A Message From Hertfordshire Constabulary

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2009, 10:00 AM
B8YN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Message From Hertfordshire Constabulary

i found this so thought should let as many ppl know this

"We are currently experiencing a number of Theft's of Subaru's in the County at the moment.

Subaru's and Mitsubishi EVO's appear to be the vehicle's which are being targeted and used in crime. Would you be so kind as to inform all your members of the importance of ensuring that their vehicle's are either parked in garages, if this is not viable then left parked blocked on drives by other vehicles. Can you please also advise owners that vehicle keys should not be
left on display through windows and are not left within door ways.

If you have any problems with this or would like to discuss with me, please do not hesitate to on 01992 533000.

Many thanks for your assistance
Kind regards

Claire Carter

PC1220 Carter
Safer Neighbourhood Team
Bishops Stortford Police Station
Hertfordshire Constabulary"
Old 03 October 2009, 10:11 AM
pikeywrx
Scooby Regular

I still think if you own a dog you have less chance off your car geting nicked. saying this i used to leave keys under the dogs bed he is a 13 stone rottie. until the wife proved a point off waiting till he was asleep then rolling him off his bed (still snoreing) and getting keys!

For about a month up here they were stealing cars. By stealing recovery trucks first then towing your car.

If they want it they will get it. And problem with hideing keys is they will look for them iv also known a bloke who they came upstairs into his bedroom and got keys whilst he was asleep. I have kids and a misses and although i can handle my self wouldnt want a thieving little scrout to be any where near them. and in all honusty would rather they just take the car.

Only way to do it is to have car trackered unfortunatly
Old 03 October 2009, 10:13 AM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

or do a home alone an set traps but dont forget yourself lol
Old 03 October 2009, 10:22 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Tracker is great if it's "lifted", but a separate fuel cut-off is my choice, it will start cough and die within seconds.

dunx
Old 03 October 2009, 08:25 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

DIY immobilisers are the way to go.

These cars are stolen more due to Police (soft) policies on pursuits.
Old 03 October 2009, 08:53 PM
type-ellis
Scooby Regular

I just pull off one of my conectors under my bonnet, that stops is starting. Can turn it over all they like but by that time i will be out with my dog and a nice fat baseball bat. Come on my property trying to steal my car and im affraid they are not going to get away lightly, if they got the ***** to try it then they can deal with the consiquenses. Scum.
Old 03 October 2009, 09:50 PM
Guv
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by type-ellis
Come on my property trying to steal my car and im affraid they are not going to get away lightly, if they got the ***** to try it then they can deal with the consiquenses. Scum.
I Used to be of this way of thinking and still do keep a bat by me bed (old habits from where I used to live) but I have changed my mind, I leave the keys by the door, if they want they can take it. Its only money at the end of the day but family is priceless
Old 04 October 2009, 05:41 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Bedford is the hot spot for finding Subaru's at the moment after being stolen!
Old 04 October 2009, 07:14 PM
hongkongstuey
Scooby Regular

i was having discussion with someone in the pub last night about the difference in insurance depending on where you live. my parents house has a different postcode to where i live now and the difference was about 40 quid an they are less than half a mile apart, but i was arguing the fact that when i move into the pub my car will be parked on the street, a one way street where you rarely get the chance to park outside your own house, so it came to the new way people are nicking car by stealing keys, if my car is at my current house they can break in and steal keys to my car, if im near the pub no thief will know who it belongs to so wont bother breaking into 100 houses to find keys. i know im more likely to get car damaged parked in the street from passing idiots. there isnt a chance a truck could lift my car onto a trailer without 50 people coming out their houses. thank god im moving into a pub is all i can say

did see a program the other week where someone had stolen a silver classic wagon, they smashed it quite bad. the police on the program said it was the current trend to nick subarus and evo's by nicking keys.

