Sponsored by:

boost controler

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2009, 07:01 PM
scoobs 4 life
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost controler

What are the advantages of an electronic boost controler over a gated system, and are their any issues with each system that i should be aware of.
Old 09 October 2009, 08:34 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

better control !!
ajustable
more info displayed
Old 09 October 2009, 08:55 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobs 4 life
What are the advantages of an electronic boost controler over a gated system, and are their any issues with each system that i should be aware of.
Not sure what question you're asking there. All forms of boost control use the wastegate (unless it's a VGT-type turbo) - so are you asking about the difference between manual, spring-operated boost controllers and external electronic ones, the difference between ECU operated boost control and an external EBC, or...?
Old 09 October 2009, 09:35 PM
scoobs 4 life
Scooby Regular

????? the difference between manual spring and external electronic ones will be all if you have any knowledge on them that could help me choose as i cant afford a remap
Old 09 October 2009, 10:03 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The key advantage of a manual boost controller is its simplicity. A ball bearing with a spring pressing against it, forming a valve, and a way of adjusting the spring pressure. The ball bearing is pushed open when the pressure of the boost behind it becomes stronger than the spring. Simple, easy to understand, and capable of very good results.

The key disadvantage of a manual boost controller is its simplicity (see what I did there?). No ability to taper the boost profile at part throttle or higher engine speeds, should the turbo need it, and no way for the ECU to intervene and open the wastegate under emergency or error conditions.

Those are things that electronic controllers can add - and the more you spend, the more control, flexibility and information you get in return, although the best way is for the ECU to keep control and do it via a remap.

The one thing to bear in mind, if you're trying to get more power on the cheap, is that simply bolting on an MBC and letting rip isn't enough. You need to add the cost of a good boost gauge and, ideally, a method of monitoring knock (almost essential) and AFR (slightly less so). If you skip all of that and blow your engine up, your cheap power hike suddenly gets very expensive.
Old 10 October 2009, 11:28 AM
scoobs 4 life
Scooby Regular

Thanks m8
It is not worth doing on the cheap then realy is it. I think i am goin to save up do it proper and get a remap.
At least i can be sure there is some degree of safety built in then.