, so at least it can make a rapid getway from busy wet junctions without spinning the front wheels like a demented gibbon was driving. Going to replace them with Michelins ASAP (anyone want to buy a pair of part worn 225/40/18 Rossos? ).

Our works van has Nankang NS-1s and its evil bording on lethal at this time of year, despite it only having 70bhp and a 16 second 0-60 Driving it in the wet is not an enjoyable experience.
a man with sense my blob eye sti has michelin pilot sports on and is excellent in the wet/damp barely moves an inch which i am annoyed at as there is no fun to be had
Old 14 November 2009, 08:56 PM
zayd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Before I got my newage WRX I had a BMW 530 Sport for 4 years. I used to swear by Michelin Pilot Sports and had the first and second editions. They did handle extremely well but for the next tyre change, I put on Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's and they were identical in handling and performance. The added advantage being, that they lasted a lot longer than the Michelins. Try them and you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by zayd; 14 November 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 14 November 2009, 09:55 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by zayd
Before I got my newage WRX I had a BMW 530 Sport for 4 years. I used to swear by Michelin Pilot Sports and had the first and second editions. They did handle extremely well but for the next tyre change, I put on Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's and they were identical in handling and performance. The added advantage being, that they lasted a lot longer than the Michelins. Try them and you won't be disappointed.
2 of my Imprezas have come with the RE050A as standard from new. They are not particularly suited to the Impreza...Goodyear F1, RE040, are far better, in the wet. What works on a RWD BMW does not necessarily work on an Impreza. Long lasting tyres are one thing....I would rather have grip
Old 15 November 2009, 01:52 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Long lasting tyres are one thing....I would rather have grip
So you don't want your car to "handle" then

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 15 November 2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 24 November 2009, 06:12 PM
zayd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
2 of my Imprezas have come with the RE050A as standard from new. They are not particularly suited to the Impreza...Goodyear F1, RE040, are far better, in the wet. What works on a RWD BMW does not necessarily work on an Impreza. Long lasting tyres are one thing....I would rather have grip
This advice was directed at the guy's BMW not his Subaru!