Sponsored by:

NOOB Advice and HELP ON 330S ETC

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2009, 08:18 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default NOOB Advice and HELP ON 330S ETC

Firstly hi to all, an thanks for reading my dribble.

Ok my history, Ive had a type-r Astra VXR but currently run an Insignia CDTI 160, with VXR kit 20 inchers and lots of other stuff, But its boring BUT does 700 to a tank.

Anyways, decided ive had enough and spoke to my local Scoody dealer in Leeds. Onto my questions can you help.

Looking at a 330s first then if i can trade in against it or payments too high i,ll drop to a STI.

1, Taking into mind i had a VXR last year, is the fuel really that bad on the scoobys, or if u drive 70 can it match the astra or am i in for a shock ?What you get to a tank if your sensible ?
2. Insurance, Approx with 65 or 75 % no cliams no Points are u all paying for 1 fully comp ?
3. If i dropped to an STI which are the best wheels cos i dont care much for the normal 1s ? whats the 330s got ?
4. Can you remap the sti to near the 330s simply or is it a whole conversion needed ?
5. i drive to london once a month, could i get there on 3/4 tank as i could in astra ?
6. And 1 i dont really wanna know but, whats the general view of these being nicked to order, is it alot of smalll cases etc ?

Sorry for the nooby question, but the garage will big up anything i ask, i wanted real life answers.

And any other advice on 330s VS normal wrx STI

thanks all

Ted

Last edited by Littleted; 20 October 2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 20 October 2009, 09:00 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome Ted

Right I shall try to answer your questions, but there will be some 330S owners on later

1, Taking into mind i had a VXR last year, is the fuel really that bad on the scoobys, or if u drive 70 can it match the astra or am i in for a shock ?What you get to a tank if your sensible ?

If your worried about fuel consumption, dont buy one, but they are not actually that bad considering they push out about 340bhp

2. Insurance, Approx with 65 or 75 % no cliams no Points are u all paying for 1 fully comp ?

It all depends on where you live, age, postcode, garaged etc etc, there are a few insurance speciallists you can try in the insurance section

3. If i dropped to an STI which are the best wheels cos i dont care much for the normal 1s ? whats the 330s got ?

If you have to drop to a normal STI then buy an EU import, they are the 330S spec without the PPP (prodrive performance pack) fitted.

4. Can you remap the sti to near the 330s simply or is it a whole conversion needed ?

You can have a normal STI mapped, but it will invalidate your warranty, and subaru do like sending their main engineers out to inspect any expensive failures (engines especially).

5. i drive to london once a month, could i get there on 3/4 tank as i could in astra ?

Yes, these cars have 3 modes, if you take it nice and steady you can do the run on 3/4 of a tank

6. And 1 i dont really wanna know but, whats the general view of these being nicked to order, is it alot of smalll cases etc ?

Its like any performance car, thieves will target it above many others if that is what they are after, but they prefer the older cars as they are easier to nick (plus park it next to something more exotic with less security and your sorted )

Tony
Old 20 October 2009, 09:14 AM
Dave_P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In answer to your questions mate:

The 330S is a nice car, but for the premium you pay it might be better to get a normal STI and get some 18" wheels and a Prodrive Performance Pack (PPP).

1. I have a slightly modified 355bhp hatch STI and with cruise control on at 70mph it returns 30-34mpg on a long trip. Have seen 37mpg when cruising at 65mph (if you believe the onboard computer). Average is around 24-25mpg or less if you use your right foot.

2. Depends on so may variables, but is likely to be between £600 - £1000 a year fully comp (speak to Gary Moulson at Keith Michaels Insurance for a quote)

3. STI has 17" enkei wheels as standard, allthough nearly all have 18" wheels fitted. I would advise against getting the 5 spoke wheels that come as standard on the 330S, they are very heavy (I have a set).

4. A re-map works best with a high flow air filter and turbo back exhuast system, you will need these to make getting a re-map done worthwhile. I think Subaru are doing half price PPPs at the moment though for new cars. PPP is ok and best for warranty, but bespoke re-map best for driveability/performance. Type in 2008 STI exhaust into Youtube or Google to see loads of options.

5. Depends where from mate See 1 above. But seriously though, do not buy a 2.5 turbo charged car that makes over 300bhp if you are worried a lot about mpg mate, STI's like a drink.

6. Like any desirable car they get nicked, just try to make yours as difficult to do so as possible. There are lots of things you can do that help. Most thefts are with keys these days so you might want to look at your home security to see if that is ok.

A lot of your questions and answers may be here as well, this is where the hatch owners hang out on here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...ourselves.html

Hope this helps

D
Old 20 October 2009, 09:35 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys for that.

The insurance sounds ok just didnt want like 2k, think my VXR was only 400 and thats grp 17.

regarding fuel, it doesnt bother me VS the power ive got , i just didnt want a return on fuel like a Manaro or my m8s fq400 hehe.

the figures look ok so far. but i think you may be right an STI is looking more favorable, but i will miss my on-board sat nav, and cant justify upgrading, so i may dig out my old tom tom
Old 20 October 2009, 11:57 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Your other option is a car supermarket, savings can be pretty good plus its the full spec car which you dont get over here unless you go for the 330S, all you have to do is register the car with I.M. (international motors, the official importer of subaru's to the UK) and your sorted
new Subaru Impreza hatchback's at Motor Depot Car Supermarkets

Tony
Old 20 October 2009, 07:57 PM
Dave_P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
Thanks guys for that.
i will miss my on-board sat nav, and cant justify upgrading, so i may dig out my old tom tom
A decent double din aftermarket Kenwood or Alpine unit fits in there nicely and is much cheaper than the factory option unit
Old 21 October 2009, 09:38 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

You do have another option though if your spending that much on a scoob (and it will be warrantied ) and thats to try Litchfield and go for one of the japanese domestic import cars (Iain is well respected on here and you see his cars in magazines like Evo).
These are 2ltr twin scroll units, more bhp and torque out of the box over the UK/EU cars plus pretty much everything is standard on these where as the uk cars dont get all the goodies
Price for a 350/360bhp package is probably the same as a 330S, and they do a 400bhp package though that's a little more expensive or just give their type 20 a shot

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 21 October 2009, 10:04 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would sell your current car privately. Get a personal loan or finance of some sort, for the extra funds. Then buy a year or older JDM sti & mod it as you feel like.
Old 21 October 2009, 10:38 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by rickya
I would sell your current car privately. Get a personal loan or finance of some sort, for the extra funds. Then buy a year or older JDM sti & mod it as you feel like.
Litchfield does have a mk2 type 25 spec c for sale just now 415bhp and 420lbs torque

Tony
Old 21 October 2009, 11:59 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

1, Mixed driving with lots of short journeys and I'm getting around 230 to a tank using V Power.
2, Also try Aplan, cheapest by far when I called, Keith Michels could not get close, get some figures from an online insurance supermarket and then give them to Aplan and see what they can do, this will be about my 5th year with them and they insure both are cars.
3, 330 rims are heavy but I do like them myself, when funds allow may change but in no rush.
4, I'll be going for a map once the warranty is up.
5, SI drive is brilliant, in auto mode mpg figures especially on a motorway are pretty good with 30+ easy, Sport# mode and its a different story but way more fun, I never use Sport mode and when I have mine mapped I may get this programmed for something else which I think is possible.

As said above, check out the 08/09 thread which has a wealth of info.

Good luck
A