i work for secure a car in stafford and we fit loads of alarms to all imports especially subarus, dont fit many trackers to them but fit quite a few paging viper 500's, they seem to be very popular at the moment.
Old 04 October 2009, 07:24 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Trackers are a waste of time too. GSM based ones are easily blocked by devices available from a popular auction website for around £100, and even tin foil can overcome them if you know where the aerial is, and most thieves know their trade. IMHO the standard alarm and immobiliser backed up by a physical barrier such as a Disklok or Barrier/Dipol Deadlock (or both), but essentially with a Clifford Blackjax, meaning that even with the keys they will be flummoxed unless towed/lifted. Just enough not to hinder your use of the vehicle, but enough hassle to make them look elsewhere for someone whom hasn't taken as much effort.
Old 04 October 2009, 08:35 PM
hongkongstuey
Scooby Regular

ive seen the clifford blackjax system demo'd at the armour auto training day i went to, its good for if you get car jacked cos it lets them only go so far then limits speed and then cuts out, good concept, by the time they are away from you they aint gonna come back. did see the new range of cliffords demo'd too, the one you can text your car to get status of it like if its warned away it'll text you back saying so, it even has ability to start the car if the battery level dips below a pre set lower limit to top battery level up, texting you back the battery voltage, if anyone was to break in it shuts off and is fully immobilised again.

if someone wants your car they will get it, trackers are good if fitted properly, if they are just thrown in they will alert you but they are disabled pretty easily.
Old 04 October 2009, 08:50 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hongkongstuey
i was having discussion with someone in the pub last night about the difference in insurance depending on where you live. my parents house has a different postcode to where i live now and the difference was about 40 quid an they are less than half a mile apart, but i was arguing the fact that when i move into the pub my car will be parked on the street, a one way street where you rarely get the chance to park outside your own house, so it came to the new way people are nicking car by stealing keys, if my car is at my current house they can break in and steal keys to my car, if im near the pub no thief will know who it belongs to so wont bother breaking into 100 houses to find keys. i know im more likely to get car damaged parked in the street from passing idiots. there isnt a chance a truck could lift my car onto a trailer without 50 people coming out their houses. thank god im moving into a pub is all i can say

did see a program the other week where someone had stolen a silver classic wagon, they smashed it quite bad. the police on the program said it was the current trend to nick subarus and evo's by nicking keys.

i work for secure a car in stafford and we fit loads of alarms to all imports especially subarus, dont fit many trackers to them but fit quite a few paging viper 500's, they seem to be very popular at the moment.
The thing is i would imagine most theives do a bit of homework if its a specific car their after and would probably sit and watch which house the driver goes into if its on the street, I'm thinking of the blackjax as my next purchase for my car.

Aaron
Old 04 October 2009, 09:02 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Nothing new in Gloucestershire,being happening for the past 5 years
Old 04 October 2009, 10:17 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Agreed with some of the others.... I would have fought anybody that entered my house uninvited, they have no business being in my house and I owe them nothing, why should the lazy ******* get a free ride and make money for nothing out of my hard earned?

But now I have kids I just want them gone with as little intrusion as humanly possible.

If I was going to go the whole hog to stop people robbing my motor I would pull the ECU every night
Old 04 October 2009, 11:12 PM
themoneypit
BANNED

Originally Posted by type-ellis
I just pull off one of my conectors under my bonnet, that stops is starting. Can turn it over all they like but by that time i will be out with my dog and a nice fat baseball bat. Come on my property trying to steal my car and im affraid they are not going to get away lightly, if they got the ***** to try it then they can deal with the consiquenses. Scum.
im all for the protecting my property policy. however, if you run out with a bat and set your dog on the C U Next Tuesday you are probably gonna get arrested for assault and have your dog put down.
Old 04 October 2009, 11:53 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Aint it amazing how the law protects the scum!!!!!

Break the law by breaking in to my house, Get a F$cking good kicking for being in my house, and I get arrested, sued and prosecuted.... Where is the justice hey!

Life of crime is the way forward by the looks of things, you are untouchable!
Old 05 October 2009, 01:09 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stealth
Aint it amazing how the law protects the scum!!!!!

Break the law by breaking in to my house, Get a F$cking good kicking for being in my house, and I get arrested, sued and prosecuted.... Where is the justice hey!

