Sponsored by:

Consumer rights question

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2009, 03:22 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Consumer rights question

If a parts manufacturer sends you a part that is faulty & you pay a garage a couple of hundred pounds to fit it, only to findout it doesnt work. You send the part back & they tell you yes it is faulty, they will refund the cost of the part. But I had to pay to get that part fitted & removed & then fit a new correct part at cost of £200 again. Should'nt the manufacturer of the part pay all or some of my labour costs of having to fit again?
Old 14 October 2009, 03:34 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

normally they will only cover the price of the part, not the labour, as some garages may charge £150 ph and others may charge £30ph for example.
Old 14 October 2009, 08:12 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I wouldn't expect a dime, as they will screw you with the small print....

dunx
Old 14 October 2009, 09:54 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Sometimes, it's better to let the garage you choose to use supply the parts as well. Then it's their problem to fix it! It's how things used to be before ebay ...
Old 14 October 2009, 11:06 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tricky one as you have two contracts....... one with the seller of the product and the other with the garage who fitted the part.

The first is easy as there was an offer to treat / chaffer , acceptance, and consideration........the product was not fit for purchase and they refund the cost of the part. Sorted.

The garage fitted the item in good faith so they should get their monies

You either have to rely on the "goodwill" of the original part supplier to cough up some cash or take the matter to a small claims court

Who was the original supplier ??

As Alan says it's often best to involve the people doing the spannering

Shaun
Old 14 October 2009, 11:54 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I work in a main dealership and even though I can empathise with your position, the supplier of the part is only obliged to refund the value of the part once it is found to be faulty after inspection by them.

If we in work had fitted a part that we supplied then the warranty also covers any incurred labour charges , but if the customer takes the part away and fits it themselves or gets a third party to fit it then the only the value of the part will be covered.

It is far better to let any dealership/repairer/workshop supply the parts themselves that way they are liable for any labour charges which they can take up with the part supplier.
Old 15 October 2009, 01:57 AM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't expect anything from the manufacturer except for a refund/replacement of the faulty part.

Though it kind of depends on the type/scale of the job in question, I would of expected the garage that took the job on originally to fit the replaced part at a discount, if not for free out of goodwill.
Since you gainednothing from the first labour costs, to charge full whack again to redo it seems a bit harsh to me, I know it wasn't their fault that the part was faulty, but it just doesn't seem to imply good customer service imo.

Just my £0.02 worth

Last edited by lloydee; 15 October 2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 15 October 2009, 05:29 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at it from the Garages point of view - you are the part supplier, so I wouldn't expect anything from them for a start.
Dunno about the part supplier - but I would guess you would need a county court judgement before they coughed up.
Old 15 October 2009, 10:04 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Its swings and roundabouts - it may be safer getting the garage fitting the part to source it themselves, but then they add their mark up onto it from the motor factors, and if it is an expensive part, this can work out a lot.

Or you can source it yourself for near to trade price, save the garages mark up, and just get them to fit it, but you run the risk of giving the garage a faulty part.

Saying that, if you buy good quality parts from a known manufacturer, you are unlikely to get a faulty one. If you bought cheap chinese made rubbish from ebay as cheap as you can, then you are far more likely to have problems.

Your contract with the garage is for them to fit a supplied part. It costs them the same in labour charges and time to fit a working part as a faulty part, so there is no way they should have to lose out because the customer supplied a faulty part. If it isnt a part that can be tested easily off the car, then they will fit it in good faith assuming it will work fine.

Your only recourse is with the supplier of the part - you may get some joy through the small claims court, but its unlikely, and the amount of time and hassle you will waste mean it is probably just as well to get a working part from them and pay the garage to fit it again. They may offer you some money towards the cost as a goodwill gesture, or even a reduced price on other parts, but if you start ranting and kicking up a fuss about it, then you'll find their goodwill runs out fairly quickly !