Sponsored by:

Newbie asking advice on buying 1st scooby

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2009, 11:49 PM
Marts WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie asking advice on buying 1st scooby

Today I went to go and buy a '95 WRX Import as seen on ebay and Pistonheads. I was lead to believe the car was mint, even after numerous conversations with the owner I was still lead to believe that.

Went to see it today and it had 3 bald tyres (one nearly showing thread!) the rocker gasket was dripping oil and looked like it had been for ages, a gaiter was in 2 pieces, front seat bolsters were in a real bad state..... either way, it werent worth the 2,400 being asked of it, and is still with the owner.

I was just wondering if any of you know of any coming up for sale (same kind of year bracket) within the £2k - £3k price range? The reason I ask is because OwnerClub members generally look after their cars!

If any of you could help me out, please reply to this.

Looking for a 92-00 classic, STi spoiler or 'evo type' spoiler (sorry, dont know real name) and preferably with front splitter, spats, skirts body coloured. Colour preference white or silver. Sounds fussy I know, sorry.

Im in Shropshire area too, but not afraid to travel for the right car

Thanks
Old 31 October 2009, 12:57 AM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

I'd keep an eye out on here, occasionally I have seen good Subarus for sale on here. I know what it's like with the car hunting especially since the internet came along & made it even easyier to look at more cars. I saw loads that had multiple photos and looked great but then when I went to visit the car there was just so much wrong that the camera pictures didn't show. Pictures do lie....and so do sellers Goodluck with the search
Don't know if this will be any use to you but heres a buyers guide;
Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | BuyingGuides / Impreza Buying Guide
Old 31 October 2009, 01:04 AM
Marts WRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate
Im glad that we spotted the bad stuff with this car... just feel sorry for the poor person that doesnt!

I'll keep my eye out on here as I have just looked thru the for sale section and seen some nice Classic examples. Loving the Mica Blue one... just a little out of my price range at the mo tho (typical!)
Old 31 October 2009, 01:20 AM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

It took me a while before I finally found a Subaru that I thought was good enough for the money and let me be honest when I tell you it probably wasn't . So far in a little over a year and a half it's had a full engine re-build, various expensive parts replaced and a fully re-built gearbox! Thats not including the things I've done to it for performance or looks. It's hard sometimes but its the car I've always wanted so I'm not giving up on it....maybe I should have given up when the engine went just 3 months into ownership but I thought no because of how good the bodywork was on my classic. It's a never ending road when you get into Subaru ownership and it's sometimes....*ponders*....shall we say bumpy . Wish you all the best with your search. If you ever need a top engine builder who isn't that far from you really this is it in my opinion;
API Engines

Highly rated by lot's of owners and have done lot's on my car plus the re-build so I rate them highly. (Hope you never need them though unless ofcourse your after more power or a service possibly )