Life of crime is the way forward by the looks of things, you are untouchable!
That's not strictly true, you are allowed to use reasonable force in matters of self defence, but that force must be proportionate to that being used against you. If you were in fear of immediate harm to yourself or your loved ones (and can prove it) the courts will accept this.

What we all have to do is weigh up the risks of harm to ourselves and loved ones against fighting back. Unfortunatly the criminals now rely on the fact that nobody will fight back and just hand over the keys. Like taking candy from a baby.
Old 05 October 2009, 01:11 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Id rather they take the keys then confrontation. I remember a similar thread a few months back where someone said that a group of men breaking into your house all running on adrenaline vs a sleepy home owner thats just woken up... odds dont look good do they? Its not worth it.
Old 05 October 2009, 01:14 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

I dunno I can be pretty damn grumpy when I've been woken up during the middle of the night
Old 05 October 2009, 01:21 PM
nks
Scooby Regular

In the olden days of Blackjax, if they have the clifford keyfob they could still picnch the car as there is a way of enabling a feature from the fob which disables the blackjax and immobilisers. Not sure if the new one's do it though??

I won't say what the feature is, but most people with Blackjax will know and I guess so will clued up criminals.
Old 05 October 2009, 01:23 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Break into my house and I WILL do time for them, Because once I am finished with them they will either be in a box or crippled for life. and Knowing the fact of they will never do it again will save someone else all the pain and worry and could save someones life!

That's how I am in life for people who know me.
Old 05 October 2009, 01:25 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter
Break into my house and I WILL do time for them, Because once I am finished with them they will either be in a box or crippled for life. and Knowing the fact of they will never do it again will save someone else all the pain and worry and could save someones life!

i agree well saidb
Old 05 October 2009, 01:28 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

tbh i think it should be righjt to that, as long as there on your property then fair game.
Old 05 October 2009, 01:39 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

It's about time that ordinary citizens were given the legal means to defend themselves within their own homes at the very least, pepper sprays, mace etc. Hopefuly this would deter the scum from exploiting this method of car theft.
Old 05 October 2009, 01:44 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
tbh i think it should be righjt to that, as long as there on your property then fair game.
Originally Posted by scoobeenut
It's about time that ordinary citizens were given the legal means to defend themselves within their own homes at the very least, pepper sprays, mace etc. Hopefuly this would deter the scum from exploiting this method of car theft.

I am sure in America home owners can shoot anyone who has broke into there house long as they are still on the property!

I remember a few years back that farmer who shot a lad dead for breaking into his farm. He got locked up but then after a campaign he got freed from prison.

Can't think of his name now but I think fair play to the chap.

I know for a 100% Fact if anyone broke into my dads farm he wouldn't think twice about shooting them same with me!

Point, Aim, shoot,bang, Dead, I do time and the little ****** won't do it again!)
Old 05 October 2009, 01:44 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

im all for mace

Old 05 October 2009, 01:51 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

I am sure in America home owners can shoot anyone who has broke into there house long as they are still on the property!

I remember a few years back that farmer who shot a lad dead for breaking into his farm. He got locked up but then after a campaign he got freed from prison.

Can't think of his name now but I think fair play to the chap.

I know for a 100% Fact if anyone broke into my dads farm he wouldn't think twice about shooting them same with me!

Point, Aim, shoot,bang, Dead, I do time and the little ****** won't do it again!)
I think the reason that farmer got locked up was because he shot the intruder in the back. I think he therefore couldn't prove that he was in immediate fear for his life from someone who was obviously facing away from him at the time.
Old 06 October 2009, 05:09 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

If you do time think of the effect on your loved ones? No idea if you are married or have children but if you go down for several years for putting someone in a box then is it really worth it over your car?

If they came in and assualted your family then sure its a different game then and its on like donkey kong!

One thought though, if you willingly hand over the keys to your car does your insurance cover this?
Old 06 October 2009, 05:10 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Yes, threat of violence

Quick Reply: A Message From Hertfordshire Constabulary