Sponsored by:

STI ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2009, 03:07 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI ADVICE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi im thinking of upgrading to either a v4,v5 or v6 jdm sti wagon,what are the differences between them? which is the best for safe power gains to 400bhp?what sort of prices would i be looking to pay for one with around 50,000 miles etc?where would i find one? etc etc etc,any advice on this would be a great help,thanks, oh and also what are the advantages over the current uk spec 99 which i already have running 300/300. thanks.
Old 01 November 2009, 04:25 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

You will struggle like hell to find a decent example, I'm constantly looking. I have an MY00 sonic wagon but it's EU model (same as UK) and I'm yet to have come accross something nice enough to buy and I've been looking for ages.

There seems to be very few V5 STI wagons for sale ever and I've hardly seen any V6's at all over the years.

If you want 400bhp though you'd be better off looking for an even rarer beast a V7 STI JDM wagon. That'd do 400bhp with a few bolt ons (turbo, exhaust, pump, fpr, etc) and a remap.

Last edited by jameswrx; 01 November 2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01 November 2009, 05:06 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

not really feeling the v7 mate,do u know what is so much better with the sti rather than the uk.?
Old 01 November 2009, 05:27 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

lots of things really, engine, turbo, interior, suspension etc.
Old 01 November 2009, 05:29 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
lots of things really, engine, turbo, interior, suspension etc.
would u know if there are many differences between v3,v4,v5?
Old 01 November 2009, 05:49 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Yes, again lots of little differences.

Stick with looking for a v5/6 (as you have a 99 or effectively v5 car)

The V3/4 has the older bumper style and non-crystal headlights, the v3 has the old dash, they all ahve different patterned seats.

They are all also different regarding engine and suspension etc too.
Old 01 November 2009, 05:55 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Yes, again lots of little differences.

Stick with looking for a v5/6 (as you have a 99 or effectively v5 car)

The V3/4 has the older bumper style and non-crystal headlights, the v3 has the old dash, they all ahve different patterned seats.

They are all also different regarding engine and suspension etc too.
is the v5 a better car then?
Old 01 November 2009, 06:06 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Why not just mod your existing car a little more?
Old 01 November 2009, 06:12 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Why not just mod your existing car a little more?
lol,thats a great question,one i keep asking myself but i keep thinking about gearbox etc,and i do have a very small amount of rust occuring,so i thought is there any point in spending when i could just buy an sti????? im led to believe i can only do 350bhp on my gearbox,and how would i mod more?ive already got vf35 etc.would it cost too much to mod mine more? does it justify the cost as regards buying an sti???i really dont know.
Old 01 November 2009, 06:16 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
is the v5 a better car then?
In my opinion, yes! Obviously as the years go by the cars develop into better variants. The last of the classics are great cars IMO, mine is a year 2000 (v6) and last variant of the classic and it's the best of all the classics I've owned and I'm sure it's not just coincidence that it's the latest design.

Most v4's for example piston slap from cold which annoys me.
Old 01 November 2009, 06:22 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
lol,thats a great question,one i keep asking myself but i keep thinking about gearbox etc,and i do have a very small amount of rust occuring,so i thought is there any point in spending when i could just buy an sti????? im led to believe i can only do 350bhp on my gearbox,and how would i mod more?ive already got vf35 etc.would it cost too much to mod mine more? does it justify the cost as regards buying an sti???i really dont know.

Pretty much the same boat as me but an STI isn't rust proof!!

Also, you're not going to get more than 350bhp out of an STI without as much work as your car IMO. You'll still need to change the turbo, intercooler, remap, etc etc

Is the VF35 fitted to your car?

I have a FE TD05-16G sitting here which I've been pondering over fitting for ages but I keep holding out for an STI wagon.

It's not about the engine on a classic STI wagon for me, it's more about having nicer looking seats, air-con, better suspension, better looking heater controls and a slightly nicer outside appearance. Plus the rareity of it.

I'd buy a JDM bugeye STI wagon in a heart beat though as they will do some good power with a few bolt-ons and they have a 6 speed box which is a lot stronger.
Old 01 November 2009, 06:23 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

sti 5 wagon or mod mine more?????? lol.
Old 01 November 2009, 06:25 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Pretty much the same boat as me but an STI isn't rust proof!!

