Sponsored by:

power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2009, 08:02 PM
foxyscooby555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering leak

hi i have noticed a burning smell from my 1995 wrx and realised there is powersteering fluid droping on the the exhaust, after further investgaion it looks like its coming from around the cap, has any one else had anything like this? cheers chris
Old 20 August 2009, 09:05 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

My classic did it when I first got it...there was p/s fluid all over the top of the block and as a result white smoke always came out of the scoop when it got up to temperature.
This is bad news...don't forget your intake system will be sucking in any of the burnt vapour...when I took my air intake apart I found it was coated in oil residue & that wouldn't have helped the MAF (All sorted now though).
If it's coming from around the cap then is your p/s tank too full possibly? check the level with the little dipstick on the cap unless someone has broken it (like they had on my car). Maybe it's not sealing properly? when the engine's running the system pressurizes slightly as my friend found out when he took the p/s cap off the tank with the engine running and it erupted everywhere
There is a rubber sealing ring in the top of the cap so check that but I'm unsure if that is a replaceable item on it's own. If you need a new cap then it's exspensive from the dealers so I'd try a second handone first.
Otherwise if it's actually leaking from somewhere else...could be a pipe (easy job)...or it could be the tank sealing o-ring where it attaches to the pump unit at the bottom...or it could be where the two halfs of the tank join (crap design). I had to get a re-con tank & pump unit from API Impreza (about £80 a year ago) which is working well for now but the best option if you have to is to get the newer version p/s tanks which are much more reliable when it comes to leaks. Hope that's a help

Last edited by GMballistic; 22 August 2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 20 August 2009, 09:24 PM
foxyscooby555
Scooby Regular

thats great mate thanks, i will have a look tommorow in day light