ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Advice on which scooby to buy

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2009, 09:15 PM
topdogkelvin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on which scooby to buy

hi guys im in the process of buying my first scooby and i would really like the advice from you guys as there is no one better to ask than people that love there cars i know this as im a member of another car owners club and the help and advice we give goes along way, Well Best tell you the cars im looking at ive got a budget of £10,000 and have been looking at a 2004 uk spec wrx sti also a 2005 wrx with prodrive pack but ive also seen a 56 plate 2.5 wrx which of these are better the 2.0l engines or the newer 2.5 also what is the prodrive pack what does this include also how easy is it to top the 300bhp mark but still keep it senseable

once again a big thank you for any and all advice you experts can give me for helping me join you guys in the fun of owning a scooby
Old 22 August 2009, 11:07 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

You really need to test drive the 2.0ltr and the 2.5ltr engines to see which suits your driving style to be honest. Very different cars to drive.

I personally found the UK 2ltr too laggy. You can get a JDM (Japanese import) 2.0ltr with a twin scroll (better) turbo that, like the 2.5ltr engine, removes the turbo lag issue. I preferred the UK 2.5ltr though. Lots of opinions and discussion been had on here regarding this though, so like I said you need to test drive and make your own mind up.

The 2.0ltr can be tuned to higher levels and is revvier, so makes a better track car but the 2.5ltr can be tuned to high levels cheaper and easier - for example with a 2.5ltr STI engine you can make over 350bhp and even more torque with just an exhaust and a remap.

Again it depends on how you intend to use your Impreza, but I would choose an STI (even an older one) over a WRX any day. Argument is the WRX is more comfortable but just change the springs on an STI and it will be as comfortable as a WRX but with a better engine, DCCD, Brembo brakes, etc etc etc.

With regards to the prodrive pack, it varies what you get for each model of Impreza. Check out their website for more details. However, you can do it better and cheaper with your own upgrades and custom ECUTek remap IMO.

If I was you I would try and raise an extra grand or two and get a 2.5ltr STI. Alternatively, consider an older JDM STI.

Last edited by Mikkel; 22 August 2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 23 August 2009, 04:37 PM
jrrs1
Scooby Regular

Thats good advice from Mikkel..

I've been in the market for about three weeks but keeping my options open...unfortunatley my budget will stretch to about 8k at best so your in a different price bracket to me.

My choice of all the cars you've mentioned would be a 2003/2004 JDM STi, you could allways fit upgraded/adjustable suspention (some come with a remote control for in car changes) if you want a soft ride for family stuff or hard for track/fast road use.

As for the PPP pack if the car has then all well and good but theres a lot of claims that the 305bhp isn't reliable and there are reports of people having as low as 290bhp so take the PPP claims with a pinch of salt.

Make sure you drive the 2.0 and the 2.5 engines as they genuinely feel very different....