ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Speedtraps on the M40????

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2001, 08:59 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Whilst travelling up the M40 yesterday I noticed two different vehicles looking as though they were monitoring the speed of the traffic.

The first one was based on the hard shoulder between Beaconsfield and Loudwater and was a white van with an odd shaped cone for the roof. Within this cone was either 2 or 3 splits with what looked like a camera pointing out of one of them. This camera was pointed across all three lanes monitoring the cars as they pass.

The second vehicle again, was a white van situated on the hard shoulder between Stokenchurch and Thame. However, this vehicle had a mast extended from the roof with 2 CCTV style cameras, both of which were pointed to monitor all three lanes. The driver of this vehicle was sat in his seat, with a laser gun monitoring the speeds of cars as they went past.

Is this just some sort of traffic survey, or do they have the power to prosecute you in the event they catch you speeding?

Scott
Old 15 February 2001, 09:50 AM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

I use the M40 almost every day to work and back so I missed these. Most of the time though its difficult to get past 70ish because of the traffic. I think the AA use a simple count the number of cars in a lane for about 30 seconds which gives you a rate per hour when multipled. If these are speed cameras then I am definatly going to invest in a Radar detector after seeing the article in EVO. This does not supprise me though as the M40 has a particular reputation as being a race track and their have been a large number of accidents between these points in the last few month. I can remember at least two on the hill after Stokenchurch turn off which looked very nastly. I've lost count of the number of shunts I have seen.

Simon
Old 15 February 2001, 10:15 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The Speedtrap bible says that these mobile van-based units have the cameras in the back, not on the roof. I've seen the "normal" mobile units on the M40 -- luckily accompanied by a jam sandwich so it was easy to spot. FWIW I'd keep it legal if you can see one of these vans, irrespective of what it is!
Old 15 February 2001, 09:19 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

It is getting kinda worrying, the number of "white vans" and "safety vans" with cameras that are appearing on our highways.

Other than a few car-supportive web-sites, there is very little information in the media - you would have thought that if it was a government campaign, there would be lots of publicity (er, spin). Oops, i forgot, this is revenue generation, and thus fully justified! Gotta lower our (indirect) taxes (oops, wrong again!).

Cynically,

mb
Old 15 February 2001, 10:23 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Went to see DaveU out in High Wycombe today

Coming back into London around 16.00 had a minor fright seeing the first of the 2 vehicles you mention parked on the hard shoulder This was after the roadworks at the top of the hill, on the straight b4 J3 (I think its J3). Slight dab on the brakes then realised the side of the van said "Cone Patrol"! There were a few cones after the van & 2 hapless sods working amongst them (rather them than me!). Accelerated again

(The guy on the inside of me, saw me hit the brakes & really jumped on his (80-50 ) - oh well! )
Old 16 February 2001, 08:55 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Wink

Puff,

I work just under J3 where all the roadworks are going on, and in order for me to go north I need to go down to J2 Beaconsfield (you can only get on going south from J3), and double back round on myself. I noticed the van again like you said sat there with "Cone Patrol" written over it - but I studied it closer and there is definitely somebody sat inside pointing some detection equipment out of the roof.

Has it got its the name "Cone Patrol" because it looks as though it has a cone sat on top of the van?

I've also noticed the same vehicles on the M25, but this time they were about 1 mile apart from each other, with no-body working outside of the vans.

It's all a bit strange!
Old 16 February 2001, 09:44 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

I think they should rename them "Cash Patrol". Do you think the DVLA will bring out a Credit Card with your driving licence on it so they can automatically bill you

Si
Old 16 February 2001, 10:28 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Scott

Well, I'll wait 2 weeks & update the thread