ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

A very fast Honda !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2001, 12:05 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

My Scooby is a PPP with decat exhaust and Piper X induction kit UK car and yes I might have read the 2.3 wrong it might have been 2.2 he was over a 100 when he passed me. The car had a large stainless steel exhaust and it was not a Max Power add on.

Darren.
Old 16 February 2001, 12:10 AM
Rikki23
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine has a 2.2 VTEC and is very quick when in the high ranges, I believe the VTECy (extra injectors are they?) part don't kick in until about 5500 revs. I think the 2.2 VTEC is quicker than the 2.3.

Coming home from work the other night and a Integra Type-R was right up me going on to a quiet industrial estate. I floored it and it pretty much stayed right near my backside up to a 'considerable' speed. What power do they output? I read that the engine produces more BHP per CC than any other normally aspirated egine in the World!?

Rikki
MY95 WRX
Old 16 February 2001, 12:13 AM
church_monster
Scooby Regular

Talking

your all right, they are pretty quick, I had an R-Reg 2.2 vtec with a few mods, it kept up with imprezas until it ended its life as part of the rear of a fiesta at a junction,..... I knew I should have uprated the brakes. I HATE CRUMPLE ZONES, the only damage to the fiesta was his exhaust and rear bumper (they fell off). My Impreza will pull away from an integra type-R, (and I believe from 130 + the integra drops back...ie not enough power left).
Old 16 February 2001, 12:15 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by IntegraR:
<B>Andy Tang, do you know who does the Turbo conversions, and have you had any experiences/ heard anything about them?[/quote]

This months Banzai, with the silver Veilside kitted Prelude on the front; had a turbo charged Integra TypeR in it. Black with IS200 rear clusters.

I'm house sitting at the moment, but will post details when I get home later!

Hope this helps
Andy

PS - Why not go for the supercharger???
Old 16 February 2001, 08:19 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Question

Last night going down a local motorway late for a meeting I was travelling quickly but safely when a metallic brown Honda Prelude came flying up being me and flashed like mad for me to move. The car had 2 lads in it and was an import I noticed so I moved out of the way. They then pulled in behind me so pulled back out to get past some traffic and they pulled out and flashed like mad again so I dropped to 4th and booted it. At this point the motorway was clear so thought no more of it went to pull in changed to 5th and noticed the Honda right up my **** playing with me and at that point the speeds were getting high and that was enough for me so I gave it up as a bad job and admitted defeat. This Honda then passed me and sounded like a GSX R1100, had massive wheels and a huge EVO type spoiler and a little gold badge on the back, which I could not make out with another badge which read 2.3 VTEC. I knew Hondas were quick but not that quick, someone told me an Integra Type R would take a standard UK Impreza from 80 MPH on but a Prelude.

Confused Darren.
Old 16 February 2001, 08:59 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Once high-revving motors (esp VTECs and the FTO Mivecs) hit their power band, like you say at around 70+ ;-) in 4th then they FLY. Don't forget a standard 2.3 VTEC puts out around 180bhp standard, with lower weight and fewer drivetrain losses.

I remember well having a spin in the previous-style CRX VTEC. Wow. Keep it between 6 and 7.5K and it was sooooo quick.
Old 16 February 2001, 09:08 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I had an "incident" with a 2.2 vtec prelude a while ago. He came flying up behind me at the lights so I took off when they went amber, and got a little distance between us. I thought I would have a play then, and backed off at 60. When he was just about to pull out I floored it. Unfortunately he sailed past like I was driving a mini! Moral of the story - Don't f**k around!

Mark

Old 16 February 2001, 09:29 AM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Cool

The prelude VTEC is a 2.2, so you either misread the badge or it's capacity had been increased. I owned an import one for about a year which I swapped for a 98 WRX Scooby. I've seen the imports power quoted at 190 ps and I remember the Performance Car test of the UK car when it did 0-60 in 6.6 and 0-100 in 17.2 with a top speed of about 140 mph, which is pretty quick. When in the VTEC zone it did feel fast but the Impreza still shouldn't really have a problem pulling away and comparable performance increments seem to prove that. It might be closer near the top end though, but I think the one you came across probably had more power than standard.
Old 16 February 2001, 09:56 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

If it was an import, it may have been a Type-S, especially if it had gold badging.
The Type-S is very potent, and quite capable of staying with a standard Scoob.
It has a 2.2 engine, but has been factory tuned to put out 220BHP, and has uprated everything on the standard Prelude.
A real sleeper, and the 2.2 carries a decent amount of torque to boot.
Old 16 February 2001, 10:10 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Wink

If it makes you feel any better it could have had one of the many coversions available for the VTEC engines.

Like the HKS turbo kit, or one of the supercharger kits!

Personally, I'd perfer the Integra over the Prelude, but I would have to spend an extra £3k, just for the extra supercharger fun!!!

So Darren, time for Nitros??? Just in case you see the Prelude again!!

Andy
Old 16 February 2001, 10:54 AM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Question

I assumed you meant an older shape model (as most imports are), but if it was a newer one then I'm not quite so clued up on them. IntegraR - did they may a Prelude Type R as well or just the Type S?
Old 16 February 2001, 10:56 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Andy Tang, do you know who does the Turbo conversions, and have you had any experiences/ heard anything about them?
Darren, I notice it definitely said 2.3 on the badge, so it wasnt a Type-S. There are afew 2.3's around, but I am not too sure of their perofrmance or HP ratings, though it must be around 200BHP.
Id better be careful then, there's a red 2.3 at the station on a few occasssions, that I usually dont give a second look to, in a "my Type-R would kill that Lude" kind of way.
Scoobysnacks, no Type-R variant, I think they hoped a Lude in Type-S guise would suffice, and according to a few people that own them, it does.

