Sponsored by:

help with gear knob

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2009, 08:15 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with gear ****

need some help with my classic imprezsa when i bought it i had the original gaitor on the gearstick but the screw hole parts are damaged so i need a new one so atm its just pushed into the bottom other whise it just flaps around my question is what do i need to get it back to normal or atm i have a razo or something gearknob but i have alot of metal stick showing cos the gaitor is to short am not sure if the owner has replaced the gearbox but its a short shifter how do i get it looking more smart by having a aftermarket gearknob and gaitor what ones do i buy

Last edited by 5lider; 25 October 2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 25 October 2009, 09:06 PM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

that gator is not clipped in to the lower trim as it should be and its folded in on its self at the top.

you will have to find a way to build the thickness of the stick up then pop the top of the gator over it to keep it up.

I know what i mean anyway
Old 25 October 2009, 09:11 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D4VEW557
that gator is not clipped in to the lower trim as it should be and its folded in on its self at the top.

you will have to find a way to build the thickness of the stick up then pop the top of the gator over it to keep it up.

I know what i mean anyway
ok thanks could i change the gearknob or has he changed it to a short shifter i mean whats he done to make it like that i have seen a gear **** with a little bulge on the end would that hold the gaitor up

Last edited by 5lider; 25 October 2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 25 October 2009, 09:27 PM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

i dont know for certain but i dont think the acutal gear stick is any different in length on a short shifter. im sure ill be corrected if i m wrong.

just get a proper impreza gear **** then it with have the bit on the bottom for the gator

Last edited by D4VEW557; 25 October 2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 25 October 2009, 09:34 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

i dont know for certain but i dont think the acutal gaer stick is any different in length on a short shifter. im sure ill be corrected if i m wrong.

just get a proper impreza gear **** then it with have the bit on the bottom for the gator
ok thanks alot
Old 25 October 2009, 09:42 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 5lider
ok thanks could i change the gearknob or has he changed it to a short shifter i mean whats he done to make it like that i have seen a gear **** with a little bulge on the end would that hold the gaitor up
Hello,
The original would have had like you say a little bulge where the rubber boot top would wrap over to hold it up. On my car this was an original Nardi gear **** but I've changed it now for a carbon fibre one. When I fitted this I also bought a new collar from Demon tweeks (see link). This was not ideal as the size was a close fit....it took some hairdryer heat and some washing up liquid to get the rubber boots top lip to fit correctly but it's definately worth it as you can no longer see any of the shaft and it looks like it was made to fit

Ring for Endurance Gaiter | Gear Shaft Sleeves | Demon Tweeks Motorsport, Motorcycle, Car Modifying, Parts and Accessories,Sparco, Arai

Hope that helps
Old 25 October 2009, 09:46 PM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

does that colar screw on then the gear **** goes over the top
Old 25 October 2009, 10:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If you lift up the gear lever gaitor surround, the hard plastic bit in your photo, and bring the gaitor with it, you'll see the litle plastic "*****" on the hard bit that are suppoed to locate the gaitor.

Model shops, or the internet sell Styrene sheet, buy a piece about 60 thou, a sheet will cost around £1. While you are there, buy a bottle of "plastic Weld", aka MEK, MekPak, or ask the model shop what to use to WELD syrene, NOT glue it, ie: DO NOT buy Styrene cement. Tell him you need to weld ABS

Mark off a strip about a cm wide, and drill holes a LITTLE smaller than the "*****" at about 15 mm intervals. Drill enough holes for all the "*****".

Now cut the strip into pieces around 15mm x 10mm with the hole in the centre. Place the rubber gaitor correctly so that it's holes are lined up with the "*****" and the "*****" show through each hole.

Use your "Plastic Weld" to weld a piece of styrene sheet over each "****" trapping the rubber gaitor, pressing the piece of Styrene sheet down well before wedling. Hold in place for about ten-30 seconds for each one.

Once it's replaced, you can think about a new gear ****.

BTW: when I did this, I did it with a cheap red leather gaitor I bought locally, cost me about £7, looks pretty good I had to make holes in it myself.
Old 25 October 2009, 10:56 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the advice i seen this on ebay is it something like this that i need?

Subaru Impreza GENUINE STi RED STITCHING GEARKNOB on eBay (end time 29-Oct-09 20:47:23 GMT)
Old 25 October 2009, 10:59 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
If you lift up the gear lever gaitor surround, the hard plastic bit in your photo, and bring the gaitor with it, you'll see the litle plastic "*****" on the hard bit that are suppoed to locate the gaitor.

Model shops, or the internet sell Styrene sheet, buy a piece about 60 thou, a sheet will cost around £1. While you are there, buy a bottle of "plastic Weld", aka MEK, MekPak, or ask the model shop what to use to WELD syrene, NOT glue it, ie: DO NOT buy Styrene cement. Tell him you need to weld ABS

Mark off a strip about a cm wide, and drill holes a LITTLE smaller than the "*****" at about 15 mm intervals. Drill enough holes for all the "*****".

Now cut the strip into pieces around 15mm x 10mm with the hole in the centre. Place the rubber gaitor correctly so that it's holes are lined up with the "*****" and the "*****" show through each hole.

Use your "Plastic Weld" to weld a piece of styrene sheet over each "****" trapping the rubber gaitor, pressing the piece of Styrene sheet down well before wedling. Hold in place for about ten-30 seconds for each one.

Once it's replaced, you can think about a new gear ****.

BTW: when I did this, I did it with a cheap red leather gaitor I bought locally, cost me about £7, looks pretty good I had to make holes in it myself.
i may need to get a new surround as the little ***** your saying are all broke off
Old 25 October 2009, 11:08 PM
classic scooby
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the advice i seen this on ebay is it something like this that i need?

Subaru Impreza GENUINE STi RED STITCHING GEARKNOB on eBay (end time 29-Oct-09 20:47:23 GMT)
hello mate

if it is like this kind that you need i have one you can buy off me the only difference with mine is it has black stitching on it not red!

let me know if you are interested and we can do a deal for alot less than the 17 quid they are asking for

regards
Nick
Old 26 October 2009, 12:32 AM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classic scooby
hello mate

if it is like this kind that you need i have one you can buy off me the only difference with mine is it has black stitching on it not red!

let me know if you are interested and we can do a deal for alot less than the 17 quid they are asking for

regards
Nick
ok mate i think i need that one if anyone else can give comment i be gratfull
Old 26 October 2009, 03:12 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

does that colar screw on then the gear **** goes over the top
Sorry for the slow reply Yeah that collar would screw up on to the replacement gear **** (if you bought one).
That one from eBay is the type of **** that was on my car originally but mine was a Nardi version. So that will do the job if your not after anything too special looking
Old 26 October 2009, 05:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

i may need to get a new surround as the little ***** your saying are all broke off
Less than a £5 from a scrappy