ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Police EVO in Essex

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2001, 12:01 AM
dholmes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am not aware of any cameras on the A14 between Kettering and the M1. Are you sure it wasn't a "Road Safety Camera Van" sitting on a bridge over the A14, 'cus Northants has several vans in operation?

Was the picture taken in the day light?

Either way, sounds like good advice.
Old 14 February 2001, 12:25 AM
mitch779
Scooby Regular

Didn't see any vans parked up etc... I am generally quite careful!!. Unfortunately it was about 1pm the sun was out and conditions couldn't have been more promising for taking a snap shot. I have yet to see the picture.
Old 14 February 2001, 12:29 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Mitch is right, around the Milton Keynes/Northampton area there are secret cameras on bridges.
Friend of mine got caught there.

Cem
Old 14 February 2001, 12:37 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Northants plod use the bridges between J15-16 with their mobile cameras. Not easy to spot 'till its too late so watch your speed along there, mate of mine busted for doing 78MPH! by one of these.
A14 has many fixed cameras

Be very careful going through Northants, there are 5 mobile cameras on the go!

Fortunately, there is no other crime in Northants, no burglary, rapes, muggings, drug or violent crimes so Northants Police are now concentrating on the real hardened criminals in their 4-wheeled killing machines

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 14 February 2001).]
Old 14 February 2001, 11:44 AM
mitch779
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I had just taken my scoob for its MOT at Days in Chelmsford this morning and was travelling southbound on the A12 after coming off the A130 junction and to my amazement saw a Police EVO VI in full checkered livery, hardly blending in all, travelling on the northbound carriageway. Looked slightly menacing and I wouldn't enjoy seeing it in my rear view mirror!!!!
So keep an eye out for it.
Also a word of warning to those going to Donnington via the A14, there seem to be some well hidden cameras between Kettering and the M1 junctions as I unfortunately found out during January

Cheers NM my(97 5dr)
Old 14 February 2001, 11:48 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Posted B4, but it's fun, nonetheless

Old 19 February 2001, 02:53 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Cool

Saw this car today in Chelmsford...I must say it looks good in all the Police livery.

Tim
Old 19 February 2001, 07:56 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Wink

colchester police apparently soon to be using two unmarked yellow scoobys!
Old 19 February 2001, 09:12 PM
mat-e-boy
Scooby Regular

Angry

There are most definately so called 'road safety vans' around now. I'm watching out so much I might crash.....
Hopefully If I do I'll take one with me!

Old 20 February 2001, 07:51 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

The EVO is allegedly based in Billericay......
Old 20 February 2001, 08:10 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Red face

According to one of my local Taxi drivers Rayleigh Traffic have 4 of those little vans. And then Sunday morning I saw one of these vans...it looked like it had broken down!! It was parked on the pavement!!! very strange !!! Im so chuffed to live in a county were the only crime is of the traffic type! phewww I will sleep alot easier tonight!!
Old 20 February 2001, 03:15 PM
gizmo71
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by spudgun:
<B>colchester police apparently soon to be using two unmarked yellow scoobys![/quote]

Sports and not STis I presume/hope!
Old 20 February 2001, 05:46 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I wonder if someone could do a study on how much distraction there is now with all these so called "safety meausures" around?

You now drive along the raod looking at:

Every BT, Gas Board, Electric Board, delivery and "broken down" van parked at the roadside in case it has a camera hanging out the back of it.
Every motorway/A road bridge for parked cars/coppers.
White lines in the road that most of the time have no cameras anywhere near them (Police humour, eh?)
Those stupid half width speed bumps, that are just wide enough for you to straddle if you get the crease in your bonnet lined up with the white arrow, thereby subconsiously challenging you to cross it as fast as you can.
Helicopters.
Cardboard cutouts painted to look like policemen.

Bear in mind you're watching all these things while pumping on and off the brakes/accellerator in an attempt to maintain your "real" road speed, and filling the world with high emmissions caused by hard accelleration and brake dust.

I mean, how much time do you actually spend looking at the road conditions any more?

Neil.
Old 20 February 2001, 07:37 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

gizmo,
definately turbocharged!
Old 20 February 2001, 08:00 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Wink

NeilF,

you know <B>full well</B> that you should not be looking for potential hazzards when you are driving - the only thing that matters is your speed. So do as the government tells you, and keep your eyes fixed on the speedo, so that you will never stray even 1mph above the posted limit. Oh, you are of course allowed to look out for the signs that indicate the limit (when they are used), but the speedo is the main thing.

We will have road casualties down to zero in a few months if everyone "followed the rules"!

mb

[This message has been edited by boomer (edited 20 February 2001).]
Old 21 February 2001, 10:29 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Boomer, your right!
I've been spending far too much time looking out of the windscreen and not concentrating on the dashboard.
I shall beg forgiveness and whip myself for 4 hours with an old speedo cable to purge my sins.

Neil.
Old 21 February 2001, 01:03 PM
dholmes
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I reckon I got caught on Friday on the A605.

I overtook a slow ( 50 mph) van coming out a slight bend. Hit the loud peddle in 3rd and was passed in a blink of an eye. It was then I noticed a white unmarked van sitting further down the road with its rear doors open. Looked down at the speedo 78mph - hard on the brakes to 60 mph and drove passed the van.

If I had overtook this van at 60 mph I would have probably needed a 1/4 mile to complete the maneuver ( very safe NOT). 5 minutes later I crossed the A14 onto the A45 and guess what? Another camara van, red one this time, was sitting on the bridge. 2 in 5 mins. This time I was doing 60 mph exactly.

Question is: ( I guess I'll know the answer to this in the next couple of weeks) I know the laser will have got me speeding, but how good is the lens on camera as I was back down to the speed limit a good 80 yards before I got to the van?

Or does the laser catch you speeding is the distance and the operator just take a picture of you when you pass to establish your identity??

Old 21 February 2001, 01:07 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

dholmes
.....my cheapy pocket camera takes a good photo of the sun and that's 93,000,000 miles away.....