[This message has been edited by IntegraR (edited 16 February 2001).]
Old 16 February 2001, 11:04 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Jap performance or Banzai did an article on a vtec being supercharged (was a civic I think, but they did say it worked the same for all vtec's), chip change etc

can dig out the article if no one beats me to it

robski
Old 16 February 2001, 02:47 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

IntegraR, I remember the supercharged Civic article very well. It's a US kit, supplied ready to go, with pulleys, brackets, uprated injectors, etc etc. Something like £2500 inc VAT. Gives quite a lot extra at the top, but apparently makes a much bigger difference low down.
Old 16 February 2001, 02:58 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Im in two minds about SC or Turbo.
It seems a little sacriligous to buy a car that is so supremely set up as a NA car, and then bolt a blower onto it, and I would never recoup the cost on having it done,
but I also love the idea of having a massive amount of power available in a light and capable chasis, it would be the ultimate sleeper, I imagine the 0-60 etc figures would dip deeply into Scooby territory.
But then again, if I want that, maybe I should just buy a Scooby in the first place.
I will buy the Banzai mag, and have a look, ultimately it would depend on what sorts of results Id get by going SC, they'd have to be excellent for me to bother.
Old 16 February 2001, 06:16 PM
Kussimurran
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well, the Prelude in question was probably, as said a type-S, alternatively a heavily modified car. Never mind. Happens.

My Integra keeps up with most scoobs apart from imports. I once came across an ancient Mark 1 Astra GTE when driving home from the movies with my betrothed, and although I did eventually overtake the guy, it was a long, hard slog, and my girlfriend was pissing herself at the prospect of me being beaten by an A reg astra! Respect.

The next day I whopped a MY97 scoob. Strange.

So the moral of the story is: Don't worry about it.

Andreas.
Old 16 February 2001, 08:52 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Cool

Vtec is not extra injectors, but an extra set of cam lobes. Effectivley the engine moves to a differnt CAM profile at certain revs by using oil pressure to lock a third cam follower into place. The profile on the new lobes (which sit between the two normal lobes - twin cam 16 Valve engine) aswell as being more suited for high revs is slighty 'bigger', therefore the followers follow this one not the others....

Clear as mud.....

Sounded lovely on my old Civic VTi. 100,000 Miles and still revved to 8000. Ahhh....

Old 16 February 2001, 09:22 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

My VTEC revs to 9000RPM and sounds sooo sweet, and once on VTEC cam alot of quicker cars will struggle to get passed.

Question on the Superchip, How affective is the chip conversion on the Civic Type R, or other Type R's.

I would be inclined not to SC or Turbo your ITR Integrar, VTEC + Turbo mid corner kicking in, shiiiiiiiiiiit, tricky, improve the handling, i have just fitted a rear strut brace in my CTR and it has transformed the handlin. Can't wait for Donnington.

Matt
Old 16 February 2001, 09:34 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

When looking around my final choice was Scooby, Integra R or Accord R. Very hard choice as the VTEC engine is so nice when you rev it hard and very fast if you get
it right Just had to have the scooby though, even after six months I still look back at the car after parking it

Si
Old 16 February 2001, 09:41 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Type R

Your Civic was easily the sweetest sounding car at Oulton. I was in awe at the touring car-esque noise as you throttled it down the pit straight!!1

DW

PS I will blag a ride next track day
Old 16 February 2001, 09:48 PM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

There is 2 types of super chargers one is the
jackson racing package which adds an extra
40 or so hp to the 160hp vti taking it up
to around the 200hp @ the flywheel or the
other which is made by u.s company vortech
which gives and extra 95 hp .
That was the ptototype version. T.D.I i believe now sells the vortech kit.
My point being that these kits will have
similar or slightly more output for the
prelude 2.2 vtec.

[This message has been edited by kenny.c (edited 16 February 2001).]
Old 16 February 2001, 10:29 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dream Weaver, im at Donnington on sunday and Croft week Friday, always happy to give passenger rides.

Old 16 February 2001, 11:04 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

TypeR,

If its Ok I'll catch you at Donno on Sunday for a ride. I missed you every session at Oulton.

Hope the Millers was Ok for you.

Lee
Old 17 February 2001, 12:40 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Cool

No probs Lee, priority seat for you.

C U tomorrow

Matt
Old 18 February 2001, 07:20 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Type R, after a little thought, and a blast down the A21, I wont be going Turbo or SC.
There's just something about the engine, everytime I havent driven for a while, I start to question whether or not I need something extra, but after a drive, all doubt ceases.
Im not sure if you already have one, but a V-Tec controller may be ideal for your Civic R.
One of the guys at the Boxhill meet had one, and it can control the point where V-Tec engages, creating a much larger power band, and having V-Tec on tap from wherever you want it (3000RPM would be brutal!!), for those times when you want massive acceleration.
Im probably preaching to the converted here, as you probably have one, but if not, maybe worth checking out.
The only thing I dont know, is whether or not it can result in any engine damage, or excessive wear and tear, but Ill get in touch with the Prelude bloke, and ask a few questions.
Old 18 February 2001, 08:15 PM
Soren
Scooby Newbie

For hondas,
Old 19 February 2001, 09:19 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

They do a Type R Honda Prelude as I am parked next to one today and the guy driving introduced himself and his car. The car is a 2.2 VTEC with 250 BHP with all the usual Type R bits and some HKS stuff he added himself. He has a web site and runs a Japanese Car Club at