Scooby newbie

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2009, 10:41 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby newbie

Just thought id say hi,

just purchased a 1999 uk turbo 2000 in mica blue and coming from a corrado vr6 can certainly see what all the fuss was about!

Does anybody roughly know what sort of power my car would have with the following mods? ppp ecu, 440 yellow injectors, thinner metal head gaskets, (bottom end replaced under warrenty), magnex de cat backbox , (i have a de cat down pipe, how much power would this add?), k&n in standard airbox, y section under intercooler, and i think thats about it for the engine.

Car also has the prodrive suspension package fitted, anti lift kit and poly bushed drop links, also a strutbrace up front, cant believe how well the car goes around corners! But the ride on the bilstein dampers and eibach struts is rock hard and i mean, can anybody suggest any different springs i could use keeping the drop, 35mm front and 25mm rear but giving a more compliant ride because while the car corners impecably i would like it a bit more forgiving and not have to dodge every pothole in the road!

Also back to the engine, a friend has an impreza wrx with loads done to it which is running over 310 bhp and my uk turbo really doesnt feel alot slower? just getting to know about these great machines and any help would be much appreciated,

cheers matt.
Old 19 August 2009, 10:50 PM
subaru-impreza-2000
Scooby Regular

Dont know much about uk turbos, but some people on here will help you estimate your bhp.

Car sounds nice mate, post up some piccies

& Welcome btw.
Old 19 August 2009, 11:17 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maff125
Just thought id say hi,
Welcome.

Does anybody roughly know what sort of power my car would have with the following mods? ppp ecu, 440 yellow injectors,
These injectors aren't a mod - they're standard on this type.

thinner metal head gaskets, (bottom end replaced under warrenty),
Thinner? Any idea how much? This doesn't quite add up as an engine replaced under warranty should have been rebuilt with standard bits.

magnex de cat backbox , (i have a de cat down pipe, how much power would this add?)
A decent open neck decat downpipe probably worth 10-15bhp over the standard one on its own, but fitting it is likely to cause overboost on a car with the PPP ECU. This will give you more power than speculated above but overboost isn't a good thing so a bit of care needed going forward.

k&n in standard airbox, y section under intercooler, and i think thats about it for the engine.
That's a pretty well sorted package to start with, makes for a nice driveable car with good throttle response. PPP is theoretically 240bhp, but in practice is often a bit more. If it does have thinner HG's then the compression ratio will have gone up a tiny bit, with a consequent small power hike, but I'm a little sceptical on that one given what you say about the work being done under warranty. Aside from anything else a gasket thickness change significant enough to hike the CR would have invalidated the warranty anyway so a reason to suspect that you might've been given duff info there. Do you have any receipts or other paperwork that could shed light on what was done during that job?

Also back to the engine, a friend has an impreza wrx with loads done to it which is running over 310 bhp and my uk turbo really doesnt feel alot slower?
Are you asking us why?! Always possible that your mate's 310 figure is a bit optimistic, and if his WRX is a newage car, it's a lot heavier than yours which evens things out more. Besides, if that 310 (or whatever) has been achieved with a larger turbocharger, the extra power may have come at the cost of some response - which yours will have lots of.
Old 19 August 2009, 11:22 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome on board.
Old 20 August 2009, 07:57 AM
ross_wrx
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the mad house
Old 20 August 2009, 08:38 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PPP on super will be around the 250 mark (Prodrive recommend you run it on super unleaded) on nul its 237bhp.
Also its definately a running a decat on a PPP's car, they dont like it, its a custom map for the parts that were standard with the pack, changing any part can cause fuelling and boosting issues, both can lead to another replacement engine but this time you would be paying for it

Tony
Old 20 August 2009, 09:19 AM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, the bottom end was done under warranty at 60, 000 and my friend noticed it had metal head gaskets which he said were thinner? Didn't know about the yellow injectors being standard on uk cars? I'm learning!

Also could anybody suggest some softer springs which would go my bilstein dampers? Or would I have to change the whole units? It is really hard, like go kart hard, I'm struggling to drink my cup of tea on the way to work while my vans off the road!

Also a friend has an L reg wrx which has the td05 turbo and lots of other mods which is what i was reffering to. My car definatly doesn't feel alot slower than his.
Old 20 August 2009, 10:35 AM
mit
Scooby Regular

Welcome!
What mods does your mates car have? Has he had it on a rolling road to prove power? There are so many scoob owners who think they're running a lot more power than they really are.
Old 20 August 2009, 10:45 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Getting back into my old '99 car the other day, with Eibach springs (lowers about an inch, I think) and standard dampers reminded just how compliant it was, compared to the ASTs on my blobeye.

Powerwise, it did feel like it was missing about 100 bhp
Old 20 August 2009, 04:39 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Friends L plate imported wrx was rolling roaded at powerstation at 311 bhp and 310lbt with a td04 turbo, 04 sti bottom end, equal length headers, front mount intercooler, uprated fuel pump and a remap map from a guy who visited him and probably other stuff ive missed, now he has the td05 turbo and also another remap to go with that so now probably more like 340bhp? but he hasnt had it mapped since the new turbo.

Just thought my car would feel quite alot slower than his but even hes driven it and says that it goes very well, he also has the close ratio gearbox?

I think an hour on the rolling road would cure my curiosity, but would eventually like to have a reliable 300bhp from my uk car
Old 20 August 2009, 05:11 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Hmmm very optimistic figures on a TD04, is his car a wagon and was the TD04 a hybrid as a standard one will push about 270-280bhp max which is 30-40bhp lower than the figures he has there.

And if he hasnt had it mapped since the new turbo, he could end up with some serious issues, mainly fuel/air related which isnt a good idea on these engines

Tony
Old 20 August 2009, 05:37 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

I'm probably making him sound as clueless about subarus as me but to his credit he's spent thousands on his car including a full respay and he works for morgan motors as a mechanic and certainly knows his stuff, his car is like a show car trust me, every nut and bolt has been taken off replaced, renewed, chromed etc, no expense spared and it definatly has well over 300bhp, i may i have got his engine mods wrong so ill have to check, or just get him to list them himself as hes on here as milwrx.

And is it me or does hot weather seriously kill the power on turbo cars, (first one ive had), as mine felt alot slower today than it has done?

Thanks for the welcomes anyhow
Old 20 August 2009, 05:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Yes turbocharged cars rely on cold air as its more dense, hot air takes up more space so you get less power but its nice in winter
Is your friends wrx a new age car?

Tony
Old 20 August 2009, 06:27 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Lets get the cold weather back then, damn summer!

Friends car is an L 94 wrx import 4 door in silver which is now practicaly an sti lookalike, nothing on this car is the same as when he bought it, he has the biggest ap racing calipers you could fit under the arches, very nice car and very fast! oh and the turbo is a 16G?

Loving the way my uk car drives though, big grins everytime iget in it

Last edited by maff125; 20 August 2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 20 August 2009, 06:52 PM
RED2
Scooby Regular

enjoy it mate and welcome to scoobynet
Old 21 August 2009, 07:06 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

yep he's got it all wrong,my car made those figues with a td05 16g,have since done some more mods and fitted a andy f td05 20g and had simon(jollygreenmonster)map it again,few pics of mine

Old 21 August 2009, 08:49 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Alright mate!, laptop sorted then? Glad you came along cause i was starting to sound silly describing your motor

Operation bodge on the van tomorrow
Old 22 August 2009, 06:08 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maff125
Alright mate!, laptop sorted then? Glad you came along cause i was starting to sound silly describing your motor

Operation bodge on the van tomorrow
bodgetastic