Also, you're not going to get more than 350bhp out of an STI without as much work as your car IMO. You'll still need to change the turbo, intercooler, remap, etc etc

Is the VF35 fitted to your car?

I have a FE TD05-16G sitting here which I've been pondering over fitting for ages but I keep holding out for an STI wagon.

It's not about the engine on a classic STI wagon for me, it's more about having nicer looking seats, air-con, better suspension, better looking heater controls and a slightly nicer outside appearance. Plus the rareity of it.

I'd buy a JDM bugeye STI wagon in a heart beat though as they will do some good power with a few bolt-ons and they have a 6 speed box which is a lot stronger.
yeah the vf35 if fitted and mapped and i agree with the reasons of getting an sti,all the reasons u mentioned is what i feel im missing,
Old 01 November 2009, 06:27 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

dont think the misses likes the bugeye.lol
Old 01 November 2009, 06:34 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Well if I see a nice V5 or V6 STI wagon I won't be letting you know lol

I did get offered one a while back but it was too high on the mileage for me. That's my other worry, my car is so genuine and pretty rare anyway in sonic blue and it's only done 75k from new. A lot of imports have bollox mileage IMO, I've sen ones wit supposedly a lot less miles than mine and they look in terrible condition.. worn steering wheels, gear ****, tired interior in general and nasty engine bays. Finding one is tricky enough, but finding a genuinely nice example is a whole new ball game.

The only way I reckon you'd get something decent is to speak to somene like Newera who could possibly source one on Japan and get it shipped over but the exchange rate isn't great for us at the moment I don't think.
Old 01 November 2009, 06:40 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Well if I see a nice V5 or V6 STI wagon I won't be letting you know lol

I did get offered one a while back but it was too high on the mileage for me. That's my other worry, my car is so genuine and pretty rare anyway in sonic blue and it's only done 75k from new. A lot of imports have bollox mileage IMO, I've sen ones wit supposedly a lot less miles than mine and they look in terrible condition.. worn steering wheels, gear ****, tired interior in general and nasty engine bays. Finding one is tricky enough, but finding a genuinely nice example is a whole new ball game.

The only way I reckon you'd get something decent is to speak to somene like Newera who could possibly source one on Japan and get it shipped over but the exchange rate isn't great for us at the moment I don't think.
not sure what to do mate,thanks for the help.
Old 01 November 2009, 07:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You understand that it will cost you the same to mod a JDM STI wagon as it will do your UK car to 400bhp? both will require the same upgrades to ensure reliability (pistons/rods/crank/bearings/clutch/gearbox/brakes/fmic etc) and the cost really does outweigh the effort of going to buy another classic when as said, a new age (and rare) STI wagon will cost you less for more BHP/Torque, you just have to find one

Tony
Old 01 November 2009, 07:58 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
You understand that it will cost you the same to mod a JDM STI wagon as it will do your UK car to 400bhp? both will require the same upgrades to ensure reliability (pistons/rods/crank/bearings/clutch/gearbox/brakes/fmic etc) and the cost really does outweigh the effort of going to buy another classic when as said, a new age (and rare) STI wagon will cost you less for more BHP/Torque, you just have to find one

Tony
hummmm,i spose the v7 sti saloon or wagon could grow on me,anyone got the specs of this car? any info on the jdm v7 sti or uk would be a help,is the jdm better? prices etc?
Old 01 November 2009, 08:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

They share the same engine but the JDM car has more goodies as standard pretty easy to get the car to 400+bhp and the clutch/brakes (though a pad change is recommended) and gearbox are more than good enough to take that level of power (unlike the classics which struggle @215bhp).

Tony
Old 01 November 2009, 08:08 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

They share the same engine but the JDM car has more goodies as standard pretty easy to get the car to 400+bhp and the clutch/brakes (though a pad change is recommended) and gearbox are more than good enough to take that level of power (unlike the classics which struggle @215bhp).

Tony
so what is the power etc spec on a jdm sti7 mate?performance?
Old 01 November 2009, 08:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Spec is 276bhp (280ps) 275lbs of torque off the top of my head, performance is on par with the older classic STI's.

