Poss new car.......

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2009, 11:36 PM
classicturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poss new car.......

Im going to view this tomorow -

2000 SUBARU IMPREZA TURBO 2000 4WD 4DR STI SP?

The only thing im concerned about is the fact it states that it was supplied in belgium - UK spec. Anyone seen this before? Also the fact that it has only 46k miles, would this have been in km if it was from europe? Would it be classed as an import?

Any help will be great as i really hope it's a good un as it's just what im after.

Cheers
Old 07 October 2009, 01:15 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Mate,

Think that is a WRX with some STi stuff fitted, hoever i not really into clasic tbh and someone on here will be along to answer shortly.

I got my first WRX in 2002 brand new from belgium and its the same as a UK car however you had to get your own alarm, mats, underseal and locking wheel nuts.

all made in same factory in japan and shipped over. no difference and was 4k cheaper than uk one and still had a warrenty etc.

that car seems a tad expensive though.

Mac
Old 07 October 2009, 01:22 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The grey import from Europe thing was all the rage a few years ago, so yes, plenty will have seen this before and the car should be pretty much as per a full UK market equivalent.

If it says Turbo 2000 AWD on the boot badge and/or V5 then you should be able to insure it as such - but then again you're going to have to declare the mods anyway, of which there are quite a few, and by the time you get through all that, the distinction between a UK and Europe market car will become insignificant anyway.

It looks quite a tidy car - the Prodrive brake upgrade is good. The thing that sticks out though is the "STi ECU". If a previous owner really has put a Jap market STi 5 or 6 ECU in it, the engine is probably not running within safe margins. However, it's also possible, given the rest of the car, that it might be a (pink STi label) PPP ECU. I'd be a little bit wary of the "tuned for 260bhp" too. If it's a PPP it'll be a little short of that, and in this case might also be prone to overboost with a decat fitted.

That mileage is very low for its age - so pay close attention to it and ascertain as closely as you can whether the condition of the car is consistent with it. Otherwise though, looks like a good buy.
Old 07 October 2009, 01:25 AM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

Euro import cars are not a problem as long as they are UK spec.

As said above, don't think that is an STi, not really sure that STi classics came in DBM, but again, I'm more of a newage dude.
Have to be careful with adverts, alot are advertised as STis yet are cleary not or just have a few STi bits on them.
Old 07 October 2009, 08:17 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Not worth 6k at all! More like 3k tops!

You can buy my car for 6k minus a few parts!
Old 07 October 2009, 01:20 PM
classicturbo
Scooby Regular

Cheers chaps, just a quickie where is the ecu located? Is it easy to get at to have a look? When i did an on-line insurance quote with direct line the registration came up as a Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 so no worries there. I think 6k is a little high but no way is it worth only 3???

Dunno whether to ssshhhhh about the mods or not though???

Last edited by classicturbo; 07 October 2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07 October 2009, 02:48 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Its an EU import so is insured as a UK car - one of mine was from Dublin so same thing.

The STI ECU needs to be checked (Its under the passenger footwell but needs a couple of M10 bolts undone to remove the plate)

Its not worth £6K. 4.5k at the VERY most and I wouldn't pay that either (its a shame considering the prices of others of this ilk - Lancia Integrale prices are bonkers - but its the way it is). Theres minty mint UK cars with similar mods/condition on here for sale and the most they'll make is £4.5K on a good day.

What do you mean about mods? If your planning on not telling the insurers don't insure the car for anything other than 3rd party only because the insurers won't pay you a penny but at least if your at fault in an accident the other person can make a claim.

Either fess up or look at your insurance as the only way to get tax and protect other road users. As to whether you should is up to you.

LOL - its in Witney I grew up there.

Last edited by EddScott; 07 October 2009 at 02:50 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 07 October 2009, 03:30 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Just looks like a standard uk turbo (eu import obviously) with a few nice mods, especially the prodrive brakes.

As others have said, £6000 is way, way too much for a classic now. I would say £4000 tops.
Old 07 October 2009, 07:28 PM
Matt78
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Just looks like a standard uk turbo (eu import obviously) with a few nice mods, especially the prodrive brakes.

As others have said, £6000 is way, way too much for a classic now. I would say £4000 tops.
Agreed. Not worth £6000, although I'd say it is worth around £4000, maybe just over, because of the low mileage and by the looks of things, mint condition. I paid £3500 for my 1999 turbo, in the same colour, 80,000 miles, a year ago, good condition but not mint.