ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Help Needed - URGENT ( :) )

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2001, 09:41 AM
Milky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hope someone can give me a few pointers on this.

I'll cut to the chase, last night on the way home, approaching a left hand turn at a junction. Two Transco vans parked on left, with small roadworks inc barriers in front (no lights).
Car coming towards me from opposite direction so couldn't really swing wide of road works. Pass the road works with an almighty bang, the f$%king road men had left the massive man hole cover in the road, black cover with black tarmac, so no chance of seeing it.

Result : punctured rear tyre, and lots of clattering from the near side rear of the car !!!

Transco are getting an area supervisor/manager to give me a ring.

What am I entitled to ? anything ? or can they just refuse to pay for this damage.

I'm not paying for this, and want to be prepared when the supervisor rings me.

Cheers..

Darren.
Old 20 February 2001, 09:51 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

They have basically left and unmarked/unlit obstruction in the road, which I think is actually illegal.

Tell him that he (Transco) will pay for all damages. Also tell him you will have the work done at your approved dealer and the invoice will be paid by Transco directly.

If he starts giving you grief, just say that Transco are responsible and if he doesn't want to help clear this up quickly then you will see him in court.

Cheers

Ian
Old 20 February 2001, 10:09 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

I would suggest a letter to the appropriate department headed "Without Prejudice" advising when and where the incident occurred, whom it was reported to, what actually occurred, cost to repair/replacement, and request immediate settlement in order for the matter to be finalised.

Any problems give me a call.

Tom @ 0113 250 0377
(p.s. thats for the insurance perspective??!!)
Old 20 February 2001, 10:11 AM
Milky
Scooby Regular

Just spoken to the Transco guy, and they point blank refuse that the man hole cover was in the road. They state that it was within the barriers half over the man hole.
The supervisor himself says he inspected the sight at 9:30 that night and that was where it was situated.
Thank you, kiss my ****.....

Great what now !!!!!

Darren.
Old 20 February 2001, 10:54 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Milky, have you got any evidence? Do you carry a camera in the car? Any other witnesses? Anything like this well help.
Old 20 February 2001, 11:03 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

If it was within the barriers how could you have hit it when you couldn't get past the barriers?

Their story doesn't hold water.

You could inform the supervisor that you are not going to accept their coverup excuse and that they will be hearing from your lawyers.

It is a bluff - but they probably won't call it. Also the bluff doesn't prevent you from further actions.

[This message has been edited by AWD (edited 20 February 2001).]
Old 20 February 2001, 11:07 AM
Milky
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Just got off the phone with Highways Services of the local council, they have asked me to include as much detail as possible in a letter and they will take up the matter.

Chiak : no evidence or photographs, although when myself and my partner passed later on i.e. 1 hour later, the man hole was still outside of the barriers. Still unlit.

I am just about to start on the letter, do you think it would be helpful to send the letter as advised(thanks Rum) to Transco as well ?

Thanks people, much appreciated.

Darren.
<feeling slightly less wound up>
Old 20 February 2001, 11:09 AM
Milky
Scooby Regular

Angry

AWD : This was my final statement to the supervisor, his reply was 'fine, I think we should end this conversation now'.

Transco obviously don't give a **** and would rather go to court over the matter.

Think I'll ring Transco again to get an address and department to send my letter to.

Darren.
Old 20 February 2001, 11:38 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

That's not on the bend between Marsden and the Olive Branch by any chance? Passed there this morning, two sets of temporary lights literally back to back, with one of those red and white plank fence board things stuck out into the road.

You might like to contact your solicitor for some free advice. Remember, where there's blame.............
Old 20 February 2001, 11:55 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Angry

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Milky:
<B>AWD : This was my final statement to the supervisor, his reply was 'fine, I think we should end this conversation now'.

Transco obviously don't give a **** and would rather go to court over the matter.

Think I'll ring Transco again to get an address and department to send my letter to.

Darren.[/quote]

Bunch of w@nkers!

Old 20 February 2001, 02:50 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you pop down to the site again tonite and take a picture?
Chances are they have moved in the barriers and signing.
They should have laid out their kit as per Streetworks & Signing Act - If not then you have a case - but as is the usual situation, the claimant does not take details when the accident happened.
Local Council may not be able to do anything if they cannot prove breach of the above Act .

Best thing to do next time it happens is call out the Rozzers (who may pass it onto the council) and sit there with car in place. I know its not practical but its the only way to stop the likes of Transco allegedly doing a cover up.
Old 20 February 2001, 03:32 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

how heavy is a drain cover?

could you move it to take a few photos, then put it back!?

get a few mates to help!?

I guess another question is on whos behalf are they working. Council, gas, electric etc etc, may be worth approaching them

robski