Tony
Old 01 November 2009, 08:28 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Spec is 276bhp (280ps) 275lbs of torque off the top of my head, performance is on par with the older classic STI's.

Tony
i may regret getting rid of my wagon,whats the standard my99 gearbox capable of?how easy would it be to go further than 300/300?and most importantly how expensive lol?
Old 01 November 2009, 08:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The standard gearbox isnt exactly brill, probbaly good for 20 or so more lbs of torque, some last longer than others, some go with less than 300lbs of torque going through the box (its the torque that kills the boxes, not the bhp), plus you will need a new clutch, then start thinking of how well the rods are going to hold up (chocolate rods on classics, 350 is classed as the max safe and even then the still break), plus the subaru 4 pots really suck (even with pads/discs/braided hoses).

Tony
Old 01 November 2009, 08:55 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

The standard gearbox isnt exactly brill, probbaly good for 20 or so more lbs of torque, some last longer than others, some go with less than 300lbs of torque going through the box (its the torque that kills the boxes, not the bhp), plus you will need a new clutch, then start thinking of how well the rods are going to hold up (chocolate rods on classics, 350 is classed as the max safe and even then the still break), plus the subaru 4 pots really suck (even with pads/discs/braided hoses).

Tony
ok,my car has done 143k but had a new complete bottom end from subaru at 109k,the gear box is still fine at mo and ive had a new clutch,the car is mechanicallly perfect but need more power,im running 300/300 on a vf35 with sports cat etc etc on standard 440 injectors.what are my sensible options without wasting money or spending a fortune? i have a couple spots of surface rust which i know will cost me a litttle to get sorted.should i keep or should it go now before i spend? ideally i would like faster acceleration.
Old 01 November 2009, 09:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The new age is a far more composed car at speed over the classic, my classic cost me about 700 quid to sort out the rust, something that isnt a real problem on the new age cars, so you are pretty much at the top end of your engine's reliability, your clutch will struggle at those levels, new or not and the more torque you put through your gearbox the less reliable it will become, a full PPG build is 2.5-3k, even the "hardened" cog sets wont be enough in reallity if your going to rebuild the box as they are only slightly stronger, a full 6 speed 2nd hand box is around the 2.5k and is stronger than the PPG box, so you see its a little more expensive to push a classic up there.

Tony
Old 01 November 2009, 09:05 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

The new age is a far more composed car at speed over the classic, my classic cost me about 700 quid to sort out the rust, something that isnt a real problem on the new age cars, so you are pretty much at the top end of your engine's reliability, your clutch will struggle at those levels, new or not and the more torque you put through your gearbox the less reliable it will become, a full PPG build is 2.5-3k, even the "hardened" cog sets wont be enough in reallity if your going to rebuild the box as they are only slightly stronger, a full 6 speed 2nd hand box is around the 2.5k and is stronger than the PPG box, so you see its a little more expensive to push a classic up there.

Tony
so if i were to go new age,which one would be the best to mod as in expense etc?uk or jdm? sti or not?
Old 01 November 2009, 09:09 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

JDM would be my choice you would need it mapping for uk fuel but it does have more extra's on it and to get to 400bhp it would cost about 3k all in (turbo, injectors, remap etc).

Tony
Old 01 November 2009, 09:12 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

JDM would be my choice you would need it mapping for uk fuel but it does have more extra's on it and to get to 400bhp it would cost about 3k all in (turbo, injectors, remap etc).

Tony
jdm wrx or jdm sti?
Old 01 November 2009, 09:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

JDM STI, the wrx's are similar to the uk ones engine wise, which are similar to the classic's engine wise, so the semi closed deck block of the STI with its uprated rods/pistons etc are a better starting point.
With a bit of shopping you should be able to get a decent 2001/2 JDM STI for around the 6k mark with decent mileage on

Tony
Old 01 November 2009, 09:26 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

JDM STI, the wrx's are similar to the uk ones engine wise, which are similar to the classic's engine wise, so the semi closed deck block of the STI with its uprated rods/pistons etc are a better starting point.
With a bit of shopping you should be able to get a decent 2001/2 JDM STI for around the 6k mark with decent mileage on

Tony
thanks alot mate.

Quick Reply: STI ADVICE