Sponsored by:

Is a Vortex back box too loud ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2009, 04:01 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Is a Vortex back box too loud ?

As title really, fitted to a sports cat so not fully decatted etc,is it too loud ?

i dont do many motorway miles etc but it is a family car,kids etc,currently have a hks backbox which needs replacing so dont want to spend good £££ to find ive gone the wrong way and bought a proper droner of a backbox etc

i dont mind it mild/loud burble etc but not as some you hear proper loud.
Old 14 August 2009, 04:04 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in response to this as been thinking about one of these myself but don't want it too loud either. I currently have a full decat and a racebox back box. Is the Ninja louder or quieter?

Few people mentioned to look at the TSL Group N back box too.
Old 14 August 2009, 04:06 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Fitting the Ninja didnt make much difference really yo the sound

im limited to the back box i can get,as the hks is a 3" bore fitting to a flange that is non subaru standard,only hks backboxes fit it etc,so i need to buy a cat back system so am looking at the Afterburner R series,3" all the way upto the downpipe which is 2.5" standard etc
Its either a H & S custom made backbox to suit my hks flange,wahay,or get the complete cat back R system,sound dependant etc

Last edited by The Rig; 14 August 2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 14 August 2009, 04:25 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Well I had a H&S angled exit jap style exhaust which I believe is similar to the afterburner and I drove to the NEC in Birmingham and my ears rang all day. Car had a full decat and I spent most of the time with the bung in. It was on for about 3 months - came off its hangers and burnt a nice hole in the bumper skin - which was nice.

Bought a TSL Grp N BB and it was by far the best BB I've had in terms of looks/sound. If I have another Impreza I'll probably get another Grp N.
Old 14 August 2009, 04:27 PM
mrsounds
Scooby Regular

i have a prodrive sports cat downpipe a prodrive center decat afterburner center pipe and vortex back box (angled) and it was only a bit more noticeable then my prodrive on there it just made the rumble more fuddy lol but its not over loud so i like it! dont really notice the sound inside after a few drives out!

lee
Old 14 August 2009, 04:42 PM
Jonlu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had a vortex fitted last weekend. Compared to my previous scoobysport back-box, the afterburner is LOUD!. Got a fully decatted system which doesn't help keep the noise down. I haven't got the guts to fire the car up in the morning's without the bung in place. Cruising along at 30mph gives a low, bassy burble which is also loud within the cabin. Driving around built up area's makes it sound even deaper as the sound bounces back off the buildings. You won't be complaining about not hearing the burble.

I'm not used to having such a loud car and if anything, this may be a little too loud for me. However.....my mind soon changes when giving the car some beans. I dare anyone to say anything bad about the afterburner on full chat. It sounds amazing! Giving it some gas will put a smile on your face everytime. The pop's and bangs are also a bonus
Old 14 August 2009, 04:50 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cheers for input guys.
from reading the replies it seems fitted to a total decat its LOUD, but fitted to say,a sportscat its not as bad.(which i have luckily)

that`ll do for me !!

cheers
Old 14 August 2009, 05:08 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Well a local chap had a blitz back box on his classic and I'm sure it had a cat DP and that was loud. Too loud for me. Purely IMO but if its a main car and you've got kids having a loud exhaust is just a royal PITA.

Pops and bangs if not mapped for them usually come from a decat system and DV.
Old 14 August 2009, 06:00 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

the afterburner is loud whatever lol cat or not
Old 14 August 2009, 06:41 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

I had a full Vortex system fitted to my RA and yes it was loud. At 3 different trackdays it was tested at 94db, 99db and 100db.
Old 14 August 2009, 08:47 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
lol cat
Lol cat?

Old 14 August 2009, 09:11 PM
TOMMY_TURBO
Scooby Regular

i have afterburner vortex centre and back box with a decat downpipe and i also have kids and i find it fine cruising its not that loud but when you give it stick its very loud in the car with windows up and cruising its not that loud atall imo
Old 15 August 2009, 02:29 AM
ajc1988
Scooby Regular

ive got the afterburner vortex r 3 system on mine with decat dp also and yes it is loud but went up to bridlington couple of weeks ago which is 80 mile from home and half motorway and didnt bother me one bit yes you can hear it but isnt loud in cabin when just cruising along.
Andy
Old 15 August 2009, 10:58 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

well,i ordered the afterburner R system , 3" one for £345 delivered via scoobyworld.

Got a call this morning saying the price was wrong and it is £399 excluding delivery so had to get a refund,so a bit annoyed.(They have now rectified their website price for it)

now have ordered a custom box from hayward and scott direct, jap style exit but with a 3" bore,so happy now :-)

Last edited by The Rig; 15 August 2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 15 August 2009, 01:53 PM
mrsounds
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
well,i ordered the afterburner R system , 3" one for £345 delivered via scoobyworld.

Got a call this morning saying the price was wrong and it is £399 excluding delivery so had to get a refund,so a bit annoyed.(They have now rectified their website price for it)

now have ordered a custom box from hayward and scott direct, jap style exit but with a 3" bore,so happy now :-)
pretty surely thats there fault and they should have to let you have it for that price? or its false advertising?
Old 15 August 2009, 02:03 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

I have a H&S system on full decat though and im quiet on tickover but foot down and driving enthusiastically shes a noisy beast pops and bangs galore
Old 15 August 2009, 02:32 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrsounds
pretty surely thats there fault and they should have to let you have it for that price? or its false advertising?

yeah,agree,but i think somewhere in the midst of their t&c`s there`s a jargon bit about if prices are wrong were exempt from abiding by it blah blah.
its their loss, instead of getting £345 they now have nothing as i went elsewhere so.......

Ian`s been a great help at H&S Tho so preffered to buy from him anyway
Old 15 August 2009, 04:17 PM
mrsounds
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
yeah,agree,but i think somewhere in the midst of their t&c`s there`s a jargon bit about if prices are wrong were exempt from abiding by it blah blah.
its their loss, instead of getting £345 they now have nothing as i went elsewhere so.......

Ian`s been a great help at H&S Tho so preffered to buy from him anyway
fair play mate think i would of done the same
Old 15 August 2009, 04:57 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

had the afterburner vortex(angled) for a short time, had a really nice rumble and was not ott loud

wiley
Old 15 August 2009, 06:31 PM
bmposer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
I had a full Vortex system fitted to my RA and yes it was loud. At 3 different trackdays it was tested at 94db, 99db and 100db.
Hi

Was this fully de cated as mine is and its loud,

waiting to book a track day but im worried it'll be to loud.