Sponsored by:

New Scooby owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2009, 11:22 AM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Scooby owner with some questions

A couple of reasons for my thread, first of all to say Hi, I pick up my first Scooby from the garage in a couple of days. Its and MY03 Blobeye WRX, it has an STI rear spoiler and Prodrive Backbox, I'll add some pictures once I've picked it up. Secondly to ask some questions that I have found conflicting answers to and also some I cant find answers to

Im not going to spend lots of money on modifying the existing car for performance too much. One of the obvious mods Im going to apply is a Green Cotton Panel Filter. The other modification I was looking into was replacing the existing intercooler hoses with Samco Silicon hoses as ive read that they can inscrease airflow in conjunction with the panel filter. I have no plans to remap it. Im not interested in too much speed just drivability.

Other question is regarding brakes. The one thing that hit me on the test drive, is how poor the brakes were. The garage has said they would address this at the service prior to collection, but I believe that this can be a common issue with Impreza's and some steps can be made to improve braking performance. I'm going to upgrade the hoses to goodeidge braided ones, and change the fluid to Dot5.1, however I am going to stick with standard discs but which pads are going to bite best for everyday use ?

Then there are some cosmetic alterations I'm interested in doing.

1. STI front bumper Aero mouldings, looks straight forward enough, does anyone happen to have part numbers to hand ?

2. Im looking for an Alloy gaiter surround similar to the STI ones but without STI etched on it, Ive seen one on someones personal page that has Impreza etched on the bottom(not on this site) but with no mention as to where they bought it.

3. My Impreza's boot lock doesnt have the large rectangular metal plate surrounding it, and I wondered if this was something that could be retro fit, as I dont want to scratch the paintwork going in and out of boot lots using the key.

Many thanks for any responses.
Old 13 October 2009, 12:31 PM
motorola222
Scooby Regular

well for the brakes. i suggest either tarox or brembo discs with either DS2500 Ferodo Pads(these get the highest rating) i use Tarox Sport Japan Discs and EBC Yellowstuff pads and i think there fantastic steer clear of redstuff thought there great when u get heat into them but untill then there extremly wooden, one thing ull notice is that the EBC products get a right battering, one reason for this is that EBC change there Pad Forumlas every year someone who had a shiyte yellowstuff last year may find them greath this year. if it helps i use yellowstuff pads formula 1846 u can get them from demon tweeks and a front set will cost u ruffly £120 the ferodo's ur looking at about 150-180. One thing u must take notice at is my experiance and opinion may be different to yours all i an the others can say is what they feel was best for them. As for the hoses i dont understand how a pipe one size can be better airflow if its the same as the pipe it replaces. As for the Cloth Panel Filter id like some info on this myself.

Hope i helped a bit

Any u Other Guys got some tips for him?
Old 13 October 2009, 03:10 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

get an itg panel air filter, leave the hoses there is nothing wrong with them and there are no gains to be had.

if you want replacement brakes, id suggest talking to ian godney at godspeed and tell him what you want to achieve leave the rest to him. it wont be cheap though!! he posts on scoobynet as "ian godney".

enjoy your car and welcome to scoobynet
Old 13 October 2009, 03:13 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

as for the other bits you require I would suggest talking to Grade-A tell them what you want and they will sort the rest.
Old 13 October 2009, 03:19 PM
motorola222
Scooby Regular

I recommend Ian he supplied my new calipers when mine seized top bloke and good service.

What's the best panel filter guys
Old 13 October 2009, 03:29 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

alloy gaiter surround you can get from scoobyparts.com, make sure you get the one for your year of car.

brakes as already said, get on the phone to ian at godspeed, 4 pot ap racing kit with ds2500 pads £1000 which is a good price. dont touch anything with tarox on it!!!! from personal experience

leave hoses alone, and upgrade filter to standard sti panel filter.

cant comment on front bumper or lock surround as never had any dealings with them
Old 13 October 2009, 03:32 PM
motorola222
Scooby Regular

What's wrong with tarox???

My mates Been using there g88 discs on his e30 m3 touring cars for years
Old 13 October 2009, 03:51 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input folks, I'm not sure I want to spend £1000 on brakes.

I'll look at the STI panel filter, where would I order one of them from ? . I have checked Scoobyparts.com for an alloy gaiter surround, but they dont have anything for late cars, only the classic Imprezas.

Thanks again
Old 13 October 2009, 05:52 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive a hawkeye wrx and as u sya the brakes are pish to say the least,i bought performance friction pads for the front and mintex for the rear,and braided hoses and what a difference its made,nxt will be drilled and grooved discs.
Old 13 October 2009, 06:13 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

ferodo ds2500 pads are popular on here and for a reason they are great
Old 13 October 2009, 07:16 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
ferodo ds2500 pads are popular on here and for a reason they are great
, I had these on my 03 wrx along with group N discs the difference to standard was unbelievable.

As for the boot i hardly ever open it with a key, just open it from the drivers seat

Aaron
Old 13 October 2009, 07:17 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Just to add i use these on the STI i rated them that good.

Aaron
Old 13 October 2009, 09:22 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by motorola222
What's wrong with tarox???

My mates Been using there g88 discs on his e30 m3 touring cars for years
out of all the different brake combos ive used i thought they were the worst combination, only my personal opinion, even to the point where the standard 4 pots were better than their 10 pot caliper conversion.

try scoobyworld for your gaiter and also the sti panel filter, i think powerstation do them as well
Old 13 October 2009, 10:06 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

The only question that you will be asking in a year or two is why didn't i get a STi in the first place????

Trust me i have been in that t-shirt,lol

Mac
Old 13 October 2009, 10:20 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

No I agree already, I would have almost certainly of had an STI, if I wasnt using it as my daily driver doing about 20k miles a year alot of which is on the motorway. Ive been mainly driving new Audi's and I've got a little soft of back over the past couple of years too, so I found the WRX a nice play off of performance and a nicely damped ride.

Many thanks again all for your input, I have taken on board what you have said regarding Brake pads, do you know where I can get a set of the DS2500's, Ive checked Demon Tweaks and the dont sell them for the 03 model.

Also I have checked Scoobyparts for a Gaiter Surround and they dont do them for the newage Impreza.

Also, why choose the standard STI replacement air panel over the Green performance one. Does it perform the same for less or cheaper etc.

As for the boot, I suppose I'll just have to open the boot with the release handle by the drivers door.

Thanks again.
Old 13 October 2009, 10:24 PM
pikeywrx
Scooby Regular

I like it when people say. "im only going to be doing this" then 6 months down the line They have got the "bug" and there chasing BHP.

First impreza i owned i was exactly the same then i got used to it and it wasnt fun any more. then BMC exaust turbos etc etc lol
Old 14 October 2009, 06:13 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

For brake advice give me a call AZTEC PERFORMANCE ONLINE STORE - WHOLESALE PRICES DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC

Don't buy brake fluid based on the DOT rating. We sell Motul RBF600 which is DOT 4 and Motul DOT 5.1. The RBF